PDA

View Full Version : torque convertor bolts giving me hell

Stevie-D
08-19-2006, 09:09 PM
doing a motor swap in my 93 ram 150. been doing a little bit here and there when i have time. new motor is in it (318, same as i took out of it. the donor truck i got the motor out of has a 727 tranny, as does my truck. finally got the motor and tranny to line up and ive got them held together with 2 bolts for now.
next step is to bolt up the torque convertor. 4 bolts, torque them down and im all set, right?:huh well 3 of the bolts line up with the holes...and one is offset about an eighth of a inch to where i cant get the last bolt started. ive removed all the bolts, spun the convertor and tried all four different combinations that the bolts can line up. each time it is the same. tried using a larger nailset to line up the holes..will not budge.

got to the point where i was yellin, swearin, and throwin tools, so i decided to call it a night.

anybody have an idea why the one hole will not line up? all the bolts came out easily when i removed the old motor..

Doak450r
08-19-2006, 11:50 PM
you gotta put them all in a couple threads ten go around again and tighten. if not just swap torque converter and pressure plates

KH426
08-20-2006, 04:33 PM
You have to line up the mark on the flywheel with the mark on the converter. It will only bolt one way

Stevie-D
08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
i left them all loose to where there was some play between them..and tried rotating the convertor to line up all the different holes...might have missed one. hopefully i'll figure it out tomorrow..gotta get the truck out of the garage..already have an old chevy pickup that i gotta pull the motor out of for my buddies demo car. then my demo cars gotta get in there for some work before we run next week. ****s gonna hit the fan soon!!!

NorCalRacer
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Try using the flex plate off the original motor you pulled out.

Stevie-D
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
its bent now..never ever again will i buy a cheap engine stand. damn thing bent from the wait of the motor and tweaked the flexplate.

Stevie-D
08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
i'm sick of it. in the next couple of days its goin to the mechanic down the road. it can be his headache. id rather spend a buy bucks than keep wasting my time on it.

i spent some time messing with it tonight. tried lining them up all possible ways. still wont fit. darned close, but it wont fit.

i was looking at the flexplate on my old motor, and there is a sticker on it saying that it is a model year 1996 flexplate and to only replace it with the same year flexplate:huh my truck is a 93, which tells me that either the torque convertor or the motor is out of a 96. the flexplates on both engines appear to be the same. makes no sense to me that they would change the bolt pattern a fraction of an inch between those years:huh i must be missing something here.