PDA

View Full Version : Streetbikers, Help

A A R O N
08-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Okay, well I bought a suzuki katana 600 and I rode it one time about 100 miles. The next morning I found a few small holes inside the gas tank. I bought a new tank that wasn't rotting inside and now I can't figure out how to hook it up. The petcock has 3 outs on it. 2 big ones, one faces forward and one faces back. The other is a littler one facing out the side (inwards) The petcock isn't labled and the knob ony turns to two positions, up/down and right. At either position, gas comes out both larger holes, but it seems to be that there's only one gas line to the carbs:confused: Also, what is the third hookup for....I'm having trouble because this bike has bigger gixxer carbs on it so the hookups are different and I have nothing to go by. I just don't get how there can be two gas outputs and only one line to accept gas. BTW, before i took it off, the line was only connected, but I cannot remember which one. And I don't remember what, if anything, was connected to the second of the 2 larger outputs.

yamablaster24
08-20-2006, 10:35 AM
there should only be one gas line going to the tank for gas. The three positions are on off and reserve. Reserve should be facing upwards. The other two should be jsut vents and they will have lines going to them but nothing should come out of them. Thats how my cbr is.

A A R O N
08-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, there is just one gas line, but i can't figure out where it goes. There are two places where gas flows out no matter where the knob is turned. That's what I can't figure out. I think the petcock might be put together wrong. But I don't understand how it worked before I took the tank off and now, suddenly, I can't figure out how to make it stop flow out of one of the larger ports:mad:

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Pretty sure there were two fuel lines going to the original carbs on that bike. That's the two larger outlets. If your current carbs only have one inlet then either block one of the petcock outlets or get some T-fittings and join the two outlets into a single line.

The smaller petcock outlet on the back is a vacuum line. That petcock needs manifold vacuum to flow fuel while in the ON position. When it's in the PRI (prime) position it will flow without engine vacuum. A small vacuum line connects the petcock to a fitting on the intake manifold.

A A R O N
08-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks GP, that was helpful indeed. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

TheX1992
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
You're right, there are 3 lines. It's confusing. There is also a plug for the fuel gauge.

What I remember:

1.) The bigger hose with the 90º bend in it is for the vent. It should plug into the bottom of the tank and go down the frame on you're clutch (right) side.

2.) The one with the hose clamp in your main fuel line. It goes into the bigger port of the petcock.

3.) The smallest hose should go onto the back of the petcock. I'm not sure what it is, but that's where it goes.

And for position, the arrow pointing Down is On, towards the front is Off, and towards the rear is Reserve. I'm not sure about the PRI and all that either.

suck my pipe
08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Call your local suzuki dealership, ask to talk to service, and they should be able to help you .

QuadManKev
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
buy a different bike. katanas arent the greatest bikes after all.

A A R O N
08-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by QuadManKev

Thanks for your imput:scary:

It actually made me a little more wealthy and able to buy a brand new, nicer bike.

Thanks to you, I now know that I don't have the greatest bike in the world :grr:

00tn300ex
08-20-2006, 07:52 PM
wat about the petcock on ur old tank couldnt u just swap them and hook it up the same as u took it off

A A R O N
08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
The petcock I'm using is the same on as on the old tank. When we took it off, it was leaking so bad, we were scrambling to just yank everything of and didn't pay attention to how it hooked up. I didn't figure it would be this hard:confused:

UPDATE:

It seems that for the left two carbs and the right two carbs there are separate fuel lines. So...I just ran a line from the line facing out to the right side carbs and the line facing back to the left side carbs. I then hooked up the vacume line and the other vent line and let her rip. It's not leaking gas anywhere, and i can see it filling up the inline filters, but it wont start up. The plugs are fine and everything like that...It ran great when the first tank was taken off. There still seems to be a problem with getting gas. The cap is venting fine as well. Do I need to use some starting fluid to get the motor started enough to start sucking gas through? Suzuki:rolleyes: lol

TheX1992
08-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by QuadManKev

Yeah, and they aren't the worst either. Prick.

00tn300ex
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
im stumped on this one. im only used to a fuel injected bike but sounds like it may be vaporlocked or sumthing.i really dont know for sure just a suggestion

A A R O N
08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
vaporlocked?

00tn300ex
08-20-2006, 08:49 PM
yeah when air gets trapped in the system.like i said dont know if it can happen with a carb setup or not.

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Make sure it's on PRI (prime) at first. The ON position is only suppose to flow fuel when there is a vacuum signal from that little line connected to the manifold.

00tn300ex
08-20-2006, 09:26 PM
seen u had your 250r for sale.I hope u like the streetbike deal alot more than me.I dont have but 3000 miles on mine and been through 3 back tires.the 190,s get expensive.

A A R O N
08-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 00tn300ex
seen u had your 250r for sale.I hope u like the streetbike deal alot more than me.I dont have but 3000 miles on mine and been through 3 back tires.the 190,s get expensive.

Yeah, the 250r is still for sale...but don't worry. It's been replaced:devil: Right now the street bike is makin me so mad I can't enjoy it...but even when I can ride, it's not as much fun as a quad or dirtbike. I think I have a.d.d. or something cause whenever i'm on a street bike I get real bored with holding the bars steady all the time and just gliding along. I've got to be able to be on/off the throttle and go in whatever direction I want and just go crazy like on my quad. The road gets boring. Plus, theres no speed limit on the track/trails:macho

A A R O N
08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Make sure it's on PRI (prime) at first. The ON position is only suppose to flow fuel when there is a vacuum signal from that little line connected to the manifold.

That's the thing. I have no idea. The know only goes to 2 positions, it's like it doesn't have a prime or reserve. (either or) I've tried both spots and neither seems to work.

<DRS>GPF
08-21-2006, 11:09 AM
http://216.37.204.206/wps/Suzuki_OEM/SuzukiMC.asp?Type=13&A=212&B=38

you could always try sifting through the diagrams.. hopefully there's an exploded view of the fuel system..

z400roosteR
08-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Then stop doing burn-outs squid, there is no reason you should go through a tire every thousand miles. Either that or something is severly out of whack and it is causing an irregular wear on your tires.

QuadManKev
08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
Yeah, and they aren't the worst either. Prick.

ha thanks. your right they arent. theres actually nothing wrong with them either. i shouldnt say anything cause i cant even afford a bike right now....although im trying.

<DRS>GPF
08-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
That's the thing. I have no idea. The know only goes to 2 positions, it's like it doesn't have a prime or reserve. (either or) I've tried both spots and neither seems to work.

you could also try asking here (http://www.twowheelforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4).. im sure someone there would know..

00tn300ex
08-21-2006, 08:04 PM
z400 i dont do burnouts,have you ever even ridden a streetbike.leaning in the turns wears the sides out real quick and the road i lie on is all turns.try going into a turn at 130 and see how long tread last.the center still has plenty tread just not the sides

GPracer2500
08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
z400 i dont do burnouts,have you ever even ridden a streetbike.leaning in the turns wears the sides out real quick and the road i lie on is all turns.try going into a turn at 130 and see how long tread last.the center still has plenty tread just not the sides

What tire pressure are you running? Lets see a pic of your tire.

00tn300ex
08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
ill take a pic of it tommorow.i forget wat pressure im running wat the manual calls for.its just the road i live on is all curves and they had alot of wrecks on it so they paved it kinda rough for better traction in the winter.i run a dunlop 208 i know its a softer tire i just dont trust myself going into a curve and having it break loose.

00tn300ex
08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
gp racer how do u post a pic

suck my pipe
08-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Buy a Michelin, I bang turn's and mines lasting a wile. I think its called pilot race, i forget but tis sumthin like that. it's closest road tire I know of to a race slick. It has almost no grooves in it. just small ones for water.

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
gp racer how do u post a pic

Use the "attach file" feature near the bottom of the "post reply" screen or host your pics on imageshack, photobucket, etc. and use the IMG button.

suck my pipe
08-22-2006, 08:07 PM
haha, i just came to see what was added since i posted and I noticed my grammar was horible.

00tn300ex
08-22-2006, 08:08 PM
here it is

GPracer2500
08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
That center does not have "plenty of tread". Looks worn out all they way around.

00tn300ex
08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
yeah i misworded that.i meant that its worn even doesnt have chicken strips on the sides or nething.but thats the 3rd in less than 4000 miles.i figure its normal

yamablaster24
08-23-2006, 09:27 PM
I run the Dunlop 208 and its a great soft tire. I get about 2,000 out of mine and I rarely do a burnout or something stupid to get my license take away. I am proud to say that my tire is wore almost even all the way around, i have learned to lean into corners pretty good now and while sand-dirt-gravel on the road is always in the back of my mind i have yet to catch a patch while leanin sideways. I almost caught my knee yesterday in shorts and i realized that would have been wonderful!!

I find riding my bike through a windy high speed road is more thrilling then riding quads. And the sound of my vance n hines around 5100 RPM will never EVER get old it barks i swear. I believe the tire posted above is due for a new tire...i replace mine when they get to the tread bars.

GPracer2500
08-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Dragging a knee is one of the greatest feelings in all of street-motorsport. The first time it happens you WILL feel like a hero. Pick your times wisely though!

00tn300ex
08-24-2006, 07:06 PM
yeah i drag knee sometimes,but not alot since im hardly ever in my riding pants.i have laid mine down once i was doing a little over a hundred and went into a curve and a tractor trailer had ran on the shoulder and kicks up gravel across the entire lane.The one thing i do like about my quad,sliding on dirt feels alot better than asphault.