PDA

View Full Version : what 2 get?

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 06:05 PM
ive been considering getting a new bike for a bit now but i still have the 450s in the back of my mind. i would like your honest opinion about the 450r ltz 450 and the yfz450. about 80% of my riding is in trails and bout half the trails are very rough. ive heard good and bad about both and dont want to be disapointed with a 7g purchase.so i figured id ask u fine ppl because i feel that you know your s*** when it comes to 450s. im looking for a reliable and powerful atv compared to my 400ex. plz help and thanx for ur help :)

GPracer2500
08-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Don't forget the Raptor 700. The Rap700 has a lot of things going for it. Reverse might come in handy on really, really rough trails.

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
lol didnt know if i wanted that much power and i havent heard too much about the fuel injection

yfz stealer
08-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by thumpinex
lol didnt know if i wanted that much power and i havent heard too much about the fuel injection
I think the power is the same in terms of numbers but IMO you should really consided the 700 RAPTOR as for the fuel injection i havent really heard any bad things about it

KrazyKeith
08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I had a 400ex too. I say if you were happy with the Honda you had you'll be even more happy with a R. Rough trails are definatly rough on a 450 compared to the ex. It's a good rough. The machine feels so much stronger and the handling and suspension is much better. All the others are cool too I'm a fan of them all and rode all of em. The suzuki is nice but no good for the trails, wide and low. Neither of the Yams impressed me much. If I was in the market for a quad right now I would wait to see the Kawi. I beleive Kawasaki might just have something. But if you can't wait stick with Honda. Get a Hrc kit installed before you bring it home.

tltcracing
08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
honda reliability is legendery and does not fail the 450R. i do think the forward only gearbox would hurt it a little in the woods. i would wait a little wile and see how the kawi 450 turns out. it has a reverse gear and is supost to be a woods racing sepecific quad.

thumpinex
08-25-2006, 03:51 PM
iv been on my 400 for 3 years and have gotten used to whippin it round in a tight spot so reverse is no biggy......just kinda makes me feel funny buying untested atvs the 450r has been out for a bit and i feel thatit has proven its self. my bud got the z400 like a week after it came out and had some problems with it(not saying that suzuki is kawasaki) but it didnt have the time to work all the kinks outta it u know......just dont wanna be paying for a new quad that has more down time than run time .... kinda felt bad for my friend when it happened to him :(

GPracer2500
08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I've got a bud with a Rap700. I've ridden it enough to have a decent feel for it. It's sneaky fast and the fuel injection flat out works. Throttle response is INSTANT but not snatchy. On the trails I'd think the dominating torque of the 700 would be an asset.

By "sneaky fast" I mean that it has effortless speed. The 450s I've ridden have had similar outright speed but they ask more from the rider in terms of accessing that speed. The 700 just GOES with little fuss...

thumpinex
08-25-2006, 04:35 PM
sounds good but with all the dirt do the injectors get clogged or anything when in a ton of mud and dust bc i know in a truck it happens all the time lol and then i end up hobblin it home lmao

oh and the former raptors sit very high compared to hondas bikes did they change this?

thumpinex
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
hehe but the balls out speed sounds good to lol

GPracer2500
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I've never heard of any fuel injection issues with the Rap. I know my buddy muds and rides in dust.

They are a totally different machine than the older 660s. I've ridden the old versions too and that "tippiness" is gone with the new one.

I'm not trying to tell you to get a Rap700 but based on your original post it's a quad you should look at.

thumpinex
08-25-2006, 04:49 PM
ya id deff have to ride one bf buying it.i hear they rip.

quadhauler
08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
For rough trails I'd go with the Honda or the 700 Raptor. The FI works great on the Raptor and dirt/dust is no more of a factor to it than a regular carbed bike. That tractor motor in the Raptor will be an advantage on rough trails and yes it sits a lot lower than the 660 Rappy. If you want to get through those rough trails in a hurry then I'd go with the Honda. You'll have to work a little harder at it, but it'll get you there a little quicker. I do mostly duning on my Honda and with just an HRC kit it smokes piped 700 Raptors in the sand so I went with the Honda after riding all the rest.

thumpinex
08-25-2006, 05:14 PM
what is an hrc kit and i hear it robs the low end power badly?