PDA

View Full Version : Honda 300ex, question

rebelbuggy
08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
I am taking my 300ex apart cause it needs new piston and to be bored, I was cleaning it up and noticed that the walls where the timing chain go are kinda beat up. there ruff like the chain has hit it before, is this normal?

I am preatty sure the chain was tight when I took the engine apart so I don't understand how it could have hit, but this is a 1996 and who knows who had this thing and maybe a chain broke? with a old owner and was replaced?

What do you guys think

Also Do you guys know anything that takes off mud from the head and stuff, this thing was rode hard in the mud and put up not being clean. so I am trying to get it back clean I have used a few things but so far not much has came clean, is there any Magic cleaners out there that will work

Thanks

Tri-valleyracin
08-23-2006, 09:12 AM
try streel wool and water or a sos pad and maybe wd40

Mx_523
08-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
I am taking my 300ex apart cause it needs new piston and to be bored, I was cleaning it up and noticed that the walls where the timing chain go are kinda beat up. there ruff like the chain has hit it before, is this normal?

I am preatty sure the chain was tight when I took the engine apart so I don't understand how it could have hit, but this is a 1996 and who knows who had this thing and maybe a chain broke? with a old owner and was replaced?

What do you guys think

Also Do you guys know anything that takes off mud from the head and stuff, this thing was rode hard in the mud and put up not being clean. so I am trying to get it back clean I have used a few things but so far not much has came clean, is there any Magic cleaners out there that will work

Thanks

Your timing chain could be streched. If its tight and the timing chain tensioner dosen't max out before it tightens the chain you should be fine.
Steel whool and sand paper took the rust and mud off of my headpipe. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/zerologic/exaust1.jpg

bwamos
08-23-2006, 10:28 AM

Thanks

Nothing magic.. but I'd use some Simple green to get the majority off.. then some engine degreaser and an old toothbrush along with some elbow grease to get the hard stuff off.

rebelbuggy
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies, well I used simple green to wash the bike and well also a pressure washer, but it doesn't come off like i wanted, I have tried simple green, carb cleaner, and some laundry detergent and warm water. I think that last one done the best but its just really on there and I don't have a hard Bursh big enough to get into the fins like I want...

Thought about just getting some heat paint and painting it but then I'm not sure about that paint likes to flake off.

Xeller8
08-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Try some navel jelly or muriatic acid.

Just don't get it on anything that is painted.

rebelbuggy
08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Oh yeah, I am sure that would work, where do you buy that stuff at?

Xeller8
08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
I think you can get navel jelly at most hardware and/or hobby stores...not sure though as it has been a hundred years since I used the stuff...I use to use it on rusted beer cans for my collection when I was a kid...LOL!..

Muriatic acid...not sure...I'd try Home Depot or something along those lines....I DO know thats what truck washes use to clean the outside of fuel tanks for semis...people also use it for cleaning swimming pools before painting...etc...

rebelbuggy
08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Xeller8
I think you can get navel jelly at most hardware and/or hobby stores...not sure though as it has been a hundred years since I used the stuff...I use to use it on rusted beer cans for my collection when I was a kid...LOL!..

Muriatic acid...not sure...I'd try Home Depot or something along those lines....I DO know thats what truck washes use to clean the outside of fuel tanks for semis...people also use it for cleaning swimming pools before painting...etc...

Cool Thanks

bwamos
08-24-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't have a hard Bursh big enough to get into the fins like I want...

I use a toothbrush that is small enough to fit between the ribs. Cut down the bristles to 1/2 length so it's more rigid as well.

Thought about just getting some heat paint and painting it but then I'm not sure about that paint likes to flake off.

Don't want to do that.. it will insulate the motor.. and being air cooled that's a BAD thing. :)

Xeller8
08-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Cool Thanks

No prob bud....let us know what you end up using and how it works...I was thinking of brightening up MY head as well.

rebelbuggy
08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I use a toothbrush that is small enough to fit between the ribs. Cut down the bristles to 1/2 length so it's more rigid as well.

Don't want to do that.. it will insulate the motor.. and being air cooled that's a BAD thing. :)

Yeah I had a toothbrush I was using. its just there not that tuff . need like a wire brush or something. its alot cleaner now then it was to start with.