PDA

View Full Version : Where to get your cylinder deglazed?

Punk'd
08-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know of a place I can get my Trx450r cylinder deglazed and how much around it would cost me?

Im stummped on where to go, I was thinking Dobbs or something like that, but im not sure?

GPracer2500
08-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Any machine shop can deglaze your Nikasiled cylinder. It shouldn't cost much at all--there's no real machine work involved.

I'd just do it yourself. A flap-hone or ball-hone (Flex-Hone) makes quick work of it. You can even use a Scotch-Brite or similar abrasive pad and do it by hand (a popular method among 2 smoker dirt bike guys because there's a small risk of flaking the coating at the port edges using a ball-hone, but that's not a concern on a 4 stroke).

If you go the Flex-Hone route (I would) then I'm pretty sure what you want is the standard duty, 320 grit, 95mm Flex-Hone. Confirm that before you spend money on the wrong one.

http://www.brushresearch.com/images/Flex_Hone_Toools/BLOCKCYL.jpg

NorCalRacer
08-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah, you can buy the hohning attachment for under $10, that is definitely the way I would go.

Punk'd
08-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Where can I purchase the Flex-Hone? If you havent noticed we kind of have a lack of machine shops around here.

And that Scotch-Brite pad or whatever. Is there all diffrent kinds or is there just one in particular I need?

The Scotch-Brite pad would prolly be the easiest way to go for me. Did I mention I've never done this before? Would it be to much to ask if I asked you guys how the heck to do this?:confused:

NorCalRacer
08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
I would try Napa, it is a common and cheap tool. You put it in a drill and run it in the cylinder for a couple of minutes until you can see crosshatch pattern. You could probably do this by hand with emery cloth or a Scotch pad making criss-crossing diagonal strokes to achieve a crosshatch but a hohning bit will save you loads of time.