PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock

Blackguywithouta400
10-13-2001, 01:01 AM
Is the Rear Shock adjustable one the 400ex? I have a problem with mine being super stiff, it has a tendency to throw me over the front on certain bumps through the trail. What im asking about is the Collars on the top the ones that spin, I guess these would be the preload? I don’t have wrench to fit that big collar so im trying to find out the rest of you adjust yours. Also it doesn’t say anything in the Honda manual about adjusting those.

trx400ex
10-13-2001, 11:46 AM
use the compression and rebound adjustments, they are in the manual, the preload i on the top,,, just take the shock off, put it in a vice and use chanellocks or somethin big..pipe wrenchetc...but they say with suspension you are never suposed to use the preload to prevent chassis roll or bottoming, most ppl do anyway

10-15-2001, 09:38 AM
just adjust the compression to soft,,,,that'll take care of yer problem...you should be able to leave the preload alone..

AlaskaSpeed
10-15-2001, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
use the compression and rebound adjustments, they are in the manual, the preload i on the top,,, just take the shock off, put it in a vice and use chanellocks or somethin big..pipe wrenchetc...but they say with suspension you are never suposed to use the preload to prevent chassis roll or bottoming, most ppl do anyway

I haven't heard of actually taking the shock off the quad to adjust the preload? This is new to me, is this normal? Although I often take the engine out of the quad, put it on a stand when I change the oil....: ) JIM

liltazz
10-15-2001, 06:57 PM
taking it off just makes life easier. there is no room to move a wrench to adjust the preload.

trx400ex
10-16-2001, 08:12 PM
if you take it off theres more room ...plus you need to periodically grease the linkage anyway...so do it all at once and save some time