PDA

View Full Version : my fan is hitting my radiator.

rap169
08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
i know its easy to fix this and add a washer behind the mounts, but i can figure out why it happened. Its just very lightly scuffing the radiator. Did the plastic fan warp from the heat? Abybody else have this happen? I did get hot in one harescramble when my temp sensor wire came undone and the fan never turned on. It got hot for a half a lap before i noticed the smell of antifreeze. I pulled off the track and let it cool and didnt finish the race. Maybe that time caused the fan to warp?

tltcracing
08-23-2006, 04:00 PM
hmmm. i have never herd of this prob before. im sure, like you said, it an easy fix. are the blades themselves hitting the rad? im almost about to take mine off but keep flip floping on what to do.

rap169
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
ya the blade itself is hitting on the left side. you can actually hear it just scraping the fins

cletusEX
08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
I had a bolt come loose on my fan and rub a hole in my radiator. It would start spraying out coolant when it would get hot. As soon as I put the bolt back in it was fine (I had to get a new radiator though). Check and make sure your radiator is good.

08-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I had the same problem. I just shimmed mine back with a washer like you said. Mine was caused by my radiator beinging tweeked. It was kinda twisted. I didn't notice it until one day I say the lower corner by the lower hose was crushed and the hose outlet was smashed half way shut. Since then I have replaced the radiator, fan motor and blade.

allstock
08-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
hmmm. i have never herd of this prob before. im sure, like you said, it an easy fix. are the blades themselves hitting the rad? im almost about to take mine off but keep flip floping on what to do.

sorry if im hijacking but just a quick question. what will taking off the fan do? is it bad for the motor? i've seen alot of pics of 450rs without the fan on here

08-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by allstock
sorry if im hijacking but just a quick question. what will taking off the fan do? is it bad for the motor? i've seen alot of pics of 450rs without the fan on here

The quads you see with no fans are MX quads. They run 15 or 20 minutes and then there done. It isn't recommended for the trail rider/XC racer. Especially in South Florida.

motox450
08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I have honestly thought of taking mine off. I have had my r for two years and even in 105 degree heat I have never once had my fan kick on! At this point its just sitting there adding weight to my quad. But i kind of like the extra security.

Scro
08-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I had the same problem. I just shimmed mine back with a washer like you said. Mine was caused by my radiator beinging tweeked. It was kinda twisted. I didn't notice it until one day I say the lower corner by the lower hose was crushed and the hose outlet was smashed half way shut. Since then I have replaced the radiator, fan motor and blade.

Mine was tweaked/twisted also. I would shim the fan housing ASAP. Mine rubbed a hole in the radiator before I realized anything was wrong :mad:

tltcracing
08-24-2006, 04:08 PM
i remeber a long debate on wether to take the fan out for a MX only quad. i am in florida and it does get hot but i am alwase moving (alwase on the track) and have never had fan kick on. i had it on more up in PA then in FL. like said before it is nice to know its there but also a burden knowing its not doing much but being dead weight. does anyone remeber the outcome of the debate?

08-24-2006, 05:47 PM
The fans coming on you just don't realize it.

motox450
08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
No i am telling you with any doubt in my mind that my fan has never came on. In two years of me racing my fan has not came on not one time.

Digsy
08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
I was wondering the same thing about my 'o5 ... I am riding in the desert in Qatar and I have not noticed my fan coming on ever .. it was over 120 deg last weekend and I still don't see it, even when the bike is standing running, right after getting back to the trail head after a ride..

I was going to drop her in the dealers this week because I was concerned about that ... so are some of you thinking that this is normal?