Woodrowbt
08-20-2006, 09:55 PM
What all do i need for the 440 bore?

Piston 11:1 or 12.5:1?
sleeve
gaskets
cam stage 2 or stage 1?

That it?

I see all the ebay kits for around 250-300 bucks....i dunno if it would be a good choice, because i dunno if thats all i need.

Can i still use pump gas with the 440 kits?

I don't know how much labor would be to install this, if anyone has an idea on how much feel free to answer.

Would i be killing the life of my motor? (usually ride for 3-5 hours when i ride)

I do mostly trail riding but i drag my friends every now and then messing around.

Would a 416 be a better choice? Seeing these and 426 kits on Ebay.com also. Would it be any comparison to the 440 kit?

Anyway, thanks alot for the info. I just didn't want to spend 300 bucks on somethign not complete.

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 10:18 PM
I'd strongly recommend getting heavy duty head studs installed for any higher compression, larger bore piston. A ran a 10.5:1 406 for a long time on the stock studs but eventually blew the head gasket.

12.5:1 compression will require racing fuel barring some highly unusual circumstance. Even a 11.0:1 piston could require something better than 91 pump depending a whole bunch of different factors.

I'd go with a stage 2 cam when adding a high compression piston.

Personally, I'm a fan of 10.5-11:1 416 builds for the 400EX. If you want/need more than that then you might as well sell the quad and get one of the newer technology 450s. Just my opinon.

Woodrowbt
08-20-2006, 10:28 PM
thanks for the reply.

yeah i was thinking about doing the 416 over the 440 just needed some info on it. 440 just seems like it would be too much for my 400. Don't want to screw it up. Don't need crazy power ....just want a bit more.

So basically i would need:

11:1 comp 87mm piston (wiseco i guess)
HC Stage 1 cam would be best for this?
Maybe gaskets? Which ones?

Don't need a sleeve correct?

Do i need heavy duty studs for this?

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Woodrowbt
thanks for the reply.

yeah i was thinking about doing the 416 over the 440 just needed some info on it. 440 just seems like it would be too much for my 400. Don't want to screw it up. Don't need crazy power ....just want a bit more.

So basically i would need:

11:1 comp 87mm piston (wiseco i guess)
HC Stage 1 cam would be best for this?
Maybe gaskets? Which ones?

Don't need a sleeve correct?

I'd get a stage 2 cam with a higher than stock compression piston. The stage two will help it breath up top and the loss in dynamic compression (w/ stg2 vs. stg1) will more than be made up for by the piston's higher compression.

You can get appropriately sized gaskets from Wiseco, Cometic, and others.

You won't need a new sleeve for a 87mm piston.

I would get heavy duty head studs installed in the cylinder when you get it bored. Make sure they're installed with a roll from tap--not a cutting tap.

Woodrowbt
08-20-2006, 10:51 PM
You rock man.

One more question! lol sorry :ermm:

Like i was saying I don't want crazy power....just a bit more, but a good amount to be very noticable on acceleration and top speed.

Will this setup be pretty noticable?

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Woodrowbt
You rock man.

One more question! lol sorry :ermm:

Like i was saying I don't want crazy power....just a bit more, but a good amount to be very noticable on acceleration and top speed.

Will this setup be pretty noticable?

Yes.

I'm assuming you already have or will do intake/exhaust mods. A slip-on (or full pipe) with an aftermarket filter and airbox lid venting (or removal) will compliment the engine mods nicely.

And don't forget jetting!

Woodrowbt
08-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Yes.

I'm assuming you already have or will do intake/exhaust mods. A slip-on (or full pipe) with an aftermarket filter and airbox lid venting (or removal) will compliment the engine mods nicely.

And don't forget jetting!

Yeah i have a slip on and thinking about some vents on the lid(ride on really dusty trails and mud sometimes)

thanks for your help....i appreciate it.