PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars...again

zephead400ex
08-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Hey, whats up guys? I have a '02 400ex. I need some suggestions for some handlebars. I am not wanting to spend more than $70. I want some Low Bend bars. What would you all suggest? Pics would also be appreciated!

08-27-2002, 09:17 AM
You need to spend the $70 for some good bars,,don't be cheap about it,,you'll be mad when you spend $30 on some bars and roll the quad and bend them like there made of plastic. Get some good aluminum bars,,they are worth the money..

Smoker
08-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Renthal CR high bend, they sit 1 inch lower than stock and are pretty comfortable. Everyone has a preference though. :p

mansonclubpuir
08-27-2002, 12:29 PM
i bought renthal yamaha raptor bend bars. Very nice... i have alot more clearance now and they fit very well. I should have taken a look at the 400ex bend before i bought the yamaha bend, but TOO LATE... i still like it.

buy renthal... end of discussion

Str8Wicked
08-27-2002, 05:34 PM
TAG, Don't know what bend, they just say quad bend on the package when I baught them. I believe they are pretty close bend to the stock 400ex.... Much lighter, strong, and look a **** of a lot better...

Str8Wicked
08-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Here's a better look....

Wheelie
08-27-2002, 09:15 PM
Renthal ATV Race Bend bars.

I've had a few spills and haven't bent them yet.:D

SGA
08-27-2002, 09:22 PM
I run renthal fourtraxx bars. Seem to work well. I'm pretty sure its the same as 250r and 300ex bars. About 1 inch higher and one inch back more on the ends.
Rico's right, don't skimp on bars. renthal and tag are so much better than the cheap stuff.

08-27-2002, 09:24 PM
oh ya, i have a set of renthal atv race bars. love then. best mod i have done yet. i stress yet!!

bigbadbrad
08-28-2002, 03:34 PM
tag quad bend i got them flipped a couple of times and still as stright as hugh hefner. they cost undr 70 i think they are really nice and good quillity

zephead400ex
08-29-2002, 02:48 PM
Where can you get Renthal Cr High Bend bars? I cannot find them through www.rockymountainatv.com or www.denniskirk.com. Also will I need to get a new clamp kit? If so, which one for these bars? Thanks guys!

08-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Where can you get Renthal Cr High Bend bars? I cannot find them through www.rockymountainatv.com or www.denniskirk.com. Also will I need to get a new clamp kit? If so, which one for these bars? Thanks guys!

call the quadshop or marcums,,they cheaper garuanteed..:D

Ex_Rider43
08-29-2002, 03:18 PM
I agree that tag bars are really strong. when I flipped the other week, the stem was so bent that I cant turn the wheels cuz the bars were touching my side panels. but they were straight. I highly recomend them.

DEAL
08-29-2002, 03:23 PM
I have msr dominator bars, $30 , they are very strong , my bars have survived 2 bad roll overs.

LRD_27
08-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
I have msr dominator bars, $30 , they are very strong , my bars have survived 2 bad roll overs.

MSR Dominator suck man.I broke mines the other day so i think is not very strong!!??!

Sick0
08-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Don't get the rethal . I hated my, They have a weird bend to them. I love my protapers. I bought my for 25.00

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 09:13 PM
Ok... Im new to some of this stuff, but My Husband bit it last wk. end and now his handlebar is slightly bent,and when you turn them, they rub on the plastic:confused: is he going to have to replace the bars and the stem?its only when he turns sharp, I did notice that the piece(i have no clue what its called)between the bars and the stem(flat piece with a few bolts in it) is bent also, but it looks like it is attached to the stem,do I need to replace ,if so where is a good place to buy these parts,and is it costly??, Im also going to have to decide on handlbars,never done before,but Im sure he will want to stick with something very similar to the stock, just something more dureable...any good suggestions for me?? :) Thanks!

flying400ex
09-04-2002, 09:26 PM
I like 250r bend on any bar i like Renthal but want to get tapers. In 250r bend of course

stocktires
09-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Im with flyin, I like the R bend. Much more comfortable than the 400ex bars (tall and look like bmx bicyle bars). I may get some Tag CR Double High bend bars in the future though.

stocktires
09-04-2002, 09:42 PM
O yea, Quadjunkies.
Unless you can get the stem straightened, you'll need a new stem which runs like $50-$60. Or you could get an aftermarket stem (Call Burgard, their only $175 plus shipping and VERY nice)

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 09:42 PM
are these good for hard jumping??Thats how he bent his stock, and it was on sand!!:mad:

stocktires
09-04-2002, 09:44 PM
yes, you could always get the think Tag T2 or Renthal fatty bars which are thicker, but the regular renthal bars and tag bars are definatley strong enought, Way stronger than stock.

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 09:44 PM
THanks for the reply:)! I was wondering what the difference in the pricing was?And how hard is it to put on? DO you know how to try and bend? it looks pretty hard to do..Thanks again for your suggestions

stocktires
09-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Cant remember, but I have heard of people doing it. I dont think it would be as strong after straightening it. He bent the stem AND bars jumping that badly? wow
tag and renthal are about the same (65-70 or so). But I think new stock ones are about the same price as the MUCH better aftermarket bars

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 09:49 PM
I guess I should take it to the dealer and compare it to one on the floor and see if the stem is bent or not,that way I dont spend $$$ I dont need to spend, But Im pretty sure Ill need the handlebars,are these you suggested also good for the 300ex? I would like new bars for mine, Im too tall for the stock ones, and I feel like Im hunched over the bars, and feel like Im going to go over!he,he,I would like some taller bars,Ive been doing searches on this, but none of them really answer alot of my quastions.Does ROcky Mnt. ATv sell this stuff??

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 09:52 PM
Yeah, the problem was ..he landed on one tire and front left and he landed really hard,so it put alot of pressure on that one tire:(

stocktires
09-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Some people have charts of the sizes of bars.
The 400ex bars are a good bit taller. 300EX bars and 250r bars are the same bend. It all depends on your riding stye, I like to be lower one the quad than laid back and having my hands in the air like a harley or sumthin, but thats just me.
I wouldnt BUY anything from the dealer, alot of dealers are just there to make money, not friends, buy they should definatley be able to help you, and Alot of guys on here are selling stems for very cheap prices (they've upgraded to aftermarket ones)
If you take the stem off, you should be able to see if its bent or twisted. You can always call up nac's or a more quad specific (and knowledgable than Rocky mountain) company and ask them, they'll hook ya up. Or the quadshop or marcums (site sponsers).
There's not much to takeing it off, just ubolt the tie-rods, bottom nut, stem clamp and bars.
Just use a wrench and a long piece of pipe to get the bar clamp bolts loose to get the bars off, and when putting the bars back on, tighten the top ones a good bit before the bottom ones, and then tighten the tops all the way down, then the bottoms.

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 10:10 PM
THanks for all your help. I printed thsi for him to see!! I always know I can better advice here than from thedealers,they really dont know a whole lot around here,we tend to know more than they do when it comes to quads most of the time:rolleyes: which is pretty sad..I will ckeck with a few leads...Thanks!:):):)

vtwoodsrider
09-05-2002, 06:10 PM
i am 6'3" and i ride with the tag t2's with a quad bend and they are plenty tall enough for me. plus they dont have the cross bar which makes tank wheelies a lot easier on your legs

stocktires
09-05-2002, 06:12 PM
On renthals and maybe tags you can take off the cross bar

DEAL
09-05-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm selling my domminators for renthal atv race bend, they are a little weird at first but you get used to them. i really like them tho.

QuadJunkies
09-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the info on the bars, I would have never took it into consideration them being hard on the legs, He loves to do wheelies, so thats good to know..:)

ChadEXer
09-06-2002, 09:47 AM
Get you some UMI bars,,they make only one bend for a Honda but it was the same bend as my Old Renthals and i love them!! they look good too,,,and come in all colors!!! They retail for $59.99