PDA

View Full Version : Plastics problem

Coolidge
08-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Started to teardown my 06 450er (still under warranty) When the top rt fender screw, the one that goes into the gas tank is stripped. The threads are frozen, and the nutsert just spins in the tank. I was able to fanagle the plastic off w/o too much trouble. But, how do I get the bolt out w/out further damage to tank? Is something like this under warranty? (im pretty sure I know what that answer will be... :ermm: ) Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated. ~Guy

08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
The dealer should give you a new tank under warranty.

Coolidge
08-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Cool...I hope so. Thier service dept is closed MOnday. I'll give them a call Tuesday. Thx

450R_lover
08-21-2006, 03:55 PM
If you dont get a new tank.. what you do is... you take a flat head screwdriver and stick it down in between the little brass fitting that is in the tank that the screw goes in. This will hold that fitting from spinning. then you unscrew the bolt. IF you need me to explain more in depth.. let me know.

RayWilt
08-21-2006, 04:01 PM
we have had 2 of them here at our dealership and honda has taken care of them both no questions asked

Coolidge
08-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
The dealer should give you a new tank under warranty.

...I agree, they SHOULD, but they didnt, and wont. Took the tank to my dealer yesterday. My quad is only 5mos old, maybe 8hrs on it. When I spoke w/the 'Tard' "Service Mgr", he basically laughed at me and said, "its a dirt bike, it has "0" warranty". Thats funny the dude who happily took my 7K said this thing had a 6 mos basic warranty, heck I could even BUY an extended warranty...
Anyways, Im gonna speak to my sales guy, then sales mgr, then seek out the shop owner, and American Honda if need be. This (the tank) is NOT a wear/tear item. It is related to: workmanship/materials (Honda) and/or whomever set-up the quad (dealer). Some dealers forget that the internet makes the world a much smaller place.

Anybody have any other suggestions on how to get my tank replaced under warranty? Thx in adv. ~Guy

RayWilt
08-23-2006, 12:34 PM
they do have a 6 month warranty so if you are still under that time you should have no trouble. Id try another dealership in the area if you can cause the dealership you are dealing is horrible all they have to do is call honda and they will replace it no questions ask we've done 2 at our shop. I called the one into honda myself and summited the claim. If you cant get anywhere with them then call honda customer service tell them your situation and how they treated you and honda will get all over your dealer. good luck with it

08-23-2006, 12:40 PM
i had heard this was a problem with the earlier models,but had been fixed long before the '06's came out. what i heard was that even if the bike was out of warranty, honda replaced for free...could be hearsay, but i tend to think honda likes to have happy customers

rlplive
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
3 of my buddies with 450s have the same problem, mine works thank goodness.

Coolidge
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Just got off phone w/American Honda. Sounds like they are on the ball. I called my dealer, and my salesman, who is, "No longer there" I then asked for sales mgr (also not there), then I asked for Gen mgr (guess what....not there), so I asked for the owner-not there but DID at least have voice mail. No return call.

The guy I spoke w/@ Honda was very understanding, and I am now waiting to hear whats up. Thanks for all the responses. RayWilt, if you were a dealer close to me, you would have my business for sure ~Thx

Chino886
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
Just got off phone w/American Honda. Sounds like they are on the ball. I called my dealer, and my salesman, who is, "No longer there" I then asked for sales mgr (also not there), then I asked for Gen mgr (guess what....not there), so I asked for the owner-not there but DID at least have voice mail. No return call.

The guy I spoke w/@ Honda was very understanding, and I am now waiting to hear whats up. Thanks for all the responses. RayWilt, if you were a dealer close to me, you would have my business for sure ~Thx

how did you get a hold American Honda?? I have the same problem with my 06.

Coolidge
08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Dave, try 866-784-1870. Good Luck
~Guy

kbass24emtp
08-23-2006, 11:55 PM
I found a way to prevent this from ever happing again. I just put some Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant on them. Going on two years with no problems.

firefighterjosh
08-24-2006, 12:06 AM
My friends 450 did the same thing. The dealer gave him a new tank

Coolidge
08-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Got a call from American Honda, who DID call my dealer.
....looks like Im getting a new tank! I just hope I can get all this done B4 Labor Day wknd. BTW, I ALWAYS use anti-seize on all bi-metal fasteners (esp into alum) but this was from dealer set-up, or part defect. BTW, I did also try the screwdriver(s) trick. Still wouldnt budge the damn thing
Thx again all