PDA

View Full Version : 04 suspension-what do I buy

exrider44
08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey guys Im looking at getting a new front end for my 04 450r. I only ride recreational. I was wondering if you think I will see a huge difference from +2 standard travel to a +2 long travel setup. Is it really worth it for me to spend the extra money? I would rather save some cash so please let me know your thoughts.

rlplive
08-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Do you ride trails /woods at all? If so I think +2 would be a bad choice. I ride track and woods and I am going to get houser +.5 long travel with axis long travel shocks. That is going to be around 2300 bones though. It all depends on where you are going to be riding and how hard and big you will be jumping.

MAD450r
08-25-2006, 10:53 AM
I am now switching to lonestar's racing series. Still standard travel. Unless you ride really hard i'd say get standard travel whatever brand you choose a-arms and just revalve and respring your shocks. Along with a new rear link you'll be amazed how much better it handles.

I know most will say long travel, but on a budget that setup will perform very well.

exrider44
08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I do ride the woods but not often. I mostly ride down south jersey where its all sand. The trails are pretty wide so I shouldnt have any issues with width. I usually hit alot of whoops down the south jersey area Im looking for a nicer ride then stock basically. I defintely want to get shocks but just wasnt sure if I would notice a big difference from +2 standard travel to +2 long travel. My rear shock is already revalved by gt thunder that made a big difference along with a new linkage. I wont be doing much jumping I am about to get shoulder surgery and when I get back on my feet I wont be going crazy.

MAD450r
08-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Since you did the rear with gt thunder i'd to the fronts as well.

TMSmx47
08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MAD450r
Since you did the rear with gt thunder i'd to the fronts as well.

^^^^^^^EXACTLY^^^^^.. Dont waste the $$$ on Long Travel. You would only see gains with LT doin mx in my eyes. +2's with GT Thunder fronts will be your absolutle hands down best bet.

kazpr
08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Ya I am a big guy that is getting into MX and did the shock rebuild route and was great til I got better and starting going bigger.
Now I will be going full long travel.

The rebuild I got thru derisi and works great for what it cost and is.

TMSmx47
08-25-2006, 12:54 PM
hey kazpr.. i know what your sayin. Im a bigger guy to (255lbs) and the claimed rule of thumb says no matter what, if your a heavier rider to go with LT cuz of the added suspension travel and no bottoming.. but for you exrider44, theres a perfect example that a good stock respring revalve works great!

Jersey450R
08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
buy my JRD +1's, standard travel and get your shocks revalved. perfect setup for you right now.

i'll let the arms go for 140 shipped, includes everything!

tltcracing
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
LT is really only needed by a serious MXer. for trail riding and some track then ST is just fine. a properly st up ST will feal basicly the same as a LT front end to the casual rider. and if you are a big guy you dont need LT jst to prevent bottoming out. you just have to get the ST revalved to your weight.

exrider44
08-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Awesome thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it. Right now Im tearing my bike down to get the frame done and wanted to make sure I do the right thing before it goes back together. :D