PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

papaw
08-26-2002, 08:08 PM
anyone have fst's oil cooler?my friend just bought one and we were wondering if this thing was pumping enough oil up through the new cooler.i've never messed with the stock oil pump let alone one pumping through the extra lines.mickey if your out there can you help us out......thx..

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 08:15 PM
I have it and it works great. No problems with the oil pump at all. I talked to mickey when I bought mine because I had the same questions. He said, his riders use's them and race with them all year long, they have not had any problems with them or the stock oil pump. So I bought the system and it works great and i'm happy with the investment.

papaw
08-26-2002, 08:27 PM
hay big-d,how did you fill the lines?he had that underlined like it was crucial.i know oil is critical but does all the air need to be out of the new lines?

08-26-2002, 08:36 PM
yes the air need to be out of the lines. if not the cam will run with no oil on it for a while and that will hurt it bad. if you want to see how much oil is pumping through it take one of the valve caps off and start it up it has tons of nice cool oil pooring onto you cam

nathan

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 10:05 PM
i used a funnel and poured a little in at a time, and would THOUGHRLY CLEAN any oil off the outside of the line, and then I'd blow it threw the lines just using my mouth. If you got a compressor I'd use that, if not got to use the lungs. Just don't suck or you'll get a mouth full of oil.:huh

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Something I did which I haven't seen anyone else do is, throw away the rubber lines you get with the kit and replace with stainless steel lines. It cost me @ $50. It looks totally trick, and it will hold up a lot better around your hot engine.
Here's a pic:

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Here's another

L.Vegas400
08-26-2002, 10:42 PM
im gonna do this mod with no instructions or a kit. well i take that back, that why im gonna ask is for instructions. how does the oil get pumped through the cooler. i know with the pump, but which line is pressure and which is return. i would guess that the upper would be return cause you say it dumps oil on the cam, am i correct? and where the lower one attaches, is that in a spot where there is pressure from the pump. i found a perma-cool cooler in a jegs mag for $36. all i need i the braided lines. a shop out near the race track wants $145 for the same cooler, two hoses and 90* fittings, two zip ties, and a fancy protector screen. i personaly think thats outragous. i guess you get insturctions with it.;)

Big - D Racing
08-26-2002, 11:17 PM
that's the correct flow. You have to drill the hole in the side case and the head in a paticular spot. If you don't it won't work. You also have to clog a hole in the engine where the oil travels. You clog so it forces the oil up through the new oil lines instead. Otherwise, it won't feed oil through the oil cooler. You have to know where that hole is. The FST kit comes with a little ball bearing to stuff in that hole. It's a real small hole (2 - 4mm wide)My kit was missing it. Icalled Mickey Dunlap up he said, just put some jb weld in it. I went with something that is similiar to jb weld and it worked perfect. No problems at all. Lucky for you I have my directions with the pic. I can scan them and email them to you if you'd like. Give me your email address, I'll send it tomorrow sometime.

VegasEx'r
08-27-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
im gonna do this mod with no instructions or a kit. well i take that back, that why im gonna ask is for instructions. how does the oil get pumped through the cooler. i know with the pump, but which line is pressure and which is return. i would guess that the upper would be return cause you say it dumps oil on the cam, am i correct? and where the lower one attaches, is that in a spot where there is pressure from the pump. i found a perma-cool cooler in a jegs mag for $36. all i need i the braided lines. a shop out near the race track wants $145 for the same cooler, two hoses and 90* fittings, two zip ties, and a fancy protector screen. i personaly think thats outragous. i guess you get insturctions with it.;)

Hey L.Vegas, when are you planning on doing that? I'd like to see the finished product, if that's okay. This desert heat just sucks the HP out of am air cooled engine...

L.Vegas400
08-27-2002, 01:40 AM
im about to move into a house the end of sept so i guess ill have to get pieces as money allows. the sooner the better. i agree, the heat sucks @ss here. where are you located in vegas(i think weve talked about this but forgot)

VegasEx'r
08-27-2002, 09:56 AM
I'm in NLV near Ann & Commerce. I've got Easy access to the desert from my driveway (for now)...

oynot400
08-27-2002, 12:49 PM
I have been looking at this oil cooler set up for a while. I would like something that replace the stock cooler and go in its place. I was wondering if you took 2 stock coolers and take them to a radiador shop and have them add a couple rows of fins from one to the other.
Then last night I was looking at a friends Polairs 335 Sportsman. They have an oil cooler that looks just like the 400's except twice as many rows of fins. It also has a thermostaticly controlled fan on it too. I thought about trying that idea also.
Any thoughts.....:confused:

Dudefire607
08-27-2002, 02:13 PM
The 400's cooler is and odd bird, Honda uses some goofy *** fittings for some peculiar reason and I doubt that Polaris uses anything close. You can expand your options if you're willing to cut your factory hoses or shell 75.00 for a new set to play with.

Dudefire

Rastus
08-27-2002, 09:05 PM
How tight does the fittings need to be,I can get them tight, but not THAT tight. Could I just use some kind of motor seal,or liquid gasket to be sure?

Big - D Racing
08-27-2002, 09:19 PM
I used cooper high temp. gasket sealer around the fittings and the hose clamps pretty tight.

L.Vegas400
08-28-2002, 04:12 AM
prolly just tight enough as to not leak. i dont thing there is a lot of pressure running through the lines.

papaw
08-28-2002, 01:15 PM
big-d,still having probs. with this oil cooler.we wanteds to make sure that the cam was getting oil,so we pulled the oil line that goes into the cam cover.when cranking it over we should see oil coming out of this line,correct?or should this all be tied in to create pressure?thx for the help....troy

PsychoDave
08-28-2002, 01:57 PM
I am interested , please post the instructions from the kit. And what comes in the kit. I am not being cheap but if I have all of the stuff at home.....why pay for a kit.

Rastus
08-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Also, I didnt take the sidecase off to drill and tap the threads, so theres a good bit of metal shavings in there..:( is that bad, Or will they come out when I change the oil? I hope I dont have to take it apart....Im up into my head in parts already,lol. Theres parts from 2 quads all over my garage. :D Could I just put some oil in there, and nudge it down into the filter with a screwdriver?

Dudefire607
08-28-2002, 04:21 PM
:eek:

Dude,

You best be takin' that cover off right now and performing some suction! Metal shavin's is bad news. I think the sarge would have you drop and give him 50 on the spot!