PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the Shifter?

04Ltz40015
08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
When you adjust the shifter how do you get the bolt back in the hole? The frame is in the way for me. Are you not able to adjust it up?

Rooprick
08-23-2006, 11:51 AM
You can go up about 2 splines. You must drop about 20" F bombs" . It can be done by wiggling it in there. It is a big pain in the butt...Oh and you must cut the cover or get rid of it.

AL Elks
08-23-2006, 12:11 PM
You have to shift it all the way down into 1st and hold it down and then put the bolt in.

You can adjust it up a max of 2 notches doing this. 2 notches is REALLY hard to get due to the frame like you mentioned.

04Ltz40015
08-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks, I got it up I think 2 and I did cut the plastic cover.

TRXDresh
08-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Anyone have a case saver yet?

KWAD GAWD
08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Every shifter is adjustable. It's a splined shaft, remove the bolt completely. The bolt passes through a groove in the shaft, move the shifter up a notch or 2. The plastic cover must be trimmed to avoid hitting the shifter once moved. You can run without the cover if you like, you'll need 2 shorter bolts from the hardware store with the same threads. You MUST use the stock case saver still, but you can ditch the cover.

If the frame is in the way, you're not using the right tool.
Using a ratchet? ... try an open end homey.

dvx rider1
09-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I don't dissagree w/ kwad gawd on it being possible but I do think it's not probable. It is such a royal PITA to change something that all of us move, another engineering goof. Between this and the super-sprung springs I'm guessing their test rider was a sumo wrestler w/ size 5 narrow feet!! I removed my old bolt and bought an allenhead bolt instead to make it more doable, try that.

jon67
09-08-2006, 09:32 PM
hahah yea it takes about 20 f bombs is right. thats what i did then i cut the plastic cover

AL Elks
09-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by dvx rider1
I don't dissagree w/ kwad gawd on it being possible but I do think it's not probable. It is such a royal PITA to change something that all of us move, another engineering goof. Between this and the super-sprung springs I'm guessing their test rider was a sumo wrestler w/ size 5 narrow feet!! I removed my old bolt and bought an allenhead bolt instead to make it more doable, try that.

You know I tend to overthink things but darn it I didn't even think about using an allenhead bolt.

EXCELLENT IDEA!

TTZ450
09-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I HAVE A PRO ARMOR CASE SAVER AND SPROCKET COVER

LTandRaptorider
09-10-2006, 03:07 PM
I finally got around to adjusting my shifter last night. After putting AC pro peg nerfs on, the shifter was too low. Here is how I did it, worked out pretty good. First, using a 10mm socket to remove the sprocket cover and case saver. Then use a 12mm box wrench to remove the lower roller. This allows better access to the bolt on the shifter. Use an 8mm socket to remove the bolt on the shifter. Move it up a notch or two. Now, have your socket, extension and ratchet and bolt ready. With the tranny in neutral, push down on the shifter to first. Important now, hold it down as it will go down a little further when initially engaging first gear. With the shifter down all the way and holding it, put your bolt in and use the ratchet to tighten. I then used my bench grinder to remove some material from the plastic cover. Enlarge the notch already there. I removed up to the number "1" on the cover. This allowed enough room for upshifting. Then put your cover and case saver on. Make sure the bolts actually go through the mounting holes in the case saver. Put the lower chain roller back on, and all done. :cool: