PDA

View Full Version : Best chain for the money??

WheelieMan4
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I have my quad jacked up right now, waiting for my rear tires to come, and I was looking at my chain just spinning the axle around. I found two spots that look terrible. I must have hit something somehow?? Its like a gouge out of the inside part of the chain. I will try and get a pic and post it up.

But what should chain should I get? Also do you think I should replace the sprockets too? Could that be what ruined the chain?

One more thing, I started it up and shifted into like 3rd or so and I realized that my axle is bent! I cant feel this when I'm riding though...but I cant afford one right now, so I guess I will have to live with it.

Thanks alot.

300excrazy98
08-24-2006, 10:49 AM
i would go with a D.I.D. oring chain, or they call it an x ring, only thing with them it you have to keep them lubed or the oring dry rot...

bwamos
08-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Best chain for the $$$ in my opinion is the Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold Racing X-Ring Chain. $48 for the 300ex length. 8120 lbs of tensile strength. (Higher than DID at 2/3 the price)

If you're not in a ton of mud and dont need an o-ring chain.. then the Primary Drive 520 H Racing Chain would be my choice. $28 and 8510 lbs of tensile strength.

bwamos
08-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Also, if you can find someone with a hydraulic press you can just straighten the axle you have.

rebelbuggy
08-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Best chain for the $$$ in my opinion is the Primary Drive 520 ORH Gold Racing X-Ring Chain. $48 for the 300ex length. 8120 lbs of tensile strength. (Higher than DID at 2/3 the price)

If you're not in a ton of mud and dont need an o-ring chain.. then the Primary Drive 520 H Racing Chain would be my choice. $28 and 8510 lbs of tensile strength.

Im new to this stuff, whatsa o ring chain? I havent really looked at mine yet, I am trying to get it going but most likly will need a new one for my 300ex

bwamos
08-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Basically, a normal chain you have 2 link plates and pic connectiong the links.

An o-ring chain has a spall o-ring between the plates to keep grit, grime, and water out of the pin joint to reduce wear.

X-ring is similar but the ring is in an x shape giving it 4 sealing points rather than 2. ALso has a bit less friction than an o-ring.

The 300ex has an o-ring chain on it stock. You'll need a 520 chain 86 links for stock gearing.

Here's an illustruation I found of an o-ring style. The red is the o-rings.

-copyguy-
08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
I (and some other people I ride with) prefer standard racing chain as opposed to X-ring or O-ring chains. The thought is that if the rings keep stuff out, how does the lube get in?

I agree on the Primary Drive chain though...good stuff. I run Primary Drive 520 H Gold Racing Chain.

rebelbuggy
08-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Basically, a normal chain you have 2 link plates and pic connectiong the links.

An o-ring chain has a spall o-ring between the plates to keep grit, grime, and water out of the pin joint to reduce wear.

X-ring is similar but the ring is in an x shape giving it 4 sealing points rather than 2. ALso has a bit less friction than an o-ring.

The 300ex has an o-ring chain on it stock. You'll need a 520 chain 86 links for stock gearing.

Here's an illustruation I found of an o-ring style. The red is the o-rings.

Oh thanks. I had no clue. I am not sure whats on mine, I am sure its not the stock one, or I would hope not. I got a book I'm guessing the book tells you when stuff should be replaced like that.
Got to read it more.

GPracer2500
08-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by -copyguy-
....The thought is that if the rings keep stuff out, how does the lube get in?...

It gets in at the point of manufacture. The O/X-rings keep it there for the life of the chain. Lubing an O/X-ring chain has little to nothing to do with keeping the pins lubricated. This is why you'll sometimes hear people say the O/X-ring chains don't need to be lubed. That's not quite true though--they do need maintenance just like any other chain. You lube an O/X-ring chain for corrosion resistance, to lubricated the roller surfaces and inner sides of the plates (although those two things are of arguable usefullness), to help keep the O/X-ring sealing surfaces "wet" so friction doesn't wear them prematurely, and for cleaning purposes.

O/X-ring chains are the only way to go for a recreational application (i.e. non-competitive racing) IMO. A properly maintained O/X-ring chain will last for years under all but the most extreme circumstances.

F-16Guy
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
I just bought the black Primary Drive X-ring chain (and sprockets) for my 400ex, and it looked pretty nice. The only difference between mine and the "gold" one is the color and about a $10 price difference. They have the same tinsel strength. If I have any problems, they will be posted on the forums, but I don't anticipate any based on what I've seen.

-copyguy-
08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
It gets in at the point of manufacture.

Ok. So what happens when a person takes a pressure washer to their quad after every ride and isn't careful to not blast the chain?

If they do hit the chain, can't the water penetrate the o-rings and basically start rusting the chain from the inside out, causing kinking and such along the way?

I know...people should know better than to blast their chain with high pressure water...

GPracer2500
08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by -copyguy-
Ok. So what happens when a person takes a pressure washer to their quad after every ride and isn't careful to not blast the chain?

If they do hit the chain, can't the water penetrate the o-rings and basically start rusting the chain from the inside out, causing kinking and such along the way?

I know...people should know better than to blast their chain with high pressure water...

Poor chain maintenance (proper cleaning is an important part of maintenance) will kill any chain no matter what type it is.

400eXr1d3rZ
08-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Out of all the things to maintain, the chain (to me) is the hardest.

WheelieMan4
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Alright...It doesnt really matter if I get an O/X-ring chain. I will probably go with a X-ring chain. Also, how do you guys clean your chains and keep them maintained?

One more thing, is it neccesary to buy new sprockets? Thanks...

CannondaleRider
08-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Look at the sprockets. If the teeth are dipped in any at the point of contact on the chain. Then you should probably replace them.

Regina 520 Quad X-Ring chains have been treating me great. Minimal stretch, and no other problems, or excessive wear. I've ran a total of 6 hard, hour long WORCS races, among other practices in harsh sand and desert, with no problems.

Also had great luck with Sidewinder Titanium Sprockets.:macho

bwamos
08-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I just bought the black Primary Drive X-ring chain (and sprockets) for my 400ex, and it looked pretty nice. The only difference between mine and the "gold" one is the color and about a $10 price difference. They have the same tinsel strength. If I have any problems, they will be posted on the forums, but I don't anticipate any based on what I've seen.

Yep. I said best for the $ because the gold is annodization, so the chain is a bit less suceptible to surface rust.

I also run the standard racing chain. No o-rings.

F-16Guy
08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Yep. I said best for the $ because the gold is annodization, so the chain is a bit less suceptible to surface rust.

I also run the standard racing chain. No o-rings.
Yeah, we don't have much trouble with rust here in AZ, so I saved a few bucks and bought myself lunch:blah:

YZROOSTINYA
08-25-2006, 06:45 PM
woops

WheelieMan4
08-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Went riding today and I broke my chain...lol

So now I guess I HAVE to get a new one. I was looking and I think that black primary drive X-ring chain is the best for me...

tater_kamik
08-28-2006, 10:27 AM
good choice on chains, i would stay away from sidewinder for the money, way too expensive i feel so far. i have only broken one this year, but i coule have bought 2 chains and a 12 pack for the price of one sidewinder, lol

F-16Guy
08-28-2006, 12:35 PM
How are you people breaking chains?? I don't think I've ever broken a chain in the 20+ years I've been riding. I beat the dog crap out of the stock chain on my 400ex and it lasted over six years (I just replaced it as preventative maintenance). It sounds like you're running it too tight.

bwamos
08-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
How are you people breaking chains?? I don't think I've ever broken a chain in the 20+ years I've been riding. I beat the dog crap out of the stock chain on my 400ex and it lasted over six years (I just replaced it as preventative maintenance). It sounds like you're running it too tight.

I've never broken one either. ;)

Some it's just bad luck.. others it poor maintenance, or adjustment.

But if you hit the deep woop sections on a regular basis.. I could see some snapping.

On the trails, it's usually caused by a rock getting in the chain as it goes over the sprocket. That's why I buy an aluminum rear. If it ever does I want the sprocket to snap.. not the chain. Don't want to risk the chain busting my case.