PDA

View Full Version : Proven, reliable, long lasting, and durable?

DieselBoy
08-21-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm playing with the idea of buying a YFZ instead of a raptor. What's your opinion. My application is trails & track (both light riding). I want something reliable that I can ride without doing alot of (hopefully none) internal engine work. I maintain my machines religiously. This includes frequent oil changes, filter changes, filter cleaning, geasing, lubing, etc. etc.

How difficult is it to adjust the valves on a YFZ? I hear it's time consuming.

Is there anyone on here with over 200 hours on their motor with no overhaul? Would it be realistic to expect this from a YFZ engine riden lightly?

Thanks in Advance!
Mike,

beastlyone
08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
i dont have anywhere near 200 hours on my yfz but as far as people i know that ride theirs HARD, as long as u keep up with oil changes to where on quote " its soo clean every time you change your oil, someone else would steal it to put in their bike" then im sure it would, just cleaning the carb and spark changes and sounds like you keep up on your maintenance and if your trying to ride it lightly, im sure you'd be alright. Trust me though, it aint easy takin it lightly on these things :D

DieselBoy
08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
thanks. i noticed their very tall-geared, like a dirtbike. would this pose a problem in the trails?

beastlyone
08-21-2006, 08:00 PM
----thanks. i noticed their very tall-geared, like a dirtbike. would this pose a problem in the trails?-----

I wouldnt say so, mine has so much low end torque i mean i dont see it getting caught in any mud or many trees to get over gettin in your way. Or like the guy above me said change the front sprocket.

GPracer2500
08-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Quad_King
Just drop the gearing to a 12T or 13T in the front...

I had my YFZ for about 3 weeks and I need a rebuild and I did change my oil every 4-5 hours of riding... and I didnt get out of 3rd:ermm: I would get a 450R JMO

Was it new? What failed?

08-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Was it new? What failed?
It was practically new... the shop said it only has 15 hours on it and only trail ridin...:ermm:
Then I believed them and took it home after paying 4500 bucks on it (cash) and I rode it maybe 30 minutes when I got home and parked it... then about 2 weeks later I took it to my camp and rode it for about 2 hours and it started to idle real high and the oil light came on and it just died and will not start back up...
I am going to bring it to a shop tomorrow.

pnut420
08-21-2006, 10:39 PM
It was practically new... the shop said it only has 15 hours on it and only trail ridin...:ermm:
Then I believed them and took it home after paying 4500 bucks on it (cash) and I rode it maybe 30 minutes when I got home and parked it... then about 2 weeks later I took it to my camp and rode it for about 2 hours and it started to idle real high and the oil light came on and it just died and will not start back up...

A 450r engine isnt going to last much longer on top ends if any. As far as the light coming on, that is a water temperature ligth not oil. It could be something like your water pump went out or something. Also how could the shop know that it had 15 hours on it, did the owner of the shop own it?

DieselBoy
08-21-2006, 10:45 PM
sounds fishy. that's the situation i'm worried about being set in when buying one o these. I'm still going to keep it a 50/50 for the raptor/yfz.

it'll take alot more outta my cash flow to get the yfz, so...

firefighterjosh
08-21-2006, 10:48 PM
If you are not planning on racing or anything like that I would go with teh Raptor 700. There EFI, Good Power, Quick, I guess they are great trails machines. I guess there not as fast as a YFZ but there close.

WhiteYFZ
08-21-2006, 10:49 PM
go for the yfz.. there great bikes.

08-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
did the owner of the shop own it?
Yes the owner of the shop owned it...

13th Grave
08-22-2006, 12:32 AM
I bet people are going to say your stupid for not knowing where the water pumps at, sound familiar *** hole.:D

DieselBoy
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
already priced a 700R. out of my price bracket. I have to spend not too much. its going to be an 04 yfz most likely, or an 02-04 raptor. my truck & other expenses just doesnt allow for this kind of freedom to pick and choose.

i also need to allow for cost of parts, and maintenance.

08-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by 13th Grave
I bet people are going to say your stupid for not knowing where the water pumps at, sound familiar *** hole.:D
HAHA yes I know where the water pump is at I just wasnt thinking:o
Yes that's it... I was not thinking:D

HAHA I know what you are talking about LMAO:blah:
Here: (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249634)

DieselBoy
08-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Quad_King- what exactly is preventing your machine from running? if it just died it could be something simple.

firefighterjosh
08-22-2006, 12:40 AM
I thought you were buying brand new. Don't get a old raptor. Get the YFZ instead

08-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Quad_King- what exactly is preventing your machine from running? if it just died it could be something simple. Umm... not sure, I am going to guess and say it's the water pump. Maybe one of my wire/tubes came undone:ermm:
I will let you know tomorrow when I bring it to the shop:scary:
Never thought I would bring it to the shop this quick:o

08-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I thought you were buying brand new. Don't get a old raptor. Get the YFZ instead
I agree with him...
The old raptors are $hit and the new raptors are the $hit:p

But anything is good as lone as it rolls:o

DieselBoy
08-22-2006, 12:47 AM
nope, no new toys for me right now. i like the raptor cause of the big displacement. The engines usually not "worked" very hard. And they seem to be quite tough from what I can tell.

FoxRacing81
08-22-2006, 08:31 AM
nope, no new toys for me right now. i like the raptor cause of the big displacement. The engines usually not "worked" very hard. And they seem to be quite tough from what I can tell.

Whatever you end up deciding on, I encourage you not to chose an old style Raptor...

They just won't last. My friend had an 02. You can lug them around, and they got plenty of power, but here are the downfalls...

The starter bearing will go out. It's not if or how, but when. It will eventually, and it isn't a cheap nor easy fix. It went out on my buddies. Soemtimes he could stand on the quad and hit the starter and shake it back and forth and the gear would catch, but most of the time we would end up bump starting it.

The frames seem pretty weak. My buddy cracked his just from some I guess you would say aggressive trail riding. Not XC Racing, just going around a little faster then just normal riding.

The dual carb setup. They are a pain in the ***. The intake boot never likes to stay on...One of the rubber gaskets got sucked into the carb on my buddies and stuck his throttle wide open. Not safe...

Battery cables and connections seemed to break fairly easily.

The suspension is nothing to brag about. The rear shock isn't too bad, but the fronts are not great at all.

They do have power, just not nearly what they should for a motor with 660ccs. My buddy had to have his rebuilt fairly soon after purchasing it, and he was not even racing or anything. It was mainly just him and I having fun messing around in the woods for the most part.

I would highly encourage a YFZ. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago, and I love it. Best quad I have ever owned. The power is amazing, the suspension is awesome (and I am a bigger guy who likes to jump, and I love it). My biggest downfall being that I race MX is the stock tires. The rears just want to hook up and not slide whenever I want them to! But for woods, they would work more then good for an average trail rider. And if you are taller, some higher bend bars are almost a nesessity. But I love the way they feel. They feel some what small, but not in a bad way. The best part is being in the air. I can just throw this thing around as easily as I want.

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 02:06 AM
My friends 01 Raptor's intake boot kept popping off, So we decided to just put a heavy duty clamp on it. Well while we were at the badlands it blew a hole in it. We didn't notice it until we got home and washed them. There was alot of dirt inside. We cleaned it up and stuff. It still ran great. After about another 20 Hours of riding.....Caboom!!!! Bye bye raptor engine.

jbplayfz450
08-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I have an 04 YFZ with well over 200 hours on it. I raced 2 seasons of midsouth harescrambles and a ton of hard riding with friends. mine is holding up just fine with no internal problems.

infantry317
08-23-2006, 05:55 PM
I believe Yamaha recommends a top end rebuild every 50 hours. It's a high performance quad, you gotta maintain it and rebuild it.
They are reliable.

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by infantry317
I believe Yamaha recommends a top end rebuild every 50 hours. It's a high performance quad, you gotta maintain it and rebuild it.
They are reliable.

They recomend every 50hours but you can get alot more out of them. They just say that because if it blows up in 60 hours they can put it back on you for not rebuling it.......hope that makes sence

infantry317
08-23-2006, 07:24 PM
True enough...I'm just saying take care of your hi-perfomance toys :D

Ride1Rob
08-23-2006, 07:36 PM

The shop will tell you whatever to get you to buy it. Their main objective... TO PUT MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS AND SALE THOSE BIKES! There's no telling how many hours were on that motor :ermm: . I have an 04 and had almost 400hrs of hard riding on mine. The cam chain damper broke and I'm finally going to go ahead and do a rebuild. I'm pretty luck waiting that long but now I'll tear her down and check everything every 100 hrs of riding.

08-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
The shop will tell you whatever to get you to buy it. Their main objective... TO PUT MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS AND SALE THOSE BIKES! There's no telling how many hours were on that motor :ermm: . I have an 04 and had almost 400hrs of hard riding on mine. The cam chain damper broke and I'm finally going to go ahead and do a rebuild. I'm pretty luck waiting that long but now I'll tear her down and check everything every 100 hrs of riding.
This morning I took my YFZ back to the shop and they will fix it... I just got to pay for the parts.

BTW that shop did work for Kieth Little and I seen photos of him and his quad... I'm going to try and talk him out of one of those autograph photos of him:macho

DieselBoy
08-23-2006, 08:45 PM
400 hours of hard riding!! DAMN! Nice!

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Get a 4x4 they can tke Thousands of hard miles and hours:D

DieselBoy
08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I got a wolverine and it's excellent. But, I'm getting another sport quad so I'll have two. :D

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I got a wolverine and it's excellent. But, I'm getting another sport quad so I'll have two. :D

IC IC I am selling my banshee to get a 4x4 lol. I will have my sport machine and my 4x4 sport machine lol