PDA

View Full Version : what do u think?

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 08:01 AM
i have a 400ex atm and i ride tight winding trails and only play race in fields and stuff. i was wondering what u thought of how well the trx450r the ltz450 and the yfz 450 compare to the 400 in this type of rideing. i hear they all have a high gear ratio ans was wondering what they was like on rough stuff like mud holes and rocky crap like stone walls and loggs. thanx

underpowered
08-24-2006, 08:22 AM
well the LTR450 is really wide for trails, also sits low to the ground so rocky stuff could prove to be tricky. the 450R is a good trail quad, not complains other than some people do lower teh gear ratios to make it more managable in the tight stuff. also a pipe rally helps out the low end of the 450R. the YFZ is also a decent trail quad, i have not really heard much bad about them in teh trails.

But are you riding your 400ex to its potential? why do you need a 450, just to beat your buddies in a field? i have thought about getting a 450 myslef, but untill i absolutly cannot be any faster on my 400, i am gonna keep it. it ain't worth me spending $6000 just to be a little faster than my buddies. in the woods i don't have any problems at all keeping up, the only place they loose me on thier 450's is in long straigts but i catch back up when it gets tight.

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
my friend that i ride with has a kxf700(very fast) but i doo see your point....my 400ex is pretty much stock except for a cdi box and tires. i was thinking of getting some shocks and stuff bc i get beat up pretty bad in the trails,not to mention im kinda on the heavy side for the bike lol. was wondering what u think could make my ride a bit better and make me faster

underpowered
08-24-2006, 09:16 AM
well a good suspension set up will make you much faster and make your ride much smoother. you will be suprised at hom much of a difference just some quality aftermarket shocks will make in your ride. and you will be faster cause you won''t tire out as easily and your bike will handle much better.

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 09:33 AM
what would u recomend for a good set up. also what could i do to make the clutch pull lighter. my forarmgoes dead when im racing after about 5 laps. right now i run just about equal with the kxf700 on the flat oval we have(bout the size of a football field with only small jumps/dropoffs on it) if i could contine to run the clutch good i could beat him every time......i like making him mad LOL thx

08-24-2006, 09:42 AM
for trails, all you need up front is elka rec series shocks...they make a huge difference. in the rear, contact gt thunder for his rear link/revalve, or even deris racing or c&d racing. i know poeple that went with derisi and he is ecstatic with the shocks, i have the set-up on my 400ex that i described...it made me a lot faster.

suspension will make you faster than motor mods will!!!!!!

you are experiencing arm pump...the only way to combat that is practice and training. a steering stabilizer and the suspension will help a little...but not much and it might not even be noticable.

underpowered
08-24-2006, 09:44 AM
good suspension is all about how much you want to spend. here we go,i will list some staring with cheapest/lowest level upgrades and work my way to the top of the line

1. 450R shocks-good bang for teh buck, can be found used for a great price and are a nice addition to the stock EX

2. Works. Not that expensive, can be found used at good prices or aren't too much new. good shock but limits are found pretty easily whan taxed on an MX track. can get with or without ressies.

3. TCS-Very good shock for the price. one of the most inexpensive shocks for the quality you get. very good shock, not that pricy compared to tothers

the rest are disputable in which is better than the others

Elka-excellent build quality. great shock, can be found used and the rec series is pretty reasonable. great shocks, many options available for every rider and their needs

PEP-very similar to works shocks in build, but higher quality valveing and such. very good shocks, but i have no personal experience with them

Axis- Very pricy, but very good. great shocks, high quality, many options to fit your every need.

Fox-Floats are pretty reasonable in price and infinitally adjustable. easy toadjust for where your ride and your weight. just need the small air pump supplied with the shocks. once again no personal experience.

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
being that in not on a mx track ofter im not to huge into man made jumps so i dont jump high or anything like that. im more impressed with gncc stuff(cross country). i hear that elkas r the best but most pll have works tripple rate w/o rezzies. was wondering if these r a vast improvment over stock?

08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
works will be an improvement over stock, but are by far not worth then money when you can get the rec series elkas for a similar price...you seem like you ride the same stuff i do...i know the set-up i mentioned was ponly about 800 for all of it...you can easily spend that for just the front or rear shocks. it works well for the riding i do...at least before i got the 450r...it works well for the wife now, but she don't know any different

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 09:57 AM
i thought that arm pump was with both arms .when i get to that point its only my left arm and i can compress the clutch i have to stop. but if its arm pump ill just have to run myself harder lol

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
ya i was going to get a 450r but i have the kid on the way i figured i could alwasy save and pay cash for a quad later lol.should i do anything for a arms or are the stock a arms good for trails. also i have xcrs all round was wondering what u guys think of the hd's in comparson to the xcr's.

08-24-2006, 10:11 AM
stock a-arms are good for trails, unless you want to go wider...i know the 450r is wider and it comes into play on some of the trail i ride...

arm pump si cuased by an excess of blood flowing to the arm due to excessive use...your clutch arm/hand is doing more by pulling in the clutch than the other hand is by working the throttle. it is probably there in both, but not as bad on the throttle side...exercise and practice are really the only thing that can help it. some say tylenol/aspirin before riding will help, but i don't know about that...

08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
i'll be honest, when i first got he 450, i thought i had made a mistake...that i should have just bought the wife a new 400ex and kept my 400ex...after awhile, and i adapted to the 450, i like it a lot better, but i would have been just as happy on the ole 400ex too

thumpinex
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
cool thanx the arm pump stuff is cool lol