View Full Version : Lectron Carb on 416

Blake02416
08-23-2006, 08:20 AM
I am having a problem with my throttle slightly sticking. It appears that the problem is that the Lectron carb sticks up higher then the stock carb, and the cable is pinched between the the gas tank and the top of the carb were the throttle cable connects. I realize that I could just shim the tank up a little bit, but was wondering how you guys solved that problem. (If you have had that problem) Unfortunatley if I shim the tank up the plastics will not line up correctly, and then it looks like a thrown together piece of crap. To get away from the lectron carb I was considering trying to setup a stock 400ex carb, or purchase a 450r carb. The lectron carb was on it when I bought it so I am unsure what is the best option. Absolute peak power isnt important I want a choke (Lectron doesnt have one) and it to run clean consistantly, but still plenty of power?

02 416 EX
Stage 2 cam
Lectron 38 40 carb
+2 axle and A-arms
Open airbox K&N Filter
Sparks full exhaust

GPracer2500
08-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Lectron carbs seem to fly under the radar, so to speak. Nonetheless, all the evidence I've seen suggests they are excellent performing carbs.

One option for getting a carb to clear a gas tank is to put a "dimple" in the tank were you need more clearance. Basically, you identify exactly where you need the clearance, remove/drain the tank, heat the spot with a heat gun until it is malleable, then shape accordingly, heat some more, shape some more, etc....

GO SLOW with the heat gun. You can always add more heat but you can't reverse damage caused by too much. Keep a wet rag handy so you can wipe the heated spot to cool it.

Another option is to just sell the Lectron and get another carb. Assuming the Lectron is setup right, I'd be surprized if a 450R carb performed quite as well [shrug] but it might be close. A stock carb will almost certainly be a step backwards performance-wise.

Good luck.

rummerd
08-24-2006, 07:55 AM
I did a post on this a while back, best option is to make a short spacer to go from the intake manifold to the Carb. I do not remember the exact dimensions, but you get a section of tubing, it will be very close to the size of the bell on your carb. I think you need about 1.5" inches. Use a piece of Radiator hose to attach the tubing to your carb. When all is said and done, the carb sits just a bit further back and you can mount it almost straight up. No loss in performance with this mod, the Lectron is a great carb. I run it on my 426.