PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Bay death???

z400roosteR
08-20-2006, 11:42 PM
I was there this weekend and they had a cross and little memorial set up to the left of Banshee hill by the trees...I Cross with the date 7/7/06 and a Youth helmet on top of flowers and a flag next to it....Wondering if anyone knows the story if they kid died at the dunes/hill or just loved to ride so they threw up the memorial there... Any help finding the story would be good, Thanks...

(and no i don't remember the name on it)

WoofersInc
08-22-2006, 10:38 PM
If someone died riding there it is truly sad. At any of the big sand areas there is always the risk. Especialy on busy weeekends and holidays. My condolences to the family.

Eddiesanders250
08-23-2006, 07:56 PM
i saw the cross too last time i was there. i thought that there were two crosses but maybe not. i did not go up close to read what it or they said but i really hope that it didnt happen because of a stupid rider

tator
08-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I have herd two ways on this one is that the person wasn't wareing an helmet and flip.:( The other one is that he was riding down banshee and got stabed by a tree limb in the chest this way
was in the news paper. But the kid did die there is a helmet and goggles on the cross.:ermm:

suzukigirl
08-26-2006, 04:29 PM
i was just there a few days ago and i heard about what happened..aparently an old guy... about 65 or so...was riding without a helmet and went over a hill that had a 8 foot straight drop....i guess it flipped and rolled on top of him and broke his neck.....i think it happened near banshee and thats why they put it there...they put the helmet there as a reminder to wear your helmet

mattonln
08-27-2006, 08:22 PM
nope, he was a young kid, 18 or 19, riding without a helmet and flipped down banshee hill, landing on his head. he died on the spot from head trauma. I was there that weekend, it was about a month ago, but didn't see the crash or anything. I also heard the other story about the drop off but i heard it was a girl not wearing a helmet. that happened about a week ago. sad sad stories, but just goes to show that you should always wear a helmet.

firefighterjosh
08-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Stupid Hurt and sometimes Stupid Kills

QuadJunkies
08-27-2006, 08:51 PM
you read stuff like this and can you believe...there are still peeps who STILL dont wear there brain buckets!:confused:
Helmets DO save lives...

codeman583
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
he died doing the left side of banshee hill. he hit his head on a tree limb without a helmet, and died.... this is very surreal because two weekends before i worked at making the same climb....

(starts all the way at the bottom, and goes to the "s" turns, then splits off left to the climb around the crest of the hill, and right to the main part pf banshee hill.)

... I made it a few times, and then the last time I went I made the lower section super quick, carried a ton of speed to the corner, and then smacked my head on the same limb.... helmet of course, but it was for sure dangerous... we heard about him dying about 2 weeks after it happened, and it just sent chills down my spine... the left climb from the bas has changed significantly since then, and that limb is completely out of the way now. but yes someone did die there, check the papers out of Roseburg OR for more details, they had a write up on it.

peecout
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by codeman583
he died doing the left side of banshee hill. he hit his head on a tree limb without a helmet, and died.... this is very surreal because two weekends before i worked at making the same climb....

(starts all the way at the bottom, and goes to the "s" turns, then splits off left to the climb around the crest of the hill, and right to the main part pf banshee hill.)

... I made it a few times, and then the last time I went I made the lower section super quick, carried a ton of speed to the corner, and then smacked my head on the same limb.... helmet of course, but it was for sure dangerous... we heard about him dying about 2 weeks after it happened, and it just sent chills down my spine... the left climb from the bas has changed significantly since then, and that limb is completely out of the way now. but yes someone did die there, check the papers out of Roseburg OR for more details, they had a write up on it.

Ya, this is what I heard too. The guy at Discovery Bay Resort told the same story

codeman583
09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
man! I wish that Discovery bay guy carried more oils, and maintenance parts... i hate having to drive to Pelican.... but it isn't that far.

JSmall
09-12-2006, 04:57 AM

I made that climb a few times last weekend. It was kind of eerie knowing someone died trying it not long before. Seeing that cross and helmet down there makes you think twice about trying it.

codeman583
09-12-2006, 08:22 AM
were you there on labor day? when we were there labor day it was like a freeway. it used to be a little hole in between a couple trees.. i think it was further left too. still hard to do though... and definately eerie.

JSmall
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
were you there on labor day? when we were there labor day it was like a freeway. it used to be a little hole in between a couple trees.. i think it was further left too. still hard to do though... and definately eerie.

No, I was there last weekend 8th - 10th. It was difficult, but nothing I haven't done before. The last part of the climb that goes straight up the the left after the trail opens up out of the trees is nasty...steep w/ roots everywhere. The thing that gets me is I tried it about 10 times and all but a few of them I had to back down because people were coming down the trail. Some of them were people that couldn't make it, but a most of them just decided to go down instead of up.

oneten
09-14-2006, 09:12 PM
i was just there and it wasnt to bad anymore, my friend said he was there when they were making it and he was 1 of 2 bikes making it with a stock swing arm, i saw the helmet i think it said max or mark or something like that, another person got hurt real bad or died when i was there there was about 5-6 rescue vehicle that flew down the road and didnt come back for about 2 hours