PDA

View Full Version : cobra cleans up at loretta lynn's

camsdad
08-21-2006, 02:08 PM
same story as last year......woohoo cobra wins big at loretta lynns...well no disrespect to anyone riding a cobra BUT why shouldn't cobra win in the 50,70,and 90 production classes...show me some wins in the 90mod class or domination in the 70 shifter class and you'll get my respect...sure cobra won the 70 shifter at loretta's but what was there other than cobra...same story last year the fast 70mod kids weren't at loretta's..50 production class is like comparing the king cobra to a pw50..the cobra had better win...i just think if the cobra is so great why they don't field a 90 mod,shouldnt be a problem to make a quad thats 40 pounds lighter and has a superior power plant be competitive in a class with similar machines..remember this isnt directed toward anyone riding a cobra,i just get tired of reading the cobra hipe(no disrespect Harlen)

bowtiedmax
08-26-2006, 05:21 PM
I know exactly what your trying to say !!

See ya next year !!

LT80
08-27-2006, 08:47 AM
I've always stated that the best quad is the one you buy for your child.
I'm certainly no machine hater, but the answer to the mini quad parent working 4 days on a machine to race 3 days (cobra) just didn't happen.
Sure they are fast, they should be. They are made for the track, well, closer than any.

I questioned the tubing used for the frame. I asked a company abiout building frames and such and was told that he can get chromoly just as cheap as regular tubing, so why the oval type tubing on the cobra? For the same price, I'd think all would want the chromoly.

IMO: a race ready machine should come with nerfs. A 2k extreme comes with them.

I don't blame any parent that buys a cobra, I'd prolly want one for my kid also. :)

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I hate to say it but .... I cant agree more .

Ive seen some sweet,fast Cobras,and Ive seen some that the parts was literally falling off,taped on . Ive heard from repspectable race Companies( more than one) that they are expensive to maintain,getting ahold of the manufactuer is next to impossible to reach,parts are slow to get,overheating issues....

Kids are hard on minis and we can testifiy to that!But for the price it should be tohugher built than that .

And why in the world is these minis allowed to race ANYTHING but a shifter class (Nationally)in the 1st place ?! To me, there isnt alot of fairness there.

I too am not directing this is anyone specific.... To each there own, and Congrats to all the kids racing and winning races on there Cobras..but I personally dont have any desire for a Cobra even if my kids dont win all the races,we will wait for something else to come along.

camsdad
08-27-2006, 10:24 AM
usually my thinking seems to be totally wrong,atleast this time i'm in the ball park....the kids riding cobras have an advantage in the production classes,so do the 12y/o kids in 6to11 y/o class..same for 15y/o kids in 8to15 y/o classes...we didnt set out to race the nationals this yr,cam had just turned 8 and everyone figured he wouldn't be competitive on a shifter his first yr....well i guess he proved everyone wrong,youngest kid in the class,heaviest machine in the class and couldnt buy a holeshot....i say if cobra has built and sold 100 plus machines there should be enough to field cobra only classes at the nationals...i personally don't like my kid racing if there isnt a challenge,it has and will continue to make him a better person and a tougher competitor....as for parts falling off the only real complaint i have is the rear brake rotor on every cobra,they have to run the bolts loose so the rotor can float because of a fixed caliper desing..for that kind of money they should at least be able to address this tiny problem.what happens if these loose bolt shear off?

mxkids
08-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Cams Dad, I would have to disagree with you when you say that the fast 70 mod kids were not at Lorettas. I don't know if you have ever seen Dillion Starks race, but IMO he is probably the fastest rider in the 70 mod class. No, he has not raced a lot this year due to some family situations. No disrespect to Cam or the other riders. Starks ran off and left everybody else. As far as the 90 mod class goes, who knows. As far as wins, go back and look at results. In the 70 mod class there has been a different winner in moto 1 and moto2. These are the results I could pull up.

Race 3 Cam moto 1 took 1st, moto 2 he took a 2nd. Cole took an 8th in moto 1 and a1st in moto 2.
Race 4 Cam took a 1st in moto 1 and a 3rd in moto . Cole took a 3rd in moto 1 and a 1st in moto 2.
Race 5 Cam took a 4th in moto 1 and a 1st in moto 2. Brett took a 3rd in moto 1 and a 2nd in moto 2.
Race 6 Cam took a 2nd in moto 1, and a 2nd in moto 2. Brett took a 1st in moto 1 and a 3rd in moto 2.

That is all that I could go back and pull up on ATVRIDERS overall results. But from the looks of it no one person or machine has dominated the mod class. The same goes for the 90jr and sr class. you never know from week to week who is going to win. That is what makes it interesting. These kids are all GREAT riders. Everyone that runs is a good rider. Just because someone is not at a race does not mean that the fastest kids were not there, so that is why Joe Blow won.

Every quad has trouble no matter what you are riding or how much you have in it. I sit at NY and watched 3 or 4 90 mods get pulled off of the track. They all break or tear up at some point or another. No matter what you are on.

Sonia TIttle

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by mxkids
They all break or tear up at some point or another. No matter what you are on.

I agree on that forsure! ITs amazing to see how hard these kids ride!:macho
Can you imagine what they will be like when they are a bit older?
I wouldnt want to run against them!:o :p

camsdad
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
sonia,you have misread my post...what was meant by the fast 70 mod riders were the top three in points in 05.....yes i've seen dillon ride,he's very fast we beat him in fl he tied us in ga...(although he looked over his shoulder for three laps in the 2nd moto)i dont know why you have to look back on exriders for results,you attended every race we did...only two events were the over all based on two moto wins..al and ill....we drove along way and only raced as hard as we needed on sunday for the overall..you can believe cam knew who he had to beat on sunday and when you look at the little yellow blocks on the talley sheet 30 points = 30 points enuff said...as far as racing goes bubba and cam came from the back of the pack at almost every event,i think bubba would have been a serious threat if he would have rode a little more conservative and saved his quad when he could...as i stated in the origional post ..this isn't directed toward anyone who rides a cobra,just trying to let the average joe who doesnt frequent the national see the real pic....i guess from what your saying (and i totally agree) you must ride as hard as necessary and finish the race to claim an overall...i think presonally bubba,brett,bren,jeffrey,jesse, joel,cam etc etc would win no matter what bike they are riding.they are all there for the same reason -because they love racing...i'm glad the cobra were around so we had some one to race with this yr,just wish all the 70 mod owners from yrs past wouldn't have sold or moved up because of the threat of abolishing the class.we learned alot this yr and probably aren't going to race many nationals next yr due to the fact we're moving to 90 mod..at 8 y/o he's way ahead of his age group and will be mostly practicing next yr...as far as the 90jr and senior class ,you never knew who was going to win? from what i witnessed if the cobras finished both days w/o problems the had the advantage for a win.i dont blame cobra and i sure dont blame the parents.what doug morris has done though is dropped the attendance considerably by allowing cobras in these classes.last yr we had to qualify at every national except va (there were20 racers)in the 70 production class..how many qualifiers did we have this yr in any of the youth classes?answer not many... we raced the 70 production class last yr and fared well against the cobras(if cobra hadnt been present we would have won the 70 production class)on a cvt machine....if they split the classes to allow the cvt to run against one another we will bring our kasea back to the nationals again...

mxkids
08-28-2006, 02:42 PM
:)

motoxgirl419
09-06-2006, 06:29 PM
IMO......
I don't think it has anything to do with what "BRAND" of quad you have. I think, for the most part, it's the rider. I've seen some slow riders on some fast bikes and vice versa. I also, personally don't think the cobras are all that. Specially for the money.
But I'm sitting here reading this thread and thinking about all the races I have been to. And it's never just one brand winning all the races. If the kid has the drive to go and ride that thing, with everything it has, then chances are he/she is gonna win.

camsdad
09-06-2006, 07:07 PM
motoxgirl...well put...a good rider never gets any credit,let a great rider on a machine with a defecit run well and hes cheating...the reason for the whole post was just that the kids riding those machines won.NOT the almighty cobra..

90cc DAD
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
My son races the 90cc production class. And when he saw a Cobra pull in the lot.. he doesn't want to race. He knows that if they were on the same machine he would have a good race. But when you buy your kids wins.... It just proves that you have a big wallet and not the best racer!!

I have seen this same thing at the nationals as well as the local tracks. I think it is a great idea what is about to happen tomorrow!!! You will see!! Cobras will be seperated from the cvt quads and the 4 strokes will also get there own class. The Cobras will have to race in what they are now calling the SuperMini Class. It is about the same as the Mod class we have now. we will see how fast your kid is now!!! Now the quads will be even.... Nothing like a fair race!!

I agree the rider has alot to do with it... But my son always finished in the top 5. We put him on a Cobra for three races and he won ALL 3 RACES!! Was it the quad or the racer??:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
10-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 90cc DAD
Cobras will be seperated from the cvt quads and the 4 strokes will also get there own class. The Cobras will have to race in what they are now calling the SuperMini Class. It is about the same as the Mod class we have now. we will see how fast your kid is now!!! Now the quads will be even.... Nothing like a fair race!!

I agree the rider has alot to do with it... But my son always finished in the top 5. We put him on a Cobra for three races and he won ALL 3 RACES!! Was it the quad or the racer??:rolleyes:

My Husband and I both talked about this last night and I agree 100%.
And with the way the mini classes are growing , they desperately need a shifter to class to make it a little more fair.It DOES set the other kids up for disspaointment IMO and Im glad to hear they are doing it!

If you take a handful of great riders on both machines, a shifter is almost always going to win.You can only go so far with a CVT.
MY Daughter has proven that .

QuadJunkies
10-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by motoxgirl419
If the kid has the drive to go and ride that thing, with everything it has, then chances are he/she is gonna win.
I dont totally agree with that, and thats OK! :) I do see your side , but I just dont feel that falls under every rider on every machine CVT/shifter or why would us adults be moving up to 450's???A good rider can only shine so far then the quad is going to play a factor.

My Daughter has the drive, determination,skill,talent and a powerful mini....BUT... depending on what "kind" of racing we are talking about, this is not always the case.
I guarentee you if you take and combine all these on a WORCS race, depending on the course, the shifter is gonna win-IF you are grouping the talent equally on the line.This is ONE of the two reasons we are building a shifter ourself. My Daughter can hang with shifters to a certain point,but on Cross Country wide open they pull away. MX would be somewhat different. It really does matter on rider AND the type of course/racing were talkin.;)

We all have our own opinions and feelings on the topic, but who would have ever thought the mini sport would have grown to the magnitude it has in the past couple of years!:eek2: :cool:

dodgepower
10-08-2006, 05:22 AM
I have seen this same thing at the nationals as well as the local tracks. I think it is a great idea what is about to happen tomorrow!!! You will see!! Cobras will be seperated from the cvt quads and the 4 strokes will also get there own class. The Cobras will have to race in what they are now calling the SuperMini Class. It is about the same as the Mod class we have now. we will see how fast your kid is now!!! Now the quads will be even.... Nothing like a fair race!!

I I think it is a great idea what is about to happen tomorrow!!!

is it official?

howmuchnow
10-09-2006, 08:33 AM
90cc Dad, a national ready 90cc cvt will cost you more than a cobra so how can you say deep pockets will win. Splitting the class up ? the numbers are not there , we ran the atva nationals this year and in the 90 jr. class there were 2 cobras in the 90 sr. class there were 2 also . Do you really think the atva is going to give a class to a grupe that has 2 quads in it. If you kid is faster on a Cobra it's more than likely because of the suspension. Help you child buy him a cobra.:D

90cc DAD
10-09-2006, 09:42 AM
See how much you know!!! Saturday they voted on the new classes and the new tracks. The Cobras got moved!! Here are the new rules....

There is good news for 2007. Here are the NEW classes....

Open A
Open B
Open C
Quad Unlimited A
Quad Unlimited B/C
25+

Youth classes will be:

50 stock limited 4-8
70 auto CVT belt class 6-11
90cc 2 stroke/ 125 4 stroke CVT BELT class 8-15
4 stroke (up to 125) 8-15
Jr. Mini Quad (youth anything) up to 70cc 6-11
Super Mini Quad (youth anything) up to 90cc 2 stroke/ 125cc 4 stroke 8-15
91-200 2 stroke/91-300 4 stroke 13-15

Complete details on classes will be posted officially in a week or two.

90cc DAD
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Even the cvt quads have bad days!! My son took a bad crash yesterday and someone caught it on video!! Check it out...:eek2: :eek2: {{{Click on one of the links below!!}}}

Tyler's Crash!! (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Thunderrabbitdog/?action=view&current=DSCF0500.flv)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Thunderrabbitdog/th_DSCF0500.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Thunderrabbitdog/?action=view&current=DSCF0500.flv)

mxkids
10-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Can you tell me where you got your information. I would like to see it.

90cc DAD
10-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Can you tell me where you got your information. I would like to see it.

It came strait from the meeting in Ohio.
They voted on Saturday.
Give it a week and it will be posted on all distric sites and AMA and ATVA sites also.

mxkids
10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
was you at the meeting?

90cc DAD
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
was you at the meeting?

No Commit..:rolleyes:

mxkids
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
I take that as a NO!

QuadJunkies
10-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Like I said, maybe not ALL series are ready for th split, over here there is enough to divide.
The Cobra really hasnt been a quad of interest for us. Ive heard too many stories on reliability from some who owned them.To each there own and what works for one doesnt always work for another.
I think alot will agree a shifter class is a great idea!:) I think we are only going to see the minis numbers grow more and more each year in the Nationals. Just two-three years ago you heard of very few.

QuadJunkies
10-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by howmuchnow
90cc Dad, a national ready 90cc cvt will cost you more than a cobra so how can you say deep pockets will win. Splitting the class up ? the numbers are not there , we ran the atva nationals this year and in the 90 jr. class there were 2 cobras in the 90 sr. class there were 2 also . Do you really think the atva is going to give a class to a grupe that has 2 quads in it. If you kid is faster on a Cobra it's more than likely because of the suspension. Help you child buy him a cobra.:D

WOW... I thought ATVA would be a larger numbers than that.
I know for WORCS,they have large turn outs Ill have ot dig up some vidoe to show you the lineup.
I guess Im feeling fortunate then! :)

mxkids
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
WOW... I thought ATVA would be a larger numbers than that.
I know for WORCS,they have large turn outs Ill have ot dig up some vidoe to show you the lineup.
I guess Im feeling fortunate then! :)

HOWMUCHNOW is correct. There were only 2 cobras in the 90 jr class and 2 in the sr class all year at the ATVA nationals. If they go by the numbers I have a hard time believing it. If there were 10 cobras that would be different. But there wasn't.

QuadJunkies
10-09-2006, 11:18 AM
But its not just a Cobra thing... Its shifters in general...

But how many other series DO need the split?? What are the numbers at other tracks??I know theyu need it here and other parents will agree.
WOW... Maybe we need to come race back East afterall! :blah:

mxmike17
10-09-2006, 03:00 PM
The 50 class is different than whats posted on here

mxkids
10-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by MadSea862
Swede,

Those rules that were posted are NOT the ATVA rules. I repeat NOT ATVA rules. They are rules and classes SPECIFICALLY desiginated to District 6 ONLY for the 2007 season! I'm not sure who 90cc dad is but I'm sure their from our district because their sig at the end of their message was I'll be nice and say borrowed from a tag I use on a D6 Rules forum. Seems to be alot of that borrowing crap going around these days!:ermm:

NEVER MIND I KNOW WHO IT IS...I just went back and checked!
Yo Tylers Dad how can you come on a site like this and post like that? Those classes are specific to District 6. Alot of us on this site DO or have run the nationals and the rules and regulations are extremely important to all of us who travel across the country.

Are you that clueless?:huh :eek2:

Thanks, that kind of clears think up a little.

90cc DAD
10-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Brake is correct... I was wrong! The rules are for the Distric-6 ONLY. Not any other!
I will change my sig for ya!! Didn't know you clamed it. I got it out of a Dirt Wheels Mag. Guess there gonna make you famous.

MadSea862
10-09-2006, 07:45 PM
That's Mrs. Brake.

Just think before you type please!

We can discuss elsewhere!

PS: Swede call the old man will ya! :)

LT80
10-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I just spent a lil time at the atva site/results.
It seems that the Cobra's DID dominate in the 50cc production class. As expected, a younger rider with cobra suspension compared to a CVT machines suspension, did well.
Mostly the same in the 70cc production class with the exception that the CVT's riders did a lil better compared to the 50cc class.
Now in the 90cc class, I'd say the Cobra's DID NOT dominate as some expected. Honda's and CVT's knocking at the door at every race.
What did surprise me is that few cobra's were entered in the 90/70 mod/shifter classes. I expected more.

2 morals to this one as I see it::
1) Cobra being the answer to the mini parent working on a machine for 4 days to race 2 did not happen. They all can, and will break when doing what we ask of a machine. Cobra, Honda, or CVT.
2) 3 words:: RIDER-RIDER-RIDER! The RIDER seems to make a difference. Matter of fact, all the difference. And like most parents, we buy what we feel is: affordable and needed. Some need more and can. That's America! Love it or leave it. :D

IMO, the Cobra still has the upper hand as the results don't show track position.

My personnal congrats go out to Jesse Svarek and the "KCK" (Kymco Cobra Killer). LOL..That's what we're talking about~~RIDER!! :)