PDA

View Full Version : Making my own a arms, looking for pics and measurements

TheFontMaster
08-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Since my 250r is outa commission, and is gonna be like that for a while, I was thinking what else I could do to my quad. I am in the proccess of building a flip top sub frame, but instead of the whole sub frame, it just bolts onto the stock sub frame. Then I'll be making some aluminum skid plates, and A arms came to thought. I have all the tools to do the job right. I'm just looking for some measurements and info.

What size tubing should I use, I was planning on using some kind of mild steel tubing. What length shocks should I use? These a arms will be long travel.

Aceman
08-25-2006, 06:37 PM
If you really want to make your own this is what I would suggest. Buy a used set of arms that you like on a credit card. Now you have all the measurements you will ever need, what kind of ball joints, etc and you can make a jig from these arms. Make your arms and sell the ones you bought before your credit card bill comes a month later. I really don't know much about making arms but I believe most arms are made out of 4130 chromoly. Maybe 1" lowers and 3/4" uppers, I don't know the wall thickness however. If you do this, do it right! I don't want to read on here about you making a fast trip to the hospital because your arms broke from a poor weld. Maybe you could buy the steel, fab the arms up and tackweld them, then take it too a welding shop for the finish welding. Chromoly might need to be heat treated, I'm not sure. Good luck.

Mcknight#5
08-25-2006, 07:14 PM
I would recomend1" lowers and 3/4" uppers .125 wall thick
if your not using4130 then i would at least use D.o.m tubing
make sure you get your ball joint angles right or when you bottom out your shocks they might brake. also i would sugest heim joints in your uppers so you can adjust your caster that way if your out alittle you can adjust.

TheFontMaster
08-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I intern at a hot rod shop, and I would have the owner of the shop do the welding on the a arms, because I know my TIG welds are not up to par yet. I can't buy new a arms because I just simply don't have the money, hence the reason why I want to make a set. I would be using hiems on all 4 a arms. I would also come up with some kinda jig so that the a arms are uniform.

kustomfab2003
08-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Check here .... 4588941629

it is a auction for a 250r a arms welding fixture... might be of help.

I have built a few sets of arms and most of them have been 1" uppers and lowers. You will find that the cost doesn't come from the tubing, but the cost of a good set of heims for the ends. Also another thing to take into consideration is how you want the mounting locations. Do you want to use Delrin bushings, heims or try and use the factory style sleeve and bushings. I have done fairly well just buying used bent arms and cutting off the mounting locations and using them on the newly built arms, that way if new busings are needed later they are already a off the shelf item.

Good luck,

Josh

BTW, Roll design and Laegers both use .060 wall tubing for their arms but Roll heat treats his.

bardeenm1
08-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm just curious you have arms forsale in another post?????
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250902

250R-Dee
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
He is selling his standard travel arms and making LT arms.

TheFontMaster
08-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by bardeenm1
I'm just curious you have arms forsale in another post?????
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250902

Yes but they are standard travel, and +2 wide. I want to make a set of +3 long travels. I can use my a arms as a starting point, and I probably will, but there is only so much I can do with those.

bardeenm1
08-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Duh I Guess if I only finished reading and paid attention. Good Luck on the LT arm Fab.