PDA

View Full Version : Another new yfz owner with questions

A A R O N
08-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, I just got an 04 yfz 450....Havn't gotten a chance to ride it more than a few minutes, but when I did ride it for about 5 minutes, it seemed like it was running REALLY hot. Now, granted, I was in a pretty confined space and not gettin much air flow past the motor, and I had shorts on so maybe that's what made it feel like my leg was on fire:p Anyway, It just seemed hotter than my 250r....It didn't run bad or anything and the coolant levels are ok. I don't think it's lean on the jetting or anything either. Probably just some paranoid thoughts with it being a new bike to me, but oh well. Oh, and would header wrap help this a little to not be like a frickn fire right beside my leg lol?

Anyway...Just basically here to ask for some common tips to owning and maintaning a yfz successfully. I'm not clueless...I know I need to change the oil after every race or every couple hours of riding, clean the filter after each ride, keep things greased up, check fluid levels, keep bolts tight, etc... How often do you guys check your valves? It seems pretty tight on the yfz, is it a complicated task?

I just would like to know if there's anything yfz specific that I should keep an eye on.

Also, Is anybody running valvoline vr1 20w50 in their yfz? If so, have there been any issues with clutch slippage????

Thanks for taking your time to help,
Aaron

motomanmike
08-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I would run synthetic oil for sure. You sound pretty in tune with everything else. YFZs do run pretty warm compared to other quads i've ridden too. I run engine ice in mine.

beastlyone
08-21-2006, 08:02 PM
where would you guys pick up engine ice from?

motomanmike
09-02-2006, 05:07 AM
most of the dealerships sell engine ice or coolenal made by maxima. If not you can order it from just about any place that sells atv parts, rocky mtn, nacs, etc...

bsjoe
09-02-2006, 05:14 AM
I looked at your sig and doesnt seem like you have an aftermarket pipe on it.

The stock ones metal is pretty thin, so at night when you ride, you can see it glow really red... even during the day somtimes.

I had to buy boots because I got burns on my leg so bad at times (im a recreational rider.. doesnt usually wear the jersy and pants and stuff.

If you get an aftermarket pipe like i have which is an ESR Full its made from thicker metal and at night you can see it glowing a bit, but nothing like tthe stock one.

motomanmike
09-02-2006, 06:46 AM
BS JOE stock yfz's come pretty lean from the factory to pass emissions in california. If your pipe is glowing red, you are waaaay to lean on jetting. it may either be the pilot system that is to lean or the needle position, most likely the main needs to be adjusted also. Some people say, lean is mean however i've only found it to be mean on your wallet. It will crack valve guides.

tazman7
09-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by motomanmike
BS JOE stock yfz's come pretty lean from the factory to pass emissions in california. If your pipe is glowing red, you are waaaay to lean on jetting. it may either be the pilot system that is to lean or the needle position, most likely the main needs to be adjusted also. Some people say, lean is mean however i've only found it to be mean on your wallet. It will crack valve guides.

These yfz's always have glowing pipes- mine is jetted perfect and if I start it at night it glows...
Run Amsoil 10w-40 4 stroke oil

rockman
09-02-2006, 04:19 PM
hey just my 2 cents too add here. coming from a 250r myself.. what you are probably feeling is the fan. I know it makes a huge difference feeling that fan blowing the hot air. I thought my z was doing the same thing, but i realized its just from not being used to the fan blowing.

crayfz
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
There way to lean, from the factory, put a bigger main it in for starters, it will still glow at idle, but will not burn through your boots.

motomanmike
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
hey thats all good if your lights burn out the pipe will guide the way LOL

intruder
09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Arron that quad is not lean maybe just a tad on the rich side all the 450 pipes will glow when sitting there idling or just putting around.

A A R O N
09-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by intruder
Arron that quad is not lean maybe just a tad on the rich side all the 450 pipes will glow when sitting there idling or just putting around.

Yeah, so far it hasn't given me any problems and the spark plug remains within spec, so i'm not too worried about it. When I rode it at you house though, I guess I didn't ride it long enough haha.....cause as soon as I got it home I tried to ride it right away (with shorts on) and, well, lets just say.....never again:p

tye101
09-04-2006, 04:37 AM
my yfz's pipe glows red hot, i know it is running lean,, but it has never been to hot for my leg,,