PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to Explode?

ShiftFMX
08-25-2006, 06:08 PM
If I keep Plastic Gas cans in my Plastic tool box in the bed of my truck, do you think they could build up static electricity and possibly catch fire??

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6205/new4us8.jpg

Hyperwarrior22
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
I wouldnt recomend it but they make quad boxes for utes. that can hold gas cans in the box

ShiftFMX
08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
What if I built a wooden box to hold them in, inside the toolbox to keep the two plastics from touching??

250ex13
08-25-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
If I keep Plastic Gas cans in my Plastic tool box in the bed of my truck, do you think they could build up static electricity and possibly catch fire??

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6205/new4us8.jpg WOW, that truck is amazing:eek2:

Aceman
08-25-2006, 06:49 PM
You can't put cans in your bed? I only pack gas when I'm hauling the quad. I just stick it between the pegs and the tires.

ShiftFMX
08-25-2006, 07:04 PM
I have four, five gallon cans i'm taking along with tools and gear I dont really want in the bed for 8 hours.

08-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 250ex13
WOW, that truck is amazing:eek2:

It's nice,but AMAZING???

FasstMidnightZ
08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
I doubt it would gain up enough charge to make a spark and catch fire..I guess I could be wrong, Just my optinion. But, the can holders are nice to have. So your cans are sloshing around and spilling.
Add more lift to that bad boy Adam.

GPracer2500
08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
As long as the jugs are sealed I can't see a problem. Even if a jugs does build up a charge and then finds something to ground to the spark will go from the jug to the grounding point. Unless the jug somehow grounds to something INSIDE the jug (I can't see how that's possible) then the location of the spark won't have any fuel vapors around it.

The danger comes when you're refilling a jug because then the jug is open and fuel vapors can get to where a static spark could occur. Or, the jug isn't open but the fuel nozzle your using to re-fill has vapors wafting out of the end. You touch the nozzle to the charged jug and ZAPP----BOOOM. The nozzle itself was the grounding point.

Camaroguy87132
08-25-2006, 10:59 PM
i think your way too paranoid buddy

DieselBoy
08-26-2006, 12:25 AM
i think id rather just have them in the corner of the box for my own sake incase anything happened. Carry a fire extinguisher JUST incase. Call me paranoid, but fire extinguishers have come in handy WAY too many times than I'd like.

ONE problem with storing them in the toolbox is fumes buildup. if fumes build up inside the toolbox, THEN you have one hell of a problem. See what I'm getting at?

DieselBoy
08-26-2006, 12:51 AM
another thing i forgot to mention is you cannot completely seal a gas can while travelling (in a vehicle). The reason for this is the gas can may burst, they build up pressure (from the sloshing, and movement). So, either way it needs to be slightly vented. Strap them in the box in the corner nicely, and you'll be fine.

knighttime
08-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
another thing i forgot to mention is you cannot completely seal a gas can while travelling (in a vehicle). The reason for this is the gas can may burst, they build up pressure (from the sloshing, and movement). So, either way it needs to be slightly vented. Strap them in the box in the corner nicely, and you'll be fine.

i cant believe you are right about that. i always have my gas containers sealed when i travel with them, and have never had a problem.

the vent is there for when you pour the gas. its not supposed to be a vent when you drive.

Phills450r
08-26-2006, 09:24 AM

i think the sun causes them to do that if im not mistaken :/

NorCalRacer
08-26-2006, 09:27 AM

CA only sells worthless "spillproof" cans now. They are the most unsafe thing I have seen in a while:rolleyes: They are made out of thin plastic so they start expandind the second they get warm (my 5 gallon can now can hold 6 1/2:ermm: ) On top of which, they implode the second they cool down even a few degrees. If you open one when it is hot it will SPEW pressurized gas vapor everwhere, yet it is illegal for me to use a vented metal can and gas stations won't fill it:rolleyes:
Needless to say I don't frequent gas stations that respect the laws:blah: I would rather get a ticket than be crispy...

GPracer2500
08-26-2006, 11:22 AM
You can slosh gas around in a jug all you want. It's heat that builds up vapors causing the can to expand.

dober250R
08-26-2006, 01:59 PM
ding ding ding!!!! the guy above me hit it on the head, I was waiting for someone to pitch in the right answer.