PDA

View Full Version : Design Ideas?

Jonesy
08-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Going into the last year or so of college, I am required to complete a senior research/design project. I would like to do something in relation to quads, bikes or automotive. I have a couple ideas but I would like to hear any that you all may come up with.

It doesn't even have to be something new, but a significant improvement over an existing design.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Jonesy

08-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Make a Bumper or Handle Bars.:confused:

WhiteZrider
08-23-2006, 09:10 PM
You guys may think this is retarded but i always had an idea to make mini nerfs for a dirtbike.....does that sound stupid to you guys?

250ex13
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
yeah it does but it would be pretty cool

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Make a wheely bar
Mini Quad frame
crazy nerfs
4x4 bumpers
crazy high a - arms

08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZrider
You guys may think this is retarded but i always had an idea to make mini nerfs for a dirtbike.....does that sound stupid to you guys?
You would bend it or break it when you fall. You are almost guaranteed to fall on a dirt bike at least once on every ride...

WhiteZrider
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Quad_King
You would bend it or break it when you fall. You are almost guaranteed to fall on a dirt bike at least once on every ride...

True but u could make them stronger i guess....and well pros still fall... but if you put them on a pro dirt bike they wouldnt really fall...i think

yamablaster24
08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
why would you need nerfs you are taking your foot off every turn?

yamablaster24
08-23-2006, 09:33 PM
If it was me i would design and build a shifter kart but with full suspension, hydraulic brakes, axle, a-arms-swingarm,

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Make a Sway Bar for TT?

Make a Adjustible swaybar for the New IRS 4x4s and Outlaw 525

yam450_53
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard today.:o

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Make training wheels for a dirt bike :D

450robot
08-24-2006, 12:03 AM
haha, i like the shifter kart idea, but try it with leverage linkage F1 style suspension, that would be cool haha

or just find a CAD program and design something and send it to a machine shop
could be anythng from a clutch cover that holds more oil, to a slip-on or something

firefighterjosh
08-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Make a new Frame for the new LTRs or other 450s

Ruby Soho
08-24-2006, 08:25 AM
make your own nerfbar design

400exrider99
08-24-2006, 11:35 AM
You guys may think this is retarded but i always had an idea to make mini nerfs for a dirtbike.....does that sound stupid to you guys? make some nerfs for a trike. or just desien the whole quad

XCAdam89
08-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Make some Billet Res. Clamps...It would be simple enough, and cheap to do.

Jersey450R
08-24-2006, 11:43 AM
design a new YFZ

mx428
08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Make training wheels for a dirt bike :D They already make them, they're called quads.

Couldn't resist.

Jonesy
08-24-2006, 01:47 PM
I like the idea of a frame or a whole quad/shifter cart, but all money for the project has to come out of my pocket (read broke college kid).

I was thinking something along the lines of a new style of steering dampner, or new style anti vibe stem or bars, or new style adjustable levers.

My buddy suggested a new style axle carrier similar to those used on shifter carts. The bearings are in a sealed, oil bathed housing so the lifetime of the bearing are incredibly long relative to the current style of sealed bearings and a dust seal. I know for me it would be beneficial, since the terrain I ride it will chew up a set of bearings every 2-3 months.

It has to be something more complex than a simple bumper, nerfs, or the like, but not as complex/expensive as a whole bike.

I have show reasoning behind the use of materials selected, fatigue and strain calculations, and any other calculations of physical properties.

Thanks again for the ideas and keep them coming, maybe something will strike me and I'll just have to design and build it.

Jonesy

underpowered
08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
you could make me a set of LT a-arms for my quad.:D I would even help you make it, as long as you design it. whatever you make, you got to make it for a 400ex.:macho

What about a new exhaust, if we get the dyno here at holeshot we could have all the test and tune time we needed.

You could build a complete custom drag quad, me and larry already said we would be willing to help fund one.

remember, you got access to all kinds of machine shops so options are limitless (A&P, Holeshot, NKU's, and Bostaff has a CNC machine i am sure he would help you out if you needed it.)

Jonesy
08-24-2006, 03:09 PM
You know anyone with a TIG welder?

I was also tossing around the idea of a mini rail buggy, that utilized a quad or streetbike engine. The only real problem I forsee with the mini rail is the design and manufacture of the rear knuckle assembly. Having the half shaft driven through the knuckle/hub would take some time. Or could source a pair from a IRS quad.

A new exhaust wouldn't be bad as long as we had a dyno.

A slightly simpler idea I had was to design a bolt on anti-vibe device that wouldn't require replacement of the stem or current bars, but would replace the factory mounts.

Let me know if any of these sound good, bad or whatever.

Jonesy

ilpadrino113
08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Make training wheels for a dirt bike

My neighbors kid had trainign wheels on his dirt bike. (the kid was 3 and kept em on for 4 weeks) I've seen on real small bikes at the local dealer