PDA

View Full Version : Successfully swapped Elkas from KFX to 06' TRX 450R

adinocr7
08-25-2006, 06:56 AM
I have had everyone and their grandmother tell me that my Elka Shocks (RR46R Rear and CR36 Fronts) designed for my old KFX 400 will not work on my 06' Honda TRX 450 R). Well after getting bucked around on my stock suspension I decided to throw the Elkas on and just give them a shot. They crushed the stock suspension . . . even though everyone I spoke with said I'd have to dump them and buy new shocks. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that a freshly valved shock designed for my 06' TRX wouldn't be better. I'm just putting out there the fact that these shocks blow away my stock ones . . . and seeing as though I dropped $1400.00 on them there was no way I was going to give them up without actually trying them. I am so glad I did.

Now I never questioned the front because the geometry is almost identicle. However the rear swingarm and linkage is completely different. I'm blown away at how the Elkas soak everything up and even take jumps like its nothing even with the difference in valving. Anyway I've included the specs for my rear Elka. If anyone has the same type of Rear Shock set up for a TRX 450R (one with an external rezzie and (sport/racing or elite) and has the specs provided if you could post them that would be great. I would really be interested in seeing the simularities.

Specs for my RR46R Rear:

Extended Length 393
Compress Lenth 279
Shaft Travel 114
Wheel Travel 239
Motion Ratio 2.1
Spring Setup / Dual Rate