PDA

View Full Version : NOS, Anyone using it?

GoLikeHell
10-12-2001, 05:24 PM
Hi guys!
I picked up my 400EX last night, and what a nice looking machine! This is my first quad I have ever owned but learned how to ride on a US90. ( that should give away my Age)

I like the power of the 400, but would like more! has anyone ran NOS on a 400ex? And what was the HP gain? And the last question, who sells a kit for them?

Thanks in advance!
Mark in MI!
:square

10-12-2001, 08:40 PM
SO YOU WANT TO BLOW UP YOUR ENGINE ALREADY I MEAN AT LEAST WAIT 3 DAYS . JK

BUT I DONT KNOW OF ANYONE WHO SELLS A KIT FOR A 400EX BUT WHY DONT YOU TRY A PIPE FILTER NEW JETTING AND IF THAT DONT SATISFY YOU GET A FOURSTROKE TECH 500 KIT JUST SEND THE WHOLE BIKE TO FOURSTROKE TECH AND TELL EM TO GIVE IT THE WHOLE 500CC JOB , IF YOU WANT NOS I SUGGEST GETTING A BANSHEE THERE ARE SOME COMPANIES WHO SELL KITS FOR THEM

oynot400
10-12-2001, 09:16 PM
I don't know how old you are but beware of being power hungry because it will hurt. I have a friend that is 30 and he wanted a fast bike to compete with his brothers' banshee. Well he is layed out the rest of the year with a broken arm and shoulder.
I suggest getting to know your bike, build up your mods like raptakilla14 said with a pipe, filter, ect. The only reason I can see to run NOS is if you are into drag racing, but you need a properly built engine for that. I know it is a little late now but you should of asked yourself what kind of riding you are going to do. Believe me the 400ex has a lot of potenial and I am sure you will be happy with it. ;)

GoLikeHell
10-12-2001, 11:39 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. I was looking at pipes and cams, but I wanted something that didnt have to be there all the time.

Reason I wanted to know if anyone was running NOS is I am a old street racer. Walking softly with a big stick always flagged you as a underdog, and I have humilated many cars. I wanted to have the same advantage out drag racing my 400EX.

Maybe then you guys can tell me what mod would be the best bang for the buck, but also not noticeable to the naked eye. LOL

Thanks again!
Mark in MI!

BTW: If you are wondering what kind of car I street raced, it was a 1986 Dodge Omni 12.50@110mph
:devil

10-13-2001, 12:52 AM
run a alcohol carb..bore it to 416 with a 12.5 compression piston...race prting and polishing and a big cam

10-13-2001, 02:35 AM
If I had the $ and intelligence, I would skip NOS, build a low-compression high flow motor and design a turbochager system. Imagine riding a 4 stroke thumper with the lovely low tone exhaust key, mixed with a lovely high end whistle! Also check out Alba's site, I'm not exactly sure, but I think NOS EXPRESS has completely designed a NOS kit for the Banshee, you could probably call up almost any NOS company and have them help you fabricate a kit. Has anyone seen a 2 stroke with nitrous, I think that would burn up right away, but a 4 stroke may take low level spraying for a while. Also I remember an ATV ACTION mag with a raptor using NOS, I think he was spraying over 30HP!!!

ccole400EX
10-13-2001, 05:43 AM
Try emailing this guy jkatv400ex@aol.com. In a post at atv connection he says his buddy has a stock 400ex with NOS maybe he could help you out if thats the way you want to go. Got his email from his profile. Hope this helps.

barbwire44
10-13-2001, 06:17 AM
hey i would like to see a pic of the dodge omni going 112 that sounds a little funny even with nitrous. Of course theres a guy on here running around 90 in the 1/4 on a smallblock chevy powered fourtrax 90. LOL

wyndzer
10-13-2001, 06:33 AM
Buy a FCR carb and convert it to alcohol. I did it and all I have to do is switch the carbs and gas tank to run either gas or alcohol. Very simple. I got an extra gas tank off Ebay. Plus I get alcohol for about 1.75 a gallon where race fuel is about 3.50. Alcohol will keep the motor cooler also. You just have to purge the fuel system when you let the quad sit for more than a day or two.

GoLikeHell
10-13-2001, 07:36 AM
Thanks for eveyone's replies. I think ill give NOS a call Monday and find out what is needed to NOS my 400, and how much I can spray.

Barbwire, here is an early pick of my omni running a 12.57@108 mph. Milan dragway is very good for maintaining there equipment LMAO! ( BTW, No NOS on the Omni)

Thanks again
Mark in MI!

barbwire44
10-13-2001, 07:49 AM
well i'll shut my mouth ....i mean rest my case cool

Tommy 17
10-13-2001, 03:23 PM
Dude thats fast.

nakomis0
10-13-2001, 03:27 PM
Well If your going to do NOS you need to totally rebuild your lower half.. rod, crank, bearings, whatever the hells down there.

Thats probably like $1300,

and then you probably want your upper half built, (your not going to put nos on a slow turd) so theres another $1300,

than you have the nitrous kit ..write up a check for another $1000. (at least)

Oh ya don't for get the larger oil cooler, and resivior cause your going to burn hot as hell another $500.

Now you have a very fast bike that can take about 10-15 shots of nitrous (depending on the size of the HP NOS shot) before it grenades and needs an engine rebuild.. get ready to get your check book out again:blah

You can have an 'elite' 400ex by just doing all the motor mods, carb, big bore, ect. I'd stay away from NOS or the pain in the arse alchol unless thats really what you want, and are into.

I looked into NOS, a hope to get it in maybe 5-10 years, but it will be a small shot, of only maybe 20hp, and the bike will probably only be taken out and rode once or twice a yr.

Let us know what you find out from the NOS guys.

10-13-2001, 04:39 PM
Unrelated: rapturdkiller, easy on the caps!

stevengates45
10-13-2001, 07:26 PM
I got a neighbor next door that has a 350 truck that he hopped up majorly thats on NOS, with out it it runs low 12's at a drag strip over by my town called Hub City. With his NOS on he runs low 11.s Now think, yes its very fast, but for a truck, thats insane.

10-13-2001, 07:30 PM
Hey GoLikeHell,

You got your little avitar off of my website didn't you?

10-13-2001, 07:51 PM
sorry for the caps but the computer is always on caps when i start and typing and i never notice

GoLikeHell
10-14-2001, 09:30 AM
Well it looks like no one here has ever used NOS on your bikes. Ill let everyone know what I come up with and how the unit works.

yee-haw_400EX_Racer,
Nope, I got the pic from www.honda.com and just resized it.

Send your link tho, I'm new to the EX rider forum

thanks
Mark

10-14-2001, 11:03 AM
Thats alright rapa.

I have seen NOS used on a Banshee, 250R, and a crappy LT-250R, but never a four stroke machine. I would bet it adds more power per shot to a two stroke tho.

10-14-2001, 01:11 PM
There is a guy that drag races his DS650 here that has NOS on it. I believe it is a 20 or 30 shot and he has it by Direct Port Injection which means he inhects it directly in to the intake manifold. He has like $15,000 in his motor though.

10-14-2001, 03:04 PM
GoLikeHell - sorry to bother, but do you have any up close pics of your Omni? A buddy of mine has always talked about these GLH Omnis, and i've been a little curious about them. Any specs would be appreciated.

stevengates45
10-14-2001, 06:43 PM
Yea bruh, we got a lot of bikes down here that spray. You can get Nitrous at http://www.trinityracing.com

MOFO
10-14-2001, 07:10 PM
If I remember right, the GLH was a 2.2 turbo. I dont remember the power outputs, but I know they were fast little buggers right from the factory.

I saw alot of the GLH's and the "turbo" mini vans at this years Mopar Nats (more than I thought there would be). I was surprised to see the times they posted. :)

Eric

GoLikeHell
10-15-2001, 01:28 PM
Thumper,
Here is my web link, but for some reason its down right now.

http://members.nbci.com/golikhell/index.html

I have done some research today and found out NOS does make a kit for the 400EX. I havent called them direct yet to see what the Hp gains are, and how adjustable it is.

Thanks
Mark

10-15-2001, 01:54 PM
What the hell ya need NOS fer????? IF ya wanna go that fast go buy a drag bike,,,Hell I just pour some good ole,,KY moonshine in my tank and it adds like 24 HP........Hold on Nelly,,,she's runnin like a scalded dog....WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Warrioreater400ex
10-15-2001, 10:07 PM
hahah o my gahhh rico you crack me up!!

as for NOS, i would buy like a 465 kit before i would go nitrous. but thats just me.

has anyone ever seen a LT500 on nitrous???? i havent but i bet that is one scary as heck ride!!!