PDA

View Full Version : Classic Truck Forums

Rico400
08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Well me and my dad have a 68 Chevy Truck that im thinking about getting it in better shape. Its in decent shape but i wanna make it something that we could take to a car show if we wanted to. So do you guys know of any websites/forums i can go to and read up on stuff. Ive looked on yearone and they got alot of parts i will probably be ordering. But i would like to talk to other people about fixing up this truck.

I have no clue too where i even need to start.

Rico400
08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
thought i would post a picture for u guys, let me know what u think

Rico400
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
What color you guys think i should paint it?

08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Heres a site I found small but maybe they can help. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/

440exnacsracer
08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
looks like a good body, not personnaly a big fan of longbeds or fleetsides, but it would definately be a fun project. my dad and i are working on a 46 chevy now, and i am soon to start a 30 ford roadster. there are two basic routes you could take, one being the frame-off resto, which would take alot of time and money, but you can get rid of all the rust and clean/ paint the frame. i would sand it down, primer it, and get it painted, then work on a big 454 or something. just check out as many pictures of others that you can to find out things that you like and dont like, put it down on paper, then get to work

Rico400
08-21-2006, 05:06 PM
ya im not a fan of longbeds either, but itll be a fun project i think.... i pretty much no nothing of things to do with fixing up old trucks so itll deffinatly be a project for me.

ive been looking for what others look like, but i dont know if its popular truck to restore or not, but i cant find any pics really. ive found acouple but i would like to see alot more. i guess ill keep looking

Jonesy
08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
I have a 69 lwb very similar to yours and just sold a 68 k20. I am going for the rat rod kinda look for mine. Like someone else posted the 67-72chevytrucks.com is a very informative site and there is lots to be learned from there.

As far as paint, I've always been a fan of two tone paint. Those trucks look good with a mild drop and either classic looking wheels or some bigger billet. I have tons of pics of that body style on my pc if you want some for ideas.

Jonesy

Rico400
08-21-2006, 05:42 PM
ya that would be great if you could send me some pictures. ricoracing06@yahoo.com is my email if u want to send them that way..... and im pretty sure i will go with a 2-tone color. i like the red and while, but more of like a Torch Red and white, but im not sure yet if that will look good or not.

440exnacsracer
08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
yea, it can be fun to venture beyond what is popular, there are less resources and parts so and good build will be more appreciated by you and others alike. nearly anyone with some experiece can build another camaro, mustang, etc., if they have enough money. you can literally build those cars from the ground up with aftermarket body panels, etc. get all your tools together, i would suggest a sandblaster if you dont have one already, along with a welder, if you need to replace floor pans etc. good luck and keep us updated. ill see if i can get some pics of the model a im going to start. i have the 302 block now...going to a 331 with AFR heads, and alot of other goodies. probably a 5 year project, but o well.

00tn300ex
08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
here in TN those trucks are really popular.I had a 68 short bed but traded it off to get my quad built.The most common places for rust on those year models are the cab corners,rockers,cab supports and the roof right above the sunvisors.ive built a few,its one off the easier ones since the bedsides bolt on instead of weld.Check goodmark industies for parts,year one is expensive.

00tn300ex
08-21-2006, 09:13 PM
is that the 68 or 69 front end?

Rico400
08-21-2006, 09:53 PM
its a 68. and ya this truck will be a LONG project as well. I will be driving it until i can get a jeep, then i will start putting money into it aswell. i just figured i would start to get some idea's of what imma do, and what i like and dont like.

so far ive plan on getting rid of the bench seat and throwing in 2 seats with a centerconsole. Strip the entire truck down and get all the dents and starts out and paint it. Maybe buy a crate motor to throw in it. Right now its got a 327 in it.

anyone had any experiances with the wood planks in the bed? ive seen acouple that look really good, but im not sure if it would look right in a normal longbed or not. Ive also seen acouple that have rhinolined beds that match the exterior paint almost exact which i think would be awesome also.

but ya these are just dream plans right now lol. i think everyone has had those when they were a young lad in highschool with a truck/car there parents gave them :cool:

btw thxx for all the input guys i think when this actualy gets done it will be really cool.

bigbadbrad
08-21-2006, 11:00 PM
I guy i work with's mud truck, 74 chevy with 44' and a 427 in it, he has an eaton in the rear out of a box truck and a danna 70 or 80 in the front( i cant rember which one, I am pretty sure it is 70) he back halfed the fram with duece and a half frame rails. IT also has functional stacks on it. for size comparison there is a manual tranny on the floor next to it out of another older chevy truck

Rico400
08-22-2006, 01:25 AM
wow them is both really nice trucks. But since its 2 wheel drive im thinking about going the other direction in ride height :D . With a black satin paint job and some 20" rims and some big fat tires..... man i cant stop thinking of ideas of stuff i want to do with this truck. Hoppefully one day it will be a nice hot rodder

Jonesy
08-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Rico400
wow them is both really nice trucks. But since its 2 wheel drive im thinking about going the other direction in ride height :D . With a black satin paint job and some 20" rims and some big fat tires..... man i cant stop thinking of ideas of stuff i want to do with this truck. Hoppefully one day it will be a nice hot rodder

Here are few ideas to get you started.

- front drop spindles for 2.5" of drop are only $229 a pair. Coils are relatively cheap also and can get you down around 4" in the front and 5-6" in the rear for a low static drop.
- If you want a more adjustable height, air bag setups on these trucks are popular. The coil spring setup front and rear makes the swap less costly, and easier to do. I've been thinking of going this way with mine.
- If I was you I'd keep the 327 and just rebuild it. 327's are some of the quickest reving chevy engines i've been around and they are getting harder to come by also.
- does your bed already have a wooden floor? If so you can replace it and it would look good. But to do it right is rather expensive, hard to maintain, and your scared to haul anything with it. I'd go the rhino lined route if it was me.
- Like someone else mentioned the cab corners, rockers (inner and outer), cab supports, and floor pans are all known to be the problematic rust areas. Luckly there is at least 20 different companies that make/sell patch panels for these trucks. I bought all the panels I just listed for $140 plus shipping.
- A popular swap is to convert the truck to a newer 5 lug pattern. This used to give you a larger selection of wheels. But in todays market you don't have that worry as much.

some websites for you to look at

sokyclassics.com
LMCtruck.com
goodmarkindustries.com
classicindustries.com
woodystrucks.cjb.net
impalas.com
yearone.com
golden-state-parts.com
chevyduty.com
ccgtruck.com
truckersparts.com
classicperform.com
oldchevytrucks.com
harmons.com
americanclassic.com
brotherstrucks.com

Jonesy

Rico400
08-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Jonesy
Here are few ideas to get you started.

- front drop spindles for 2.5" of drop are only $229 a pair. Coils are relatively cheap also and can get you down around 4" in the front and 5-6" in the rear for a low static drop.
- If you want a more adjustable height, air bag setups on these trucks are popular. The coil spring setup front and rear makes the swap less costly, and easier to do. I've been thinking of going this way with mine.
- If I was you I'd keep the 327 and just rebuild it. 327's are some of the quickest reving chevy engines i've been around and they are getting harder to come by also.
- does your bed already have a wooden floor? If so you can replace it and it would look good. But to do it right is rather expensive, hard to maintain, and your scared to haul anything with it. I'd go the rhino lined route if it was me.
- Like someone else mentioned the cab corners, rockers (inner and outer), cab supports, and floor pans are all known to be the problematic rust areas. Luckly there is at least 20 different companies that make/sell patch panels for these trucks. I bought all the panels I just listed for $140 plus shipping.
- A popular swap is to convert the truck to a newer 5 lug pattern. This used to give you a larger selection of wheels. But in todays market you don't have that worry as much.

some websites for you to look at

sokyclassics.com
LMCtruck.com
goodmarkindustries.com
classicindustries.com
woodystrucks.cjb.net
impalas.com
yearone.com
golden-state-parts.com
chevyduty.com
ccgtruck.com
truckersparts.com
classicperform.com
oldchevytrucks.com
harmons.com
americanclassic.com
brotherstrucks.com

Jonesy

ya im deffinatly thinking the airbag route. Then i dont gotta work about scraping, cuz i can adjust it.... Also where did u get thee panels at for 140? cuz i probably will need them soon, its got a smal amount of rust, but i wanna get it taken care of asap.

Subarudude
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
I looked at it and i thought air bags :devil: Also, like a midnight blue with metallica flake paint job would own. Put a nice fiberglass tono(spelling lol) cover on it. Put on some nicer rims. Build the motor up a bit, or go all out and put a 502 in it :eek:

My dad use to have a 69 GMC like that, about 450 hp, it was fun haha

Jonesy
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I lucked out and found a vendor at a swapmeet that would match prices. I don't recall who exactly was the cheapest, but most are fairly close in price. Also by getting them at a swap meet I didn't have to pay shipping which you really have to watch out for in some of the catalogs/websites.

I am scraping together the componets for my air bag setup. Already have the compressor, lines and tank. Just need to make a visit to the local semi truck parts dealer and find me some bags.

For right now though I'll just go with a 2-3" static drop until I get everything together.

On another note, if you happen to run across a decent used tailgate while you are looking around, let me know. I can't for the life of me find one in my area.

Jonesy

Jonesy
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
this is kinda the look I'm going for right now.

Jonesy
08-23-2006, 09:51 AM
or something like this. I'm really digging the pin stripe flames.

Jonesy
08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
last one

Rico400
08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
crazy, the black with the red flame is the truck on my background. Thats exactly the look im going for. A nice satin black, lowered with a nice set of rims and some fat tires in the back. I also want to take out the park bench seat and throw in acouple bucket seats with a center console. leather enterior

my dad just called me and is thinking about dumping a 350 smallblock crate motor in it, what do you think about going with that idea? Ive got to getg decent gas milage until i follow strip the truck down and dump a 454 or something in it

robyone
08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
My buddys 72...
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=13571141&imageID=775560313&MyToken=35e40f17-9ba1-41e6-87ba-07e6b50a3653

dirt308
08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
The best thing to do is to go to the local car shows and look around for trucks around the same year and talk to the guys about the problems they had when building it. Also alot of the companies have pretty good technical support that can help you with any questions when building it. My dad and I just finished a 1959 apache with a built 355. heres a picture of it.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dirt308/59truck.jpg