PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you racers out there.

Xeller8
08-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I know with all the tuning and stuff that goes on to stay competitive you more than likely check temps that your motors are running at and try to maintain an average....

So...my question to you is...what is a normal temperature range for a 300 ex to run at?....I know air cooled engines are designed to withstand running a little hotter than water cooled...but what is average and what is too hot?

bwamos
08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
In all honesty, I couldn't tell ya, sorry. It's more of a feel thing for me. But with the oil cooler on my 330 it runs cooler than it did stock.

Mx_523
08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Well when you see smoke comming out of the crankcase breather hose then you have it overheating. The smoke is oil. If your worried about overheating I'd recommend the Four Stroke Tech (www.fourstroketech.net)'s oil cooler.

Xeller8
08-25-2006, 01:26 PM
LOL!!...yeah I know the signs of overheating..haven't had that happen YET...

However...I've always wondered how hot it ran and last night after riding I decided to check it out with an infra-red temp gun and on the side of the jug just below the plug it read around 310 and I thought that was quite high.

Thanks for the link to the cooler...think I'll order one...$80 is good insurance!

Xeller8
08-25-2006, 06:59 PM
WOW...30 some views and NOBODY can answer this question?

You would think that with all the money some people dump into their motors they would pay attention to temperatures...LOL!:confused:

Sjorge450R
08-25-2006, 08:15 PM
i have a race 300ex with NO oil cooler and it works for me for 1.5 hour races in this!!! I change my oil after every 2 races so it never has a chance to get black.

Xeller8
08-26-2006, 11:17 AM
LMAO!!....HOLY CRAP! :eek:

One thing is for sure....that DEFINITELY doesn't help with cooling...looks like you sprayed it with cement...LOL!

bwamos
08-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Mx_523
Well when you see smoke comming out of the crankcase breather hose then you have it overheating.

We'll I've definatly never gotten anywhere near that hot.. lol.
That's HOT.

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 07:04 PM
havent checked in a while but mine were up to like 350 I think it was before the oil filter was put in the right way, last i checked about 307 was the hottest and about 280 everywhere.

Xeller8
09-18-2006, 08:15 PM
LMAO @ the oil filter being in the wrong way...:eek:

OOPS!!...hope you caught it before any damage was done!

I just recently found out it's not uncommon for them to run up to 350-370 sometimes when they are pushed hard so I guess I was O.K..but I'm still gonna get an oil cooler when I redo the motor. :cool:

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Xeller8
LMAO @ the oil filter being in the wrong way...:eek:

OOPS!!...hope you caught it before any damage was done!

I just recently found out it's not uncommon for them to run up to 350-370 sometimes when they are pushed hard so I guess I was O.K..but I'm still gonna get an oil cooler when I redo the motor. :cool:

Thats what happens when you buy something used....
i didnt have a book first time I changed the oil. so I didnt know better, yeah it seems I caught it in time. but buddy rode it for like 3 months with it like that but it was messed up when I got it, brand new piston and all