PDA

View Full Version : tie rods

400exstunta
08-26-2002, 02:17 PM
ok so i bent my left tie rod... where can i get replacement tierods at? any idea how much they cost?

i could just straighten it and use some rebar or something to re-enforce it. but i prolly shouldnt ride hard on it, right?

mike

Doibugu2
08-26-2002, 02:20 PM
I believe I heard they are like $8 from service honda. They are pretty cheap.

400exstunta
08-26-2002, 05:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1853026272

tie rods on ebay
what ya think better than stock?

CBRSLIDER
08-26-2002, 06:10 PM
I recommend just replacing the tie rod. It is $4-5 from service honda and is easy to replace. Don't just bend it back and try to use it, I learned the hardway. I bent one and bent it back then raced with it. It cost me a first place when I bumped into a tree while leading my class, and bent it again. Real bummer after 2 hours of racing.

I was also thinking about the stronger aftermarket stainless or aluminum tie rods but remember something has to give. I would rather it be a $5 tie rod than a $??? spindle. Just something to think about. Infact I bent another one yesterday while racing(darn trees) and will just be replacing it with another stock one.

Order a few extras from service honda. If ya can't wait then go to the local honda shop and they are only like $6.75 retail. Alot cheaper than a spindle.

Ray

Braff1
08-27-2002, 05:43 AM
I agree with CBRSLIDER in just buying the stocker. The tie rod was made to bend instead of bending the aluminum spindle. The tie rods are about 5.00$ so just buy 2 and keep one around for a spare and/or restraighten the bent one for a desperate back up.

Scott
08-27-2002, 06:01 AM
I think this is the first post where I disagree with CBRSlider. I sleeved my tie rods in January of 2000, all I ride is woods, never seen a sand dune. I have not broken anything in the front end. I did invest in a steering stabilizer after jamming my wrists a couple times, but absolutely nothing on my front end has been hurt by sleeving my tie rods that I have found. I do have a tie rod end that's wearing out, but it's a factory end that's had almost 3 years of riding on it. Maybe the sleeves made it wear faster than it would have, don't know.

Everyone I ride with has sleeved tie rods on their 300s and 400s and none of the 7 400s or 2 300s have experienced a broken spindle.

PROFAB ATV sells B&M Racing Gorilla Bars for the Honda's. They're aluminum tie rods sleeved with stainless steel and then polished up and look like chrome. I think they're about $40 set.