PDA

View Full Version : Front Brakes seizing-up

cmmndr
08-21-2006, 10:55 AM
I have a 98 Polaris 500 Sportsman, and it doesn't get riden very often. I noticed recently after riding for 15 minutes, both front wheels were seizing-up. The brake lever on the handle bar was under so much pressure, It wouldn't budge. After letting sit for a half hour, it was loose enough to allow me to drive for another 15 minutes, but the same thing occured. I took off the top of the brake fluid resevoir to see if it was under prssure, but it wasn't. Plenty of fluid was still in the resevoir.

Any ideas of what has happened, and how to fix?

Thanks! Mike

red2004 TRX450R
08-21-2006, 12:15 PM
I dont Know what kind of brakes are on a 500. but if they are hydraulic disk check and see the the calipers are sticking. they should slide freely on the two bolts and when the front and back of the caliber meats the bracket. clean them and apply never seize to the bolts.

or the caliper pistons could be sticking in the caliper - need to rebuild !

could have a kink or bad brake lines.

master cylinder could be bad.

does one lever control the frount and back if so some thing may be wrong there.

good luck and welcome to the forms.

cmmndr
08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
1 handle bar lever controls the front 2 disc brakes(hydraulic). They both are seizing. I don't think I have ever changed the fluid, and I don't think there is a kink. As I said earlier, after letting sit for a half hour or so, they are not that bad but seize again after about 15 minutes of riding.

It has been through water before, so rust or the lack of use could be a reason.

Thanks for your help and I am glad I have found this forum.