PDA

View Full Version : worth replacing frame?

hsr
08-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Well if it doesn't suck bad enough that honda just raised the price on 04' 450r frames by almost 500, im torn between whether or not to sell my entire 450r and buy the suzuki 450 or put a new frame under it. I've got almost 2 seasons racing motocross on this frame, and I have 8 cracks in the frame. I am a 125 pound rider, and i run elka fronts with a GT thunder rebuild and link on the rear. I ride hard, but always considered myself to have a smoother riding style , thus being a little more forgiving on the bike. Anyways... by the time i pay the $935 for a frame, get it gusseted, powdercoated, I'm looking at roughly $1200!! And what's to say it's not going to break again in another year! I am so torn between what i want to do... I love this bike but i can't justify the money that im going to have to put into it yet again for another season. I know some of you guys are having the same issues, any input would be greatly appreciated.

TANNER250r
08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
how in the he!! did you get 8 brakes in your frame in
just 2 years i thought honda had good frames

my 250R has a ok frame but i thought
honda was the best

tltcracing
08-25-2006, 03:17 PM
i would just replace the frame. last i checked 05 frames where still around 500 if that helps you. i think LSR makes a 450R fame too. by the time you sell your quad, buy the LTR, buy the parts for that, assemble it, and you still have to gusset and powder coat thet too. unless you have that mush cash to blow on a Zuke, just stay witht he honda.

4ABURN
08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
i would just replace the frame. last i checked 05 frames where still around 500 if that helps you. i think LSR makes a 450R fame too. by the time you sell your quad, buy the LTR, buy the parts for that, assemble it, and you still have to gusset and powder coat thet too. unless you have that mush cash to blow on a Zuke, just stay witht he honda.

Good Call:D

Kev
08-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I personally think the frames are junk. They us cheap steel to make these frames. I bent my 06 frame just tapping a tree, but yea, I hit a tree with the tire..hmm...
The steel they use on these frames can't be high quality....

That is just my personal opinion...i'm sure I would not think this if I never did bend the frame, but that's life.....I'll deal with it...

(just had to vent a bit)

Pappy
08-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Kev
I personally think the frames are junk. They us cheap steel to make these frames. I bent my 06 frame just tapping a tree, but yea, I hit a tree with the tire..hmm...
The steel they use on these frames can't be high quality....

That is just my personal opinion...i'm sure I would not think this if I never did bend the frame, but that's life.....I'll deal with it...

(just had to vent a bit)

Its a correct assumption, and brand doesnt matter.

HAVOK
08-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing

All year 450R frames are over $900 and the subframe is around $500. Now add shipping its around $1,500 for a full frame.

hsr
08-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by HAVOK
All year 450R frames are over $900 and the subframe is around $500. Now add shipping its around $1,500 for a full frame.

exactly...this is ridiculous. Now add anywhere from $1500-$2000 worth of other repairs that are going to need to be done to the bike for next season. We're looking at roughly $3,000 here, I think im goin for the zuke

Flyin-Low
08-25-2006, 10:57 PM
We can't loose another one to Zuke Junk. :mad:

-Martin

dtmichau
08-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Do you really think a Stock Zuki frame will be any stronger han a stock Honda frame? It sounds like the aggressive riding you do is going to break frames, regardless of brand. You are looking at some serious money either way. My advice, buy an aftermarket frame such as a LSR. From what I have read and have conluded (im not stating this is a fact or nutin), a fully modded honda is the superior mx quad.

hsr
08-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by dtmichau
Do you really think a Stock Zuki frame will be any stronger han a stock Honda frame? It sounds like the aggressive riding you do is going to break frames, regardless of brand. You are looking at some serious money either way. My advice, buy an aftermarket frame such as a LSR. From what I have read and have conluded (im not stating this is a fact or nutin), a fully modded honda is the superior mx quad.

Can't run aftermarket frame in most classes at the nationals.

tltcracing
08-26-2006, 11:09 AM
you said it will cost you 3000 to get a new frame up to spec. but if you buy a Zuke it will be more like 10000 and you will still have the same probs. just stay with what you know and save the money too.

HAVOK
08-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Try and get a used 450R, my buddy just picked up a nice stock 05 450R for $3,000. If you have the cash for one you can have a back up motor and alot of parts.

tido450
08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
i think since suzuki fixed the rear linkage problem they have the best frames, they look nice and strong but we will have to see what they look like this winter when everyone tears them down for next season. i could tell when the 450r came out they were gonna have problems near the upper engine mounts are and where the kick start rests against the frame you just cant put a weld there and expect it to be strong. i did think my yamaha had a badass frame till i broke my subframe and discovered the frame had stress cracks all around the sub-frame mounts. pretty much if u race this things or ride agressivly without gussets your gonna have issues.

DJJ450r
08-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Can't you just weld your current frame and get it gusseted and powder coated? Dirt Works does great work on frames, my friend just had his gusseted and powdered and it looks awesome. Not many people have cracked a frame after he's done with it. He did Duane Johnson's frame and he hasn't cracked it yet:macho

kbass24emtp
08-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I would just get your frame fixed. Thats what I'm going to do this winter. Any frame is going to crack. Like Pappy said brand does not matter.

hsr
08-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Well , after some looking around, I've been fortunate enough to find a slightly used frame for cheap. I'm glad i've decided to go this route. Gonna get it gussetted and powdercoated, hopefully i can get another 2 years out of her anyways.