PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head bolt problems..

Punk'd
08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
When I go to tighten up the cylinder head bolts my motor locks up and my kicker locks as well, but when I loosen them everything is fine. I dont understand what could cause this.. It turns over just fine when they are not tightend

I just installed a wiseco 11.5:1 piston.. It moves up and down the cylinder just fine all up intill I tighten the head bolts.

EVERYTHINGS GOING DOWNHILL!

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1096/img05861jo3.jpg

400ex45
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
did you tighten the head bolts do you have the cam in?
or does it lock up when you have the cam off and just the head

Punk'd
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 400ex45
did you tighten the head bolts do you have the cam in?
or does it lock up when you have the cam off and just the head

Cam is off.. Assembly.. everything. Its just the valves and the bolts I circled in the picture.

D Bergstrom
08-22-2006, 05:09 PM
So you are trying to move the kicker after you tighten the head bolts? and you do not have the cam assembly on while doing this? Did you remove the spark plug or is it installed? If you have the cam assembly removed, and a spark plug installed, you will not be able to move the piston though the cylinder because of the compression. No cam, no compression release. When you loosen the head bolts, it allows the head gasket to loose it seal, so you can then kick it through. If the spark plug is not installed, then I do not know what the problem is.

Doug

Punk'd
08-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Well something is not right either way. It locks up at a certain point when you turn the wheels or push it.

What I mean is.. Say you push it foward, It will only go foward so much (usually you can push it all the way threw in gear with some muscle) but it just locks and stops. Now it will move if pushed back, but then at a certain point it also stops and locks up to where to cant even turn the motor over.

The New piston moves up and down the cylinder just fine, but when I put the top end on everything acts up. How am I suppost to position the piston after installed? TDC correct? Well that is where its at.

Maybe im missing something for the Piston installation.. Any ideas?

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 07:29 PM
As already mentioned, if the cam is not installed then you're fighting the full compression of the engine as the piston approches TDC.

Have you removed the spark plug like Bergstrom suggested?

Punk'd
08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
As already mentioned, if the cam is not installed then you're fighting the full compression of the engine as the piston approches TDC.

Have you removed the spark plug like Bergstrom suggested?

That will be done tomorrow, but will this matter even if I have everything installed? I just installed the whole cam assembly.

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
That will be done tomorrow, but will this matter even if I have everything installed? I just installed the whole cam assembly.

If the cam is installed and timed correctly then the auto-decomp will release some pressure making it easier to turn over. Removing the plug will make it so there is no pressure in the cylinder at all.

Just remove the plug and if it still won't turn over than you know that compression isn't the issue and you can start troubleshooting for other problems (although off the top of my head I can't think of what else it could be--surely it's just compression you're feeling....)

Typically you don't run into this situation because you set the piston at TDC and THEN install the head, cam, etc.

Punk'd
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
If the cam is installed and timed correctly then the auto-decomp will release some pressure making it easier to turn over. Removing the plug will make it so there is no pressure in the cylinder at all.

Just remove the plug and if it still won't turn over than you know that compression isn't the issue and you can start troubleshooting for other problems (although off the top of my head I can't think of what else it could be--surely it's just compression you're feeling....)

Typically you don't run into this situation because you set the piston at TDC and THEN install the head, cam, etc.

Hmm.. Sure was not the spark plug?? This is b/s I dont understand how barely tightening those bolts will make it do this.

D Bergstrom
08-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Hmm.. Sure was not the spark plug?? This is b/s I dont understand how barely tightening those bolts will make it do this.

So does this mean you removed the spark plug and it still does it? When the nuts are loose, the cylinder pressure escapes from the head gasket. When you tighten the nuts, the gasket seals and you are fighting compression as you try to move the kicker. Even when my quad is all together in my garage ready to run, and I try to move the kick start by hand, it still takes quite a bit of force to move it. When the nuts are loose, you can move the kicker and it does not bind at all, correct? Then you tighten the nuts and you can not move the kicker, I would think that all you are feeling is compression. Pulling the plug will tell you this.

Doug

Punk'd
08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
So does this mean you removed the spark plug and it still does it? When the nuts are loose, the cylinder pressure escapes from the head gasket. When you tighten the nuts, the gasket seals and you are fighting compression as you try to move the kicker. Even when my quad is all together in my garage ready to run, and I try to move the kick start by hand, it still takes quite a bit of force to move it. When the nuts are loose, you can move the kicker and it does not bind at all, correct? Then you tighten the nuts and you can not move the kicker, I would think that all you are feeling is compression. Pulling the plug will tell you this.

Doug

Sorry I ment that the plug IS out and its still doing this.

cals400ex
08-22-2006, 11:14 PM
don't kink your cam chain while turning the motor over without the cam in place.

Jersey450R
08-23-2006, 04:57 AM
you didnt drop something down inside the bottom end did you? not missing any nuts or bolts...? :p :(

400ex45
08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
are you turning it over by the kicker or by the crank?

i would take the cap off the right side engine were you time it and crank the motor by using an allen head that way you eliminate the whole kickstarter