PDA

View Full Version : need more power???

ride red
10-12-2001, 05:45 PM
I have a 2000 400EX with a Yoshi. slip on pipe and K&N air filter and jet. I recently got into drag racing and love it but my quad is fast but I get beat sometimes. I was looking at buying the LRD full system, would this give me any more power? Is there anything else I can do for not alot of money to give me more power. I seen edelbrock had a new carb out, has anyone tried one of these yet? Thanks for any info.

kabd69667
10-12-2001, 08:26 PM
No matter what kind of complete system you get, it will give you more power than your slip on. I've heard that the lrd's are good along w/ sparks and ct. A carb will help most when you start doing motor work.

stocktires
10-12-2001, 08:54 PM
how much money ya got?

Tommy 17
10-12-2001, 09:12 PM
If i were u i would keep ur slip on pipe for now and buy a 416 je piston 10.8:1 and i would put in a xr 400 cam for under 300$ that will give u a major boost in hp. u can't buy a header for yoshi or i would tell u to do that.

ride red
10-13-2001, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the helps so far. On money I want to spend I would like to keep it around 500 or so and with christmas not that far away start giving hints for that if you know what I mean:) Now with a 416 je piston 10.8:1 and with a xr 400 cam for under $300 sounds good, Iif I would get awhole LRD system plus this would I notice a considerable differnece?

stocktires
10-13-2001, 05:54 PM
I wouldnt reccomend buying a complete exhaust yet! After the piston & cam get a high rev cdi (a.k.a. rev-box) so you can rev to the full potential of the 400, and i would reccomend a 430 piston (428) instead of a 416! it'll cost excatly the same amount of money! so:

#1. WISECO 11:1 88mm piston $120
#2. XR Cam $200
#3. WB High rev CDI $110
#4. 14 tooth front sproket $25

These mods WILL make your 400ex have much more top end, I would strongly suggest a high compression to push the 14 sproket! You will lose some bottom end, but not a whole lot! The cam will rev higher and adds top end, and the CDI lets the motor rev, im unsure if its really needed as bad with the 14 tooth sproket! So anyone with a 14 tooth sproket and motor mods have a problem with the rev-limiter?

stocktires
10-13-2001, 06:07 PM
And by the way the 400ex header is AWESOME and would be very small performance gain! I wouldnt spend the extra money on a full exhaust intill you got all those mods I listed! Then the complete exhaust will perform to its potential! So hold off on the full exhaust until you do some motor work. So maybe get a full LRD for Christmas! And you can tune it to where your riding (but it'll cost ya $). After that i'd say an eldebrock ($400) or have Curtis Sparks MOD your stock carb for only $150 which would be alot more bang for the buck! Have you done all the basic mods? Like drill out or remove the airbox lid and rejet? Do you ride 100% drag or do other types or riding? If so what kind?

10-13-2001, 06:11 PM
i have a better setup...marcums 416 kit...155....xr250 cdi box....60....xr400 cam....120......fmf powerbomb head pipe ....200...the 14 tooth sproket will be too low so id stick with the 15...throw in some port and polish...50-300 mattering on what kind you want and you'll have a killer set-up

stocktires
10-13-2001, 06:20 PM
What size stock front sproket does the 400 have? Isnt it a 13? Well anyway go up 1 size, 2 if you only race drag! But port and polish is a good idea, but i never heard of port and polish being lower than $300! I've heard cleaning for like $50 but that doesnt do hardly much compared to a port and polish. I never heard of a xr250 cdi box on a 400, but if it works i'd get it cuz it's only $60! Why does everyone get a 416? A 428ex is the same price and fatser! I would reccomend a header after you bore and put in a cam! But a header does almost nothing on a stock motor!

10-13-2001, 06:25 PM
stock 400 fornt sprocket is a 15...play porting is the term used of 50..the xr box is the same exact box as the WB...and i think anything over 416 is unreliable...the 426 or 428 is still boring over i belive...that is way to much over bore to dissapate heat properly..plus the sleeve will crack easier like on my .80 250r cylinder..thank god that piece never broke off or my motor would be junk

ride red
10-13-2001, 08:32 PM
1986trx250r I have done some of the basic mods. I've drilled holes in my aribox lid and put a K&N airfilter and jet kit also on it with the yoshi. slip on. Also I just drag race about every month around were we live, the fire company has one for all the locals, I do alot of woods riding on trails and stuff with my friends also. Would adding these mods you told me about cause any promblems just puttin around sometimes?

stocktires
10-13-2001, 08:35 PM
Well i'd advise you to go you only one size on the front sproket or one size lower on the rear sproket. What kinda of power do you want? Alot of top while still having good bottom, or do you want all around power?

ride red
10-13-2001, 08:51 PM
On power I don't want to lose alot of bottom end so I can get out of the hole quick but I would like to gain some more through the mid and top if possible. My 400EX right now runs pretty good for all it has done too it.

10-15-2001, 07:35 AM
Keep the pipe setup you have and get some motor work done...you'll see more power with a motor mod than a new exhaust setup,,,once you get the motor work done,,,then consider a new pipe setup...but keep what ya got and do the piston, cam, CDI box...

ride red
10-15-2001, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure on the cam and stuff. Should I go with a weisco piston and xr400 cam with white brothers CDI box or is there a better set up? This is the only one I know of.

10-15-2001, 08:09 PM
wow..sure am glad you read my posts..not...don't get weisco..buy a je piston

stocktires
10-16-2001, 01:27 PM
JE pistona are better but they cost alot too! I've had no problems ever with any of my wiseco's so i dont believe there made cheap! But I would reccomend a 416 cuz 4-stroke gain alot more power from a big-bore than 2-strokes! But i'd say YES on the wb rev-box & xr cam!

10-16-2001, 01:51 PM
yep...go blow away money on a rip off wb product when you can buy it from honda cheaper

10-16-2001, 05:59 PM
The 14t sprocket takes away top end but gives you some bottom end. If you want more top end go with a 16t sprocket on the front.

stocktires
10-16-2001, 06:40 PM
i'd reccomend going down a size on the rear sproket if he still hes god bottom end for trails!

emiliano22
10-16-2001, 08:06 PM
About the cam, some people say that GT thunder cam is better, especially for drag race.

offroader66
10-17-2001, 02:38 PM
I have ridden with guys that have the 416,xr400 cam,fcr carb and minor cleanup porting.It ran awesome.My honda dealer tells me I can get similar results 16/36 sprockets and 18in rear tires.(quad has been jetted,piped)What do you guys think?-I think not.

ride red
10-19-2001, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to go see my local dealer tomorrow get some prices on this stuff. The only thing I'm not sure is what size bore to go with. I've heard go with 416 because it runs faster than a 440 and revs quicker, is this true? Then someone told me a 426 which I didn't even know they made. Which would be the best to go and again I ride on alot of trails and do drag race every month.

ride red
10-22-2001, 06:01 PM
I went to my shop this local weekend and got a price on a 416 kit with new piston, cam and a CDI Box. I got a price of $365 for everything, is this a good price or not? Also I think I'm going to buy a full system too, which one of these would be the best to buy?

Nausty
10-22-2001, 09:36 PM
I don't get the point in the hi rev cdi? So if i'm correct it allows you to rev the motor way higher than stock? Ok now if it does than whats the point because the xr400 wasn't meant to be a revver so it makes less boost and torque at full throttle than 3/4 throttle. Plus when you don't have a limit on your cdi you can have problems with floating valves and cause damage to your motor right?

Stunz
10-23-2001, 08:41 AM
If you drag race with a 14-tooth sprocket, you will be starting out in 2nd gear. 1st will be way to low.

I've tried draging with a 14-T and found that it was only good for short runs. I could hang with a Banshee and Raptor up to 4th, I'd be about one quad length behind. At 5th gear they would leave my in the dust. I was looking for a 6th gear.

Buy 14-T and try it, it might work for you.

250rmike
10-23-2001, 11:19 AM
what do you drag in. cause if you are draging in loose stuff the stock tires wont give you much grip and you will just spin when you start off. this could cause you to fall back pretty good. and the only thing that should cause you to loose performance in the woods would be the sprocket. this is because if you gear for top spead than if the trails are anything but long and straight then you wont be able to go as fast. also how long is the drag cause using a sprocket for a better start could help you alot if it is a shorter drag. hope we all help ya win em all.

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ride red
I have a 2000 400EX with a Yoshi. slip on pipe and K&N air filter and jet. I recently got into drag racing and love it but my quad is fast but I get beat sometimes. I was looking at buying the LRD full system, would this give me any more power? Is there anything else I can do for not alot of money to give me more power. I seen edelbrock had a new carb out, has anyone tried one of these yet? Thanks for any info.

Yes! Finally another member that likes to drag! If you want to do somthing to yours. I reccomend an exhaust kit first. If you get anything I would only get the best, CURTIS SPARKS. Another thing you can do that wont cost that much is get your carb smoothebored. Also, what kindof track do you run on? Dirt, sand, street? We run dirt here.

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 02:51 PM
If you run on dirt, heres some tips. The best tires I have found to run & this is what everyone down here runs. They're called Pro Wedge tires. If you get any, get Pro Wedge 2 because the grips are thicker, harder, & last longer & hook harder than just the regular wedge. What length track do you run on? If its no longer than 300 ft, I would drop down on your front tooth sprocket & dont get out of 4th gear unless your rev-limiter kicks in. Also heres another tip. Get you some little square tubing struts made for your front end, it will make your front end not rare up as bad. If you dont want to have these made, strap it down with tie straps. Another thing, if you do happen to get the pro wedge 2 tires & you still spin a little bit with them on, turn them around backwards, it will hook realy hard & you wont spin a bit. Heres another thing though, if you do happen to race the stock class, i seriously doubt it if the bikes are really stock in there besides you, cause this is what happened to me. Then I smoothebored my carb & actually started winning, keep it quiet what you have on your bike though! If not, you will get torn down & they will find out that you were illegal like I was! Let us hear how you do in future races.

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ride red
I'm not sure on the cam and stuff. Should I go with a weisco piston and xr400 cam with white brothers CDI box or is there a better set up? This is the only one I know of.

One last thing, If you get into racing, a CDI box is a must!

ride red
10-27-2001, 05:29 PM
We drag race in dirt up here also, and the track is around 300 ft. long too. Does Curtis Spark have a website so I can look at that pipe, I've heard alot of good stuff about it but I don't think I have seen a picture of it or anything yet and I'll make sure I let ya know how I do in future races also and hopefully I can say I won a few. About the pro wedge tires, I don't think I've heard of them were can I look at these?

250rmike
10-27-2001, 06:45 PM
the website is sparksracing.com just tell me if thatr doesnt work maybe i put it up here wrong but i am sure that is it

wyndzer
10-27-2001, 06:49 PM
I drag race. The best mod for drag racing would be a new carb. FCR preferably.

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 07:18 PM
Ummm, well since my Honda dealer is the only place that sales them down here. I would go to your Honda dealer & ask about them, they are made my Ohtsu. Here is a pic of a bike with them on it.

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 07:21 PM
This is an alright pic, I have more if you need them. I recommend them more than any other tire for dirt drag racing.

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 07:23 PM
Another pic.......

stevengates45
10-27-2001, 07:31 PM
Here is a pic of the pipe, but you can get it in a silver type color I am pretty sure of
http://sparksracing.com/Sparks_Center/400X/400X_Exh_102.jpg

http://sparksracing.com/Sparks_Center/400X/400X_Exh_101.jpg

Tommy 17
10-27-2001, 08:57 PM
thats a sweet pipe i wonder how much it cost haha.

stocktires
10-27-2001, 08:59 PM
the sparks exhaust IS silver, its just the light that makes it look gold in that pic. :)

ride red
11-03-2001, 03:32 PM
Hey thanks for all the help!!! I went today and ordered a new wr 400 cam, White borthers CDI box and JE piston for my 400EX.
I want to buy a full exhaust system for it but I'm not sure what to replace the Yoshi. slip on with. I was lookin at LRD or the guy that is doing my work told me to go with Graydon Proline which I don't think I have heard to many people on here talk about Also I was lookin at the CT Racing pipe. If anyone could give me some info on any of these or have one and how they like them. I would really appreciate it.

ride red
11-05-2001, 06:52 PM
Can anyone help me out with the pipes that I listed. I need to order one by tomorrow afternoon.