PDA

View Full Version : newB here!!! ?'s on k&n outerwear

yellow400rider
08-26-2002, 12:46 PM
hello everyone. this is my first post on this board. i have surfed exriders for a couple of months since i bought my 400ex and finally registered. :D anyway my ? is what the heck is "outerwear" for the k&n?? my first mods will b k&N and a yosh r-3 slip-on, and a re-jet kit. but what is the outerwear? is it extra? only for dust conditions? please help i know this is a dumb ?. along w/ the yosh pipe, and k&n, what jet should i run?? my elevation is below 3000 ft. thanks

yellow400rider
08-26-2002, 12:49 PM
after some searching im under the impression that outerwear is the air box lid cover :confused: is this correct??? also where should i buy these parts? thanks again

08-26-2002, 01:18 PM
no actually that airbox lid is just modified but it does the same purpose the actuall outerwear does. it is just like a sock type thing that goes over the air filter. use the extra money you would spend on the outerwear and k&n and just buy a really good foam filter. i like my twin air filter. really nice and traps alot of the dust that gets sucked thru. k&n has a good name and i higher flow but i would be on the safe side and just buy a good foam filter. hope this helped!

Scott
08-26-2002, 01:24 PM
An outerwear is a thin fliter that goes over the K&N. That's the setup I run right now. On another quad I ran a dual stage foam filter, it was a 2 stage Uni. It's just a choice of preference, but work just fine, and I don't think you're going to notice a difference in air flow between a 2 stage foam and a K&N and outerwear.

If you don't want to buy an outerwear, use a section of pantyhose, does the same thing.

I think 4punksdad said he uses the pantyhose as an outerwear.

yellow400rider
08-26-2002, 01:51 PM
thanks for the great replies so far, im thinking ill get the k&n w/ the outerwear just for extra pre-caution. that combined w/ the yosh comp slip-on what jet size should i run???

Quadfather
08-26-2002, 05:02 PM
I run a Yosh slip on, a K&N with outerwear, and a 165 main jet scoots mine along perfectly.

phatswinn
08-27-2002, 11:43 AM
the outerwares is the fine filter for the k&n kinda makes it a dual stage, welcome to the site

08-27-2002, 08:28 PM
If you are going to run the K&N with an outerwear take your airbox lid off or modify it. I run with no lid at all but my friend drilled holes in his lid. This gives you abit of more hp but you will have to clean your filter more.