PDA

View Full Version : burgard ball joints

pit/wood
08-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Me again Pappy, awhile back I asked you about replacing my ball joints. You explained where to get them and I deleted the pm. Seems I need 2 joints:huh . I was going to ,how should I say, "recondition" these old joints. Then there is this thing I have about bein safe when it comes to front end parts.

Thanks again for gettin those parts out to me. I should see them tomorrow and be ridin in the evening sunset.

Pappy
08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I think they are the outer tie rod end from a vx beetle. In the FAQ section there is a few threads and I believe someone posted the numbers

MAD450r
08-22-2006, 06:04 PM
1971 wv bug outter tierod ends

I got mine from auto zone with warrenty
guarrenteed for life :)

Pappy
08-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I always forget the year:p

Dan runs Burgard and wants to know why you guys keep breaking the ball joints:p

xrxmxcx
08-24-2006, 09:34 PM
now thats a lookback:o :p

MAD450r
08-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Once they get sloppy I replace them. I do this because im legally blind and I dont always land perfect. So my balljoints take some unnessessary stress sometimes. Most people I tell that dont believe me.

I have been riding since I was very young. If im at a new place I like to follow a friend for a lap or 2 to learn the new trail/track.

Anyone else handycapped in anyway and riding ?

Pappy
08-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Cody is legally blind in his left eye.

MAD450r
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
My mom was mad at my dad when he got me my first atc90. She kept saying so many people get hurt on 3 wheelers. I loved it and still love riding today.

Im legally blind in both eyes myself. My good eye has 20/200 vision which is right at the legal blind rating.

pit/wood
08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks Mad450r, I need a couple for now.

Pappy
08-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I have 2 new ball joints here if needed

pit/wood
08-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks pappy,I need them badly now. I had a little trouble with this burgard front end,mainly with the name on the lower arm.

I am like most people(excepting those who are all-knowing and all- seeing). When I see a sticker that says "THIS SIDE IN FRONT", I put that side forward.

Thanks for gettin those parts to me last week Pappy. The atvriders stickers are goin on my ride,and the plan was ,no stickersI got her in runnin order saturday morning,still a bunch to upgrade and modify to finish the planned build. I should have it completed in another month.( it will never be completed all the way).

I realy liked the way the front end sucked up the bumps but it was squirrily as hell and I had to herd it in the direction I wanted to head and it always had other ideas. Like when I tried to do a slow cross-face on the sand hill with my *** hangin downhill, when i got down to side-slippin speed the front wheels dug in and the *** dropped and I bailed when I lost foward momentum and she started to roll. As I was runnin backwards down the sand hill(I was 25 foot up), I watch her hit hard and bend my steering stem,saw the hood come off and get crushed and then she landed on her feet

I had a get-together pig roast that day and the next morning we were waitin for Rick to pay for our breakfest at big-boys I was lookin at my front end and thinkin of the symptoms my front end had, it didnt want to track = increase the caster. So I look down at my ball joints from directly above and i see that my upper joint is leading my lower ball joint,that aint right, my shock is real close, but not touching, the rearward strut of my upper a-arm, but the brand-new burgard stickers on the lower arms look great.

I had been workin on her every day all day for the previous week and I did not really look at the geometry when I installed the front end. I was to caught up in how good it looked like any proud new owner of a front end of that caliber.

Let me know how much those 2 ball joints are and see if you can pick a couple burgard stickers for the lower arms now that the old stickers face to the rear,but thats what people saw of me as I was flyin over the heavy whoops up at silver lake yesterday.

Life is good again.

pit/wood
08-29-2006, 11:58 AM
heres a pic

MAD450r
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
pic didn't show up :(

pit/wood
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
heres a pic

MAD450r
08-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Looks nice, my burgards never came with stickers.
I hope to get stickers from lonestar, sinceim changing arms. Pappy just coated them for me you can see in another thread.

pit/wood
08-29-2006, 12:35 PM
My Baby

pit/wood
08-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I Did just a little work back here.

Pappy
08-29-2006, 03:36 PM
are you sure you have the uppers installed correctly?

let me know on the ball joints, they are sitting here

pit/wood
08-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Yea I got her dailed in now pappy,just had to swap the lower a-arms side to side and put the o-rings back in the lower joint on the elkas. The front end with the shocks had been installed that way and run like that,there was damage to the lower cap on the rebound adjustment coller on one side,where it had come in contact with the a-arm mounting tab because of the extreme angle the shock was at. The angle is in the wrong direction also. What burns me up is I had to grind off my frame where the shock hit the work I did on the shock mount,I was sure it would not hit when I did the work.

I learned front ends from an old guy that had done them for 45 years. I worked in his pit for awhile. few years later I went to a chrysler training school for them,then of course the is a few years late model/modified racin,pits and drivin. I should have known when I had to force the shocks over to get the bolt in,there should have been no binding and there was alot.

I have pics but we went to silver lake yesterday and I let Nate take my sd card to get some pics of it,and they are on it. I should have them up by tomorrow.

But yea I have not checked the price of the joint at autozone,figuire I can buy it from you,I read a thread where you said they are like 18 bucks. If so or a couple bucks more send them on. let me know the total and I will paypal it to you. And hey if you have any of those stickers that are a little bigger throw a couple in there, I like those.

Pappy,if you ever want to teach Cody something new just swap the lower a-arms side to side, the dang thing is like its on marbles all the time, I was pumpin the heck out of my arms to keep her trackin straight. I was thinkin that if this is what a wider front end is like then my stock arms are goin back on,thats when I knew something was wrong and started lookin at it,musta been the biscuits and gravy that got me to thinkin that.

pit/wood
09-01-2006, 08:03 AM
heres one

pit/wood
09-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Another

MAD450r
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Am I wrong here or does the bottom shock mount go forward on the standard travel burgards ?
If not then mine were installed wrong for over a year or more.

pit/wood
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Thats a shot before I swapped sides on the lowers.

MAD450r
09-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Glad you figured it out though :)

Nice quad btw

JW450R1
09-04-2006, 08:24 AM
is it true that u can drill out the upper a-arm to install the 14mm for the burgard.that's if u have 12mm