PDA

View Full Version : piston??

raptorrider314
08-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Well this weekend I cracked my case. Im going to order a new one but while im in there i think im gonna put a new piston in. So i was wondering wat should i get? I heard teh VCP ones are really good. Any suggestions?

firefighterjosh
08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't know much about Raptor piston, but just don't get a Wiesco.

Let the Hate Begin..............

raptorrider314
08-21-2006, 12:38 AM
srry i didnt say i do have a yfz

firefighterjosh
08-21-2006, 01:38 AM
I am retarted I should have looked at the Sig....

Still my opion is that Wiesco seems to be cheap.

I have seen wiesco piston last a long time but I have seen so many ppl have problems with them.

My vitos pistons are made by wiesco and they have been the best I have ever seen in a banshee....plus they have been through hell and back a few times. So I guess maybe it just depends what kind you get.

2muchquad
08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Wiseco makes good pistons,i have used them for years troublefree.Installation along with proper maintenance is the key.Slapping a new stock size piston in a worn out cylinder bore isnt the way to go with any piston regardless of manufacturer.Ring end gap is important too but most people take the piston out the box and slap it in.This is a no no.;) I have seen 2 strokes with lean jetting start to fry a piston and rider blames it on the wiseco that was in it.:eek2:

firefighterjosh
08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Wiseco makes good pistons,i have used them for years troublefree.Installation along with proper maintenance is the key.Slapping a new stock size piston in a worn out cylinder bore isnt the way to go with any piston regardless of manufacturer.Ring end gap is important too but most people take the piston out the box and slap it in.This is a no no.;) I have seen 2 strokes with lean jetting start to fry a piston and rider blames it on the wiseco that was in it.:eek2:

Well I do not do any of that. And I know plenty of other ppl that rebuilt there bikes and quads the correct way and they have problems.

I always get the piston and send it out to the shop. They bore it out. Then I put the piston back in with the correct procedure. With my experince I have noticed the Wiesco Cheap pistons I see on the market don't seem to last.

2muchquad
08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Sure i sure every brand has their problems,but on the whole i use wiseco almost exclusively.They work for me.:D

firefighterjosh
08-21-2006, 10:15 PM
It also depends on wht kind of other mods you go. If you have a full blown race engine and you go to the local shop and buy a $20 Piston it is gonna blow up.

GPracer2500
08-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
...I know plenty of other ppl that rebuilt there bikes and quads the correct way and they have problems...

Like what?

firefighterjosh
08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Piston Skirt Failed. Honda even rebuilt this one and said it was the piston. Now this could be a cover up, I am just going by wht they said. I also had a case were the piston ring broke. There is alot of well it could have been this and that. But that is what happend.

Mx_523
08-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Nobody like JE pistons anymore?:confused:

underpowered
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
JE are great! i highly recomend JE pistons.
Ross makes great stuff too. Athena makes good pistons for teh YFZ.

But whats wrong with Wiseco? i have never had any problems caused by the piston. poor instalation yes, but not the product. But wiseco is not a "cheap" piston. they are a quality product, but do have their wuirks just like everything else. #1 in my bood is incorrect comp. ratios, but that is not much of a problem. I use wiseco most of the time, but do prefer JE or ross.

2muchquad
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
If the piston skirt failed 9 times out of 10 its the big end rod bearing on the way out.Excessive piston clearances will do this too.;) Didnt wiseco buy je?

firefighterjosh
08-23-2006, 01:57 AM
I am not saying Wiesco Can't make good piston but in the 2-stroke world they seem to be cheaply made. The piston I run are Vitos which are made by weisco, and they have been though hell. So I guess I am wrong and right. I guess this is what I should say....If you go to the local dealer and buy a weisco they just don't seem as well made as a JE, Vitos....I do not know this is hard to explain over the net.

Just my opinion and past experinces a basic weiso piston just dosen't seem to last.