PDA

View Full Version : cam timing

Brandon350
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
I am rebuilding my 03 400 EX, I got it all put back together but I am having a problem with the cam timing, I line up the marks timing mark on the TDC mark and if I line up the cam gear it wont line up just right with the top of the cylinder head, if I move the gear a tooth then its too far. I put it together and it wont start, it will try to start kind of spitting and backfireing will turning it over. Am I doing something wrong I dont understand why the marks wont line up putting it back together it ran fine before.

GPracer2500
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
--How far off are the marks?
--Did you install the cam with the lobes facing up or down? (this doesn't really matter except if you install lobes facing up you've got to rotate the crank 360deg before adjusting the valves)
--Did you re-adjust the valves?
--Have you checked for consistant spark?
--Is the carb clean and with fresh fuel? (how long has it been apart?)

F-16Guy
08-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Also, there is more than one mark on the crank; are you sure you're lining it up on the correct mark? It should be the mark with a "T" by it.

Brandon350
08-20-2006, 09:29 AM
the marks arent off that far when I rotate it over in order for them to line up correctly the timing mark will line up with the F mark but if I move it a tooth to correct it is too far then, I havent touched the valves or the carb, I put fresh gas in, I noticed late last night that a little bit of gas was comming out of the over flow line, today I am going to take apart the carb and clean it and adjust the valves and see if that helps. Thanks for the replies.

JOEX
08-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Stock cam? If so do you have the decompression spring and plunger installed?

Brandon350
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
The plunger wasnt in but the spring was, so I will have to order a plunger, Thanks for the help!

cals400ex
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
i hope that plunger isn't floating around in your bottom end.