PDA

View Full Version : Apex pro MX90

Northernrider
08-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Has anyone got an opinion on this machine? i want to drive down to get one but i would really like to know what people are saying about them, no one up here in Ontario Canada knows anything about them

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

kasea90cc
08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
my 8 yearold races one, its about 8 mouths old, has broken the axle,swingarm , trany gears , rear shock,and now today i was checking it all out for this weekend and has two cracks in the frame, all welded up now and ready to go:D before the apex he had a kasea and broke it too, if your going to race it its going to brake just like any other low cost mini,for 3 grand its not a bad quad , my son rides the piss out of it and i know it going to brake so i just keep an eye on it.

Livin4Real
08-25-2006, 01:54 AM
If I were you, I'd hold off to see how the xtreme 125 does. It has alot more potential and is a lot lighter than the apex.

Northernrider
08-25-2006, 04:09 AM
Thanks guys, i see there are many diferent types of race ready mini's availble in the US, i am going to try and do some more research and make a desition latter on in the winter as the new season doesn't start until May up here, i like the Typhoo but i am still kinda on the fence with it, i would have to get him the 90 as his class limits him to 100cc's

Thank again

kasea90cc
08-25-2006, 08:00 PM
liven, we allready checked out the typhoon , I sat on it and the shocks were bottomed out "just sitting on it" but there are a lot of cool stuff on it like front disk, axle and hubs, but i think theres going to be lots of breakage, just my opinion.

Livin4Real
08-25-2006, 08:20 PM
It's definitely going to need to be beefed up chassis wise but it's going to be a better starting platform than others with the dual arms, disk setup for the price.

LT80
08-26-2006, 08:19 AM
I got to see and sit on a Extreme this past weekend.
Yes it bottomed out with me on it. IT SHOULD!! LOL
It's the first suspension that I have seen that will actually work for a kid.
The machine was heavy.Maybe made good?
For 2k I thought it was a great machine.
Dual a-arms, disc brakes, very good IMO.

Rey Deleon
08-28-2006, 02:49 AM
my daughter 10 yrs old raced on her apex/pro shark 90 and did real well. it was just a little too tempermental for what i was trying to achieve. this sport is expensive and i know it takes money to be part of it, but what i was trying to accomplish was to locate a quad that will hold up to beginner racing well. as the racer became more experienced then i can build from there.

the Typhoon series fits this criteria to a tee. good luck with your research.

badvox
08-29-2006, 11:08 AM
I learned an expensive lesson with my sons Apex/Aasco/Extreme 90.

When they say Gusset the swingarm before taking it on a track THEY MEAN IT!!!

When they say gusset the gas tank mounts before riding it
THEY MEAN IT!!!

Swingarm is bent just ever so slightly and I am sure it will get worse even with the gusset now because well it was already slightly bent. SO will replace when needed or start of next season.

We just race small local stuff but the kid has a great ride in this quad. It is definitely a screamer. All in all "for me" it required alot less work to enable him to compete

mxdad789
09-12-2006, 08:35 PM
The apex is garbage my daughter rides one and now that it does not have one thing on it factory except plastic and front wheels it has become better. Getting a frame custon built now she weighs all of 60 pounds with gear on and snapped it in half. It snapped right behind the nerf bars about a inch above the motor mounts.

ProMX90
09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey MXdad, where/how/why etc. did yours break? Just wondering what I should be looking for on mine. This is the most extreme case I've heard about these things.

mxdad789
09-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro mx 90 My daughters broke right above the welds for the motor mounts behind the nerf bars where the frame rail bends up. I dont know why but Gregs answer was she is abusing it. I said then i would be sad to say my sons race when a 8 year old girl that weighs 60 with gear is hurting that machine. These machines have never been put to the test nobody runs any gnc nationals except us and one other boy who has nothing from apex but the plastic. They are good cheap back yard machines dont jump, run hard, or race and they may be ok. When they came out last year they were claimed race ready not even close. My and kasea90 on here bought on now the swingarm needed gusseted, shock mount moved, frame gusseted, gas tank hanger breaks needs rewelded,brakes are garbage kenny from k fab will put a yfz 450 kit on there to get rid of all those junk springs to the rear break. You had to vut the steering stem the wouldnt turn hardly at all. The price came down a significant amount. They wernt and arent what they are advertised to be.

mmullins14
09-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Generally the chain being a little too tight is what causes the frame to break on these minis. When the swing arm is compressed and straight out it puts the most pressure on the chain, whick tries to pull the right wheel toward the front of the quad. The swing arm usally bends if it isn't gusseted. After the swing arm is gusseted the next thing to give is the frame. It will start to crack around where the swing arm bolt slides thru on the right side. Our Xtreme broke in half there and our Apex had a small crack, but we caught it before it broke.

kasea90cc
09-16-2006, 07:59 PM
mmullins, so you also have a apex with a cracked frame how ironic, i dont thank mxdad or i run are chains to tite, the frames are just weak , for me if greg at eastside would have worked with me about this new to the market quad instead of saying too bad theres no warranty, "yes no warranty"thing mite be different, all the minis like polaris have warranties but not this one, oooo thats because its a race quad,hahahahaha.

mxdad789
09-17-2006, 06:40 AM
I have to agree with ya kasea90 these are just junk. Its hard to believe you tighten the chain so much it will rip metal before snapping the chain well if thats the case make me a frame out of that chain. As for the frame it is far from the only problem with these things.

mmullins14
09-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey, I was just trying to help. Other than a hard wreck, the chain being too tight causes this problem with the frame on these minis. The Xtreme, Eton, Polaris and others will do the same thing. If you put longer swing arm and increase the suspension travel it makes it even worse. The right tension on the chain will fix the problem. I am an Apex and Xtreme dealer (among others) and we do race an Apex. As far as any other issues, let me know, maybe I can help.

mxdad789
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
mmullins were do you race at and what age and kid rides it. What do you think of the new extreme 125 how much extra will it cost to run one of those at a national level. My apex is junk nothing but problems they say Cobra's have problems my daughters has never had the issues this apex does. I bought it last Oct. right before to 90 kit came out for the cobra. Im gonna get a four stroke either a honda and do it up or the extreme if they can be made to run with the honda for a lot less money. If its the same amount or close to might as go with the name brand. Apex ruined the thought of no name bieng ok.

mmullins14
09-18-2006, 01:47 PM
We race in the supermini class of the TQRA 7-13 age group. My son just turned 9. He is young, but a very aggressive rider. We also race a local track where he won the championship there. We will find out this weekend he he can pull off the TQRA championship at the last race. We do like the Apex, but we have two atv shops and spends lots of time on solving any issues we have had or may have. We broke a few things early in the season, but have been lucky the last several races. We do really like the Typhoon 125 for the money. However, I would not ever try to race it as is. It is way underpowered and has a few rideability issues. I don't like the shock mount running under the a-arm and held with just a few welds. We will be working with one to see what we can do with it. I do think it would be cheaper to build than the TRX 90, and should be much lighter when your done. We have thought about switching, but aren't quite ready to give up the 2-stroke yet.

QuadJunkies
09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mmullins14
Hey, I was just trying to help. Other than a hard wreck, the chain being too tight causes this problem with the frame on these minis. The Xtreme, Eton, Polaris and others will do the same thing. If you put longer swing arm and increase the suspension travel it makes it even worse. The right tension on the chain will fix the problem. I am an Apex and Xtreme dealer (among others) and we do race an Apex. As far as any other issues, let me know, maybe I can help.

We come up with a fix on the chain issue. It happens even if the chain isnt tight and even a chain tensioner doesnt correct the isssue all the time.
Now the Gas tank broke .lolI swear if its not one thing, its another!
MX racing is sooo hard on minis. I liked it better when my kids ran strickly FT! lol

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243679

mmullins14
09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Actually ya'll were discussing a little different issue. We had that issue with our Xtreme, but it hadn't been a problem yet with our Apex. The chain to tight will pull the down bar in the frame forward and breaks the down bar, not normally the crossbar where the engine mounts. We may have a gas tank if you need one. Let me know.

QuadJunkies
09-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by mmullins14
Actually ya'll were discussing a little different issue. We had that issue with our Xtreme, but it hadn't been a problem yet with our Apex. The chain to tight will pull the down bar in the frame forward and breaks the down bar, not normally the crossbar where the engine mounts. We may have a gas tank if you need one. Let me know.

Hey thanks ;)
We just need to do a few welds, the ones that are on there right now arent the thickest -like most of the welds. lol
:p