PDA

View Full Version : Timing Problems HELP Please!

o20one20o
08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
As the title states, I am having problems with timing, I think. It is a PSI 265 powervalve topend that I had rebuilt by East Coast ATV back in April. Since day one I have been having problems with it blowing the pipe off the flange. I had a VERY bad experience with Dave so I didnt waste my time asking him about anything. For a few months I got frustrated about the whole situation and let it sit in my garage but now I am going to school so I need to sell it but I won't sell anything that isn't running right so the last couple days I have been messing with it and cannot figure out how to set up the timing. Any help anyone can give me is appreciated.

Also, when I kick it over, at the bottom of the kick it sounds like two pieces of metal are brushing passed one another because it makes a screeching/cracking noise. When I drain bottom end oil, there is always a lot of metal shavings in the oil. Any suspected explanations for this? A guy I work with told me it could be the kick gear and that I should clean it out and bumpstart it to see.

danbobsR
08-23-2006, 06:38 PM
have you pulled the clutch cover off to look to see what is getting eaten if you got metal shavings in the oil it isnt a good Idea to be trying to start the thing the kicker gear may be hitting something if it wasnt put back right as far as the blowing the pipe off if it is timing related the flywheel key might have sheared in half just happened to mine bike it would backfire bad when you go to start it. bike is fine now but it took me a while to figure out that was what was wrong. I dont think the timing is adjustable unless you got a hinson bearing holder which would allow for timing adjustments.

o20one20o
08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
I am going to look what's under the clutch cover this weekend. Mine does the same thing as far as backfiring when I kick it over. Thanks for the info.