PDA

View Full Version : YFZ Front Shock Adjustment...

FoxRacing81
08-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Okay, I am a bigger rider for the YFZ and I race MX. So far, I love the quad for the most part. Pull holeshots on LTRs and it's great. My biggest problem was the brakes squealing but some grease shut that up....other then the stock tires not being very good for MX, I haven't had really that many problems...except the shocks..

Now, I do not have the money to get them revalved at the moment, so that's not an option...

I really need to do something though. I really like the way the shocks feel for the most part, except I bottom out waay to often. Front and back...I was doing this very small step up, but launching off it...whenever I'd land, I'd bottom so hard that the frame skidplate would smack the ground...

I mainly just do not want that to happen. The bumps...yeah there nice to soak up, but I'd rather have to work through a section of breaking bumps a little more then bottom out everytime I land...mainly for the quads sake!

Is there anything I can do to prevent this without having the shocks rebuilt/revalved? I cranked up the compression and rebound on the fronts to the max, and set the compression on the rear all the way up, but I am not sure it helped too much..

Please help me out. I'd like to get this fixed if possible before the race sunday.

Thanks
Justin

08-25-2006, 08:05 PM
If the rebound and compression is adjusted to the max the only thing to do is adjust the springs. I think you need a specail tool tho.

YFZ450Ridr
08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
you dont have to use a ''special tool'' for the springs. just use a big flat head screw driver and hammer to break it loose then u can turn it with ur hands.

FoxRacing81
08-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by YFZ450Ridr
you dont have to use a ''special tool'' for the springs. just use a big flat head screw driver and hammer to break it loose then u can turn it with ur hands.

So I could tighten them down with my hands?

Toadz400
08-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Put the front of the quad up on something so the arms are dropped completely with no pressure on the shocks. Then use either a shock spanner wrench or a big flat head screwdriver and tap on the top adjusting "ring" (haha can't think of the name for it right now) to break it loose. Then move the lower one with your hands so that it compresses the spring more making it stiffer. This should give you better bottoming resistance, but make sure to tighten the top ring back up.

korniev
08-28-2006, 12:54 AM
For the rear shock I think it is much better to take it off the quad for all the adjustments!!!

FoxRacing81
08-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, I didn't get a chance to mess with the springs, and I just raced possibly the worst track conditions ever this weekend...so I figured I'd be in for hell, but actually, even with all the mud weighing my quad down, I never bottomed out...:confused: landed hard a few times, but never completely bottomend...very nice...

I cranked everything up...made every setting the stiffest....except I didn't mess with the springs at all...and it was fine. Especially through the whoops. That's where I made just about all my passes, because I was just able to cruise through em.

-Justin