PDA

View Full Version : front fender bolt stuck in gas tank

Quadster450
08-23-2006, 09:27 PM
anyone have any ideas on how i can get this bolt out? I was taking my fender off and this bolt kep spinning...finally i slipped off the plastic and can see a square brass nut underneath locking it in and just spining in the black plastic...i've tried wedging something between the plastic for leverage but i'm chewing up the the gas tank...any ideas?

TCSMotorsports
08-23-2006, 10:22 PM
I have the same problem on my wife's 05. I have thought about trying to use an air gun that will spin fast and try to break it loose that way, but I haven't tried it yet. So far I just fold the fenders back over the gas tank and take the tank off that way. Someone else has to have had this happen also, so please help also.

Sean

08-24-2006, 07:54 AM
honda will GIVe you a new tank...take it to your local honda shop and they will hook ya up...if they give you problems, call honda and they will lower the hammer on them

gbcap
08-24-2006, 08:03 AM
grab the washer with vise grips. thats how most people get them out.

from what i hear honda will only give you a new tank if your still in the warrenty period. maybe i am wrong tho.

08-24-2006, 08:38 AM
i have heard of people out of warranty getting them...but that could just be hear say too

Coolidge
08-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Same prob w/my '06. Check my thread out for more info:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=250006

Quadster450
08-24-2006, 09:54 AM
coolidge - thanks, i should have viewed that thread!!
i'm gonna try one more time tonight to get it out before calling honda - maybe i'll be lucky. It sounds like dealing with the dealership is hit or miss and knowing mine, it's probably a miss...mine is about 10 months old

jkirk141
08-24-2006, 10:53 AM
i used a hacksaw and sawed the head off the top of the bolt and the threads just unscrewed out... that little washer is holding it back....

Coolidge
08-24-2006, 12:40 PM
I just spoke w/American Honda, who called my dealer, and guess what?

....I'm getting a new tank! :D

I just hope I can get it all dialed in B4 Labor day wknd
Good Luck w/yours ~Guy

Phills450r
08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
my 450 is an 04 and it probably isnt under warrenty anymore im sure.. same thing happened to mine.. never took the fenders off untill a few weeks ago and i had to pull the fenders off with a flat head because the bolts wouldnt come out.. i wonder if i could get a new tank also.. and who would i call (not my dealer because they will feed me some bs)

Coolidge
08-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Phil, go to the link I have in my post regarding my tank prob. I have the # to American Honda. My quad still has a month warranty on it. But what really pissed me off was the mgrs attitude, and telling me I had NO warranty, cause, "its a dirt bike"
Pretty pathetic the mgr doesnt even know Hondas basic warranty policies...

wanta450
08-24-2006, 03:04 PM
from now on make sure you keep antiseze on them

Phills450r
08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
screw them.. i just got off the phone with them and they said it will not be free and i will have to take it to my dealer to look at it and its the dealers choice.. and to take it to my dealer they will charge me ALOT of mulla just to look at it.. if anyone knew how bad i hated my honda dealer wow

Coolidge
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by wanta450
from now on make sure you keep antiseze on them

No doubt. I use anti-seize on all bi-metal fasteners. But mine was from dealer assy/mfg defect. Possibly from using 'German' torque specs (Gud-n-tight!) :D

Chango
08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Same thing happen to me ..After i had a fit and chucked my tank into the street i murdered it with a razor knife and bought an IMS..

Quadster450
08-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Chango
Same thing happen to me ..After i had a fit and chucked my tank into the street i murdered it with a razor knife and bought an IMS..

that's what i'm about ready to do :mad:

Beaup08
08-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Same here i got mine out by pryin it out with the hammer and then once it poped out i used vice grips and a wrench and she came right out. Then i just put the threads back in the gas tank.

Punk'd
08-25-2006, 09:57 PM
What I did was screw in tiny screws all around it and it worked perfectly.

DirtDevilBT
08-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Use something that disolves glue and pull the whole thing out. Then take the bolt and mount apart. Take the mount and glue it back in place. I'd use some Gorilla Glue, that stuff is awesome.

PS> this was just a guess, lol. 04 and no problems, hundreds of removeals.:D