PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket intakes... Pros and Cons

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 10:50 AM
We have been thinking of doing an aftermarket intake and have been seriously considering the Ron Wood (http://www.rotax.net/newproducts.htm)
but wanted some feedback(not opinions ,true facts) on Stock vs. aftermarket intakes.
I remember there was a a big debate at one time on the Predators

We do NOT run in alot of mud or wet Conditions,and can run 2 outwears if need be. As we have stated several times before, we prefer the K&N and would still like to convert from Foam filter as well.WE feel the foam filter ATTRACTS more than the K&N does,the K&N REPELLS while the dirt keeps building up on the foam. Again ,thats just our preference and have had great luck with K&N.

If there is a better choice for intake, what is it and what facts did you find to make you decide to use the intake ?

Crapo, you can chime in anytime on this topic:D

eganracing
08-22-2006, 11:05 AM
it sounds like it would work just fine for your setup but the only thing i would be worried about is how it mounts up. is it supost to increase power? and what is your reasoning for wanting it?

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by eganracing
it sounds like it would work just fine for your setup but the only thing i would be worried about is how it mounts up. is it supost to increase power? and what is your reasoning for wanting it?

The reason for wanting it is we are hoping to get a little more air to it thus, for increasing power plus the foam filter is a bloody nightmare to keep clean EVERY ride :scary:

The intake is custom fit,they all seem to bolt in to the left upper part of the frame or subframe,some just seem to hang lower and use dif. air filters.

eganracing
08-22-2006, 11:24 AM
i hear u on the foam filters. i hate those things! did u ever get a k&n replacement? o and do u know how much they cost?

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 11:31 AM
We didnt get one yet, but we are now . We wanted to hold off until we knew more about the intakes that was avail. I know there is a few options avail.
I think the Ron Woods is around 100.00 with the filter, but dont quote me on that , I wouldhave to dbl. check on that 1st.

eganracing
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
hell if its under a $100 id get it and try it out.

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Here is a pic of it..
http://www.rotax.net/Photos/freeflow.jpg

Troy thought it was around 100.00 I tohught it was closerto around 170.00. I think Im gonna call Ron today to find out more. All I see on the site is for up to the 05 model,not the 06.

red2004 TRX450R
08-22-2006, 12:45 PM
this is just a guess but i don't think it would increase flow over a K&N running no lid.
But i do thing it will increase incoming air velocity, witch would let you run a small main jet because the air signal would be stronger thus sucking in more fuel. and the increased velocity should be good for power, but by how much or any, would only be a guess on my part.

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
this is just a guess but i don't think it would increase flow over a K&N running no lid.
But i do thing it will increase incoming air velocity, witch would let you run a small main jet because the air signal would be stronger thus sucking in more fuel. and the increased velocity should be good for power, but by how much or any, would only be a guess on my part.

Makes sense...
now to find out just HOW MUCH dif. it makes

Anyone know?

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 01:45 PM
WEll... got my answer today...

They havent had time to make one for the 06 model yet,but claim this on a YFZ will have a 4 HP gain,I thought that seemed a little high, but who am I to say.:o :p lol

Back to the drawing board.:ermm:

eganracing
08-22-2006, 01:52 PM
4 hp! i doubt it. but i think if u just get a replacement k&n filter u will be happy.

MR.BIG
08-22-2006, 02:12 PM
4HP for around $100 yeah right!:rolleyes: I'll take one!

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Who knows what that 4hp at claim means. That could be at 5500rpm vs. a stock filter w/ the airbox lid on.

QuadJunkies
08-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Who knows what that 4hp at claim means. That could be at 5500rpm vs. a stock filter w/ the airbox lid on.

you have a good point..

tltcracing
08-22-2006, 02:41 PM
that was exactly what i was thinking.