PDA

View Full Version : 250R Rebuild x 2

Aughtx
08-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I got back into quads a year ago and bought another 250r after selling my 1st one in 1992. Got this one for $50 more than I sold my last one so I cant complain. The 86 frame had some unsightly welds and ugly plastic but it ran awesome. So my plan was to get new plastic and frame and start on building a 250r like I see you guys and gals have put together. This past winter I seized the engine and I have changed directions a bit.

- I bought a rolling chasis. '89 all stock
- Engine w/coolhead (dont know what dome size) brought extra money this time and got a pair of front Works Shocks AT Steelers no/res, stock front shocks, crankshaft, ported cylinder w/ head, and other misc. for another $60 over the engine price.

So now I am thinking I can take this cylinder and put it on my seized r and get it going. One r down lets build the 250r I want. I am putting the Works shocks on the "new" r along with the engine. What now?

Thanks to all your posts and recommendations here is what I already bought.

- Pipe ESR TRX5 w/ESR silencer
- 38mm Air Striker Carb
- Still hunting for a radiator. would prefer an Afco but might have to go with the PWR (No disrespect to the PWR but the AFCO looks slick)
- front and rear brake calipers (used OEM)
- Hiper rears ( Have 2 Sets willing to Sell one)

I still need the little misc items. Air box, intake, grommets, stuff like that.

I am looking for recommendations on a swing arm, A-Arms, plastic, steering stem. I am mostly a trail rider but if I did go into racing I would do XC. So I would like to set the bike up for that. I am sure I am missing a few things so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

atvmxr
08-24-2006, 08:33 PM
i dont have too much to say as far a mods. The R's are such good quads that you can modify them for anything you want to do. I mean mine are no BS mx racers, but that is want I wanted. If your tall go with a longer stem. I like the look of race cut factory 89 plastic. Laegers has probably been around the longest for the suspension stuff. you might be able to weld up the 86 for a pit bike or something....:macho

Aughtx
08-24-2006, 09:02 PM
I mis-spoke I have 2 sets of Front Hiper rims they are 10x5 3+2 $300 shipped