PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Cat 500 for target practice

NorCalRacer
08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
OK, my buddy had a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 4x4. This thing is one of the biggest pieces of **** I have ever seen. After about 2000 miles, the gear indicator lights caught on fire. After that, the stator failed. I replaced that stator, ignition switch and starter relay for him and disconnected the shift indicator lights. It ran for less than 5 miles and started cutting out. When it cuts out, if I tap the starter just for a second it will run great for another ten seconds and then cut out. I could run it twenty miles if I kept tapping the starter:rolleyes: but it won't go twenty feet right now. Starts up great, then cuts out. I even tried hotwiring the CDI with the exact same results.
Anyone got any ideas before we start plugging 12 ga slugs into this thing? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

02440exkid
08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
i would try calling a Arctic Cat dealer.jmo

NorCalRacer
08-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 02440exkid
i would try calling a Arctic Cat dealer.jmo

Nah, not around here. I wouldn't trust them to change a spark plug. They couldn't even tell a stator was defective when the resistance was ten times normal values.

02440exkid
08-21-2006, 08:26 PM
lol dam rednecks:blah:

firefighterjosh
08-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Who you calling redneck punk?:grr:

Ya I went to the dunes and one of my friends buddie had one and it kept breaking down on him.

2muchquad
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I would check the spark plug cap,yeah i know it sounds elementary but a defective cap will keep it from running right,i seen this same problem on a dr350 trail bike a few years back.good luck.

NorCalRacer
08-22-2006, 10:56 AM
New plug, freshly gapped. Good wire. It is a relay somewhere or maybe the CDI. The only way I can figure CDI is it is good when it starts but not when it runs, because it starts great for about twenty seconds, every time. It also will run great if I give juice to the starter while it's going (not engaging the starter, just clicking it), but after a few seconds it cuts out again. It is something directly connected to the starter, I just wish I could put a coil on this POS and throw all this worthless CDI garbage away. This bike has two more days before I am kicking it to the curb. If anyone knows how to convert to a coil I would love to hear it:D

400eXr1d3rZ
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
lol i cant wait for my friends to start breaking down

he always cracks on Hondas because ive had a few and i always break them and he got 2 05 arctic cat 250s and they havent broke yet :mad:
break it a little bit yourself, speed up the process. :devil:

hawksd1
08-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I would have to ask if the shift lights are in the speedo panel...if so every thing hubs off of that speedo display, Polaris are the same way and the only way to fix that electrical is to replace that speedo assembly, rather than stator, coil, ecu...etc. hopefully that nails it a friend here had similar problem after replacing all of the major electrical components found out it was all in the speedo assembly. Replaced that works like a charm now!

NorCalRacer
08-22-2006, 09:58 PM
You might be on to something. I have a few new ideas to try in the morning.:D

HondaEXrider22
08-23-2006, 07:13 AM
Dont blow it up, part it out for a little extra money. Either that, or sell it as a whole for cheap. Either way, your still getting a little cash rather than completely destoyin it.

Mx_523
08-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
You might be on to something. I have a few new ideas to try in the morning.:D

Blow it up! Blow it up!

NorCalRacer
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Mx_523
Blow it up! Blow it up!

Yeah, I don't think either of us want's to deal with parting it out, too much hassle for the $$$. I really think hawksd1 might be onto something though. The quad and manual are at my nuddies house right now, when I get there I have a whole fresh set of ideas now.

Still wish I could just put a normal old coil on.....:blah:

TRX_450
08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey guys my brother has had several Arctic Cats and had great results after a lot of hard miles. So they are not bad quads but you do seem to have a big problem. He recomends this site http://www.arcticchat.com

He claims there is a lot of great help there just approach it nicely as those guys are all AC fans.

mstrfreestyle69
08-24-2006, 01:51 AM
i may know what your porblem is. the same thing happend to ours, it is the same year and everything. first the shift lights went out and then it quit running we would charge the battery and it would run for 20 min and die. it turned out that it was the voltage regulator. it was putting out too much juice and fried all of the lights and the battery. all of that extra juice goes to the cdi and it was screwing up the timing. we put on a new one and it has worked fine.
not sure if this helps any but it is a try

NorCalRacer
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks, I will test that out. I appreciate the help guys.

Mx_523
08-24-2006, 10:51 AM
It dosen't have a fuse?

Aceman
08-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Mx_523
It dosen't have a fuse?

The voltage being too high doesn't affect fuses. Pulling to big of a load or a short causes blown fuses.