PDA

View Full Version : Metal Whips?

Dune Surfer
08-26-2002, 09:51 PM
Last time I rode my fiberglass whip broke twice. Does anybody know where to buy metal whips?

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
why would you want a metal whip? So it could bend and look real stupid after the first time you roll. I have seen whips that are fiberglass, and they have a holder on the bottom and they pop off real easy when pressure is applied. So when you roll instead of breaking, it pops off the base. I think it's called a "pop-it" whip. They go for like $30. That would be your best bet.

Dune Surfer
08-26-2002, 10:43 PM
My whips don't break from rolling, or kicking them just from riding. I am just looking for something more durable. Thanks

airheadedduner
08-26-2002, 11:36 PM
Buy a stainless whip. After a crash they can be bent back and look just like new. For the $30 for a pop-it whip you can buy a stainless. I will never buy a fiberglass whip again, not to mention I don't need too.

Dune Surfer
08-26-2002, 11:41 PM
So how are the dunes in Oregon. I was born there and my mom lives in Medford. Is it worth bringing my Quad?

airheadedduner
08-27-2002, 12:00 AM
Bring your quad, ride, and you will be hooked for life. It is awesome out there.

big-guy
08-27-2002, 06:28 AM
I bought my steel whip at the local honda shop (the only one without their logo) for about $30. I've never had a problem with it bending, but I have lost the flag several times blasting through the trails.

Either way, the ones with the rubber tube and bolt setup seem to live longer.

Str8Wicked
08-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Just buy a big whip instead of the little small ones that break if you look at them wrong. Get an easy disconnect whip mount so if it does crack at the base just open the quick disconnect, put the whip back in, and there you go.

MeatHead
08-27-2002, 11:24 AM
Well, you don't want to get a whip too strong. Otherwise you will be replacing your grab bar instead of the whip. The big @$$ fiberglass whips they sell at Silver Lake tend to break peoples grab bars when they roll. I was lucky and the mounting plate on my grab bar just bent, and I was able to straighten it out and keep riding. I have seen many people carying their flag with part of their grab bar attached to it. I think $20 for a new whip is cheaper than $40 for a new grab bar. Just my $0.03 (inflation)

Big - D Racing
08-27-2002, 08:43 PM
What type of cheesey grab bar are you running. Iwant to know, so I never buy one. If a flimsy $10 fiberglass whip is bending your grab bar, you have a problem and it isn't your whip. It's the cheap grab bar made of plastic j/k. I have ran fiberglass whips for 15 years and have never had any problem like that. Only thing I don't like about is how easy they snap if you roll. I Never even scratched my grab bar with a whip, let alone bend one.

Dune Surfer
08-27-2002, 09:36 PM
The grab bar is not a concern, In have it connected to my DG six pack rack. but thanks anyway. I ordered a Quick connect and I am going to buy a metal whip. I'm pissed I broke two whips at Pismo and never kicked it or crashed.

MeatHead
08-28-2002, 08:14 AM
I still have the stock grab bar. But these are not cheesey $10 whips that they sell at Silver Lake. They are HUGE and THICK. They don't bend, they don't break. My grab bar didn't break, I only saw plenty of others that did. I don't know what type of grab bars they where using. I just know that it would suck having to go buy a new grab bar because the whip didn't give enough. Now the whips that they sell at The Badlands in Attica, IN, they will just break right off if you roll. But don't plan on the ones from Silver Lake breaking. If I have to get another one I will probably get one of the quick connect kind.