PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket thoughts??

redexrider
08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Alright I hit Sand Mountain Nevada this weekend, and it was my first ride with the 14t sprocket. I have to say I am not impressed. It felt like it made my bike weak. I couldn't wheelie for s**t, and it is supposed to give you more low end torque?? The only difference I felt was the mellow third, climbing in 3rd was smoother than before, but it felt slow to me. I just want everyones thoughts and the whole 14t front. I ride dunes alot, but also trail riding. It really felt like it took alot of my low end power away. I am almost positive I am going to go back to stock front (15t my bike is a 2000) Anyone else had bad experience with the 14t in sand?? I still want to try it out on dirt and trails, but for sand I don't like it. A couple more little questions here... Are hotcams drop in? If I went to a stage 2 hotcam, would it be an easy job? (I am mechanically inclined) And what about the 416 higher compression piston, is that drop in as well? I have searched already and found alot of info, but didn't quite understand clearly. I have heard you don't need to bore or anyhting for the 416, but I just want to make sure it is something I can do without taking it in to a machinist. Any help here would be appreciated guys and gals. Thanks

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
It was the sand, not the sprocket. The sprocket was actually helping you in the sand. Sand "robs" an astounding amount of power. If you had switched back to the 15 while you where out there then your acceleration would have felt that much worse.

I like a 14 on my quad for the dunes. For most other places I prefer a 15 but often don't bother to switch it back from my last dune trip.

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 10:06 PM
The stock piston is 85mm in diameter (397cc). An 87mm piston gets you to 416cc. You have to bore the cylinder sleeve 2mm to accomidate the larger piston. What you're probably thinking of is that you don't need a new sleeve for a 416--which is true. The "sleeve" is an steel sleeve that is pressed into the aluminum casting that makes up the cylinder. The stock sleeve is only so thick, so for pistons larger than 88mm you need to remove the stock sleeve and fit a larger one that can accomidate a larger bore.

Most cams (like the HC stage 2) are drop-in. Get a service manual and go at it. If you can adjust your valves you can install a cam.

Honda2000
08-20-2006, 10:10 PM
to many people it is a must to drop down a tooth. I alaways drop down a tooth.