PDA

View Full Version : Any way to make a tie rod stronger?

Stock 400 rider
08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey I bent my tie rod and now anything that I hit makes it bent again.
It`s hard for me to get parts cause I`m not from US.
I just sent it to the shop to fix it again but I`m concerned that it might brake or something while I`m racing or hitting big jumps on the track.
So, can you possibly imagine a way to make it stronger?
Thanks.

F-16Guy
08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Maybe you could take it to a machinist and have a set made out of chromoly. It should be fairly simple for any decent machine shop.

bansheexcracer2
08-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I took steel tube that the tierod fit inside of perfictley and welded it together. I let about 1" of the tierod stick out on each end of the pipe. I race xc and hit aloght of trees and have not broke one yet. The only think you have to watch is the ends because since the rods cant give it will snap the ends. I have had them for a year and broke my first end yesterday.

Stock 400 rider
08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Dude that`s great but the ends cost a lot more than the tie rod actually.
Do you have any pics? Sounds interesting, thanks alot.

bwamos
08-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Heat treat the tie rod after you bend it back.

Heat it up with a torch until it's red hot, then drop it into an oil bath or water. But watch out for the splash.

Gives it its temper back. Bending it makes it loose it's temper.. that's why it rebends so easily. You need to harden it back up.

wilkin250r
08-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Heat treat the tie rod after you bend it back.

Heat it up with a torch until it's red hot, then drop it into an oil bath or water. But watch out for the splash.

Gives it its temper back. Bending it makes it loose it's temper.. that's why it rebends so easily. You need to harden it back up.

While the info is essentially accurate, I'm not sure I would reccomend that route. From my experience in metallurgy, the tempuratures and environments associated with heat-treating and hardening tend to be fairly specific.

I know Dennis Kirk sells new tie-rods and ends, and I'd imagine they can ship worldwide.

300excrazy98
08-29-2006, 08:33 AM
I would invest in some Burgard HD tie rods, they are really strong! they are twice the size of stock tie rods

gbcap
08-29-2006, 09:23 AM
i know its hard to get some, but get 4-5 at a time so you don't have to worry about it. your not really going to get it back to its original strenght. you can weld something around the outside but that is a temp fix.

the problem with making them too strong is they are made weaker then most other suspension parts so that they bend first. this prevents breaking something more expensive, spindles, arms, wheels. i would get a replacment one first.

bwamos
08-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
While the info is essentially accurate, I'm not sure I would reccomend that route. From my experience in metallurgy, the tempuratures and environments associated with heat-treating and hardening tend to be fairly specific.

I know Dennis Kirk sells new tie-rods and ends, and I'd imagine they can ship worldwide.

I agree 100%.
I just sugested it as a temporary fix until new ones come in.

CannondaleRider
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
In my honest opinion, I would rather a normal thickness/strength tie rod, then a large diameter, impossible to bend tie rod.

Because, if you hit something hard enough to bend a tie rod, but the tie rod CAN'T bend, there's a good chance a different, more expensive, part will.

Just my 0.02

Stock 400 rider
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Yeah I just weld something around the outside as a temp fix.
Do you think the other side without it will bent more easily?

Scro
08-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider

Because, if you hit something hard enough to bend a tie rod, but the tie rod CAN'T bend, there's a good chance a different, more expensive, part will.

Just my 0.02

Yeah, like a trip to the doctor because of a broke wrist:eek2: :p

firefighterjosh
08-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Make them out of titanium. :p I would just keep a set always handy. If you tie rod dosen't bend then you steering stem will. or the tie rod ends will snap.

Another alternative. STOP HITTING STUFF lol JJ:D