View Full Version : Im buying a 250r tomorrw...

300excrazy98
08-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Is there anything i should look for before giving the buy the money? I dont know much about r's except they are fast...lol anyway is there anythin i should look for that will give me problems in the future?

I know look for rust on the frame, cracks in the cases... but what else should i be looking at??

thanks

Cr85rRida
08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
test drive it, go threw all the gears. Check for oil leaks, coolant leakes by the water pump, basic stuff also like bent frame, cracked swingarm and bent rims bad tires.

exrider008
08-19-2006, 06:33 PM
bearings/seals, brakes, chain/sprockets,cracks in plastic, shifts through gears good, clutch dosnt slip. i could go on and on just look over the hold bike and mike sure everything is ok.

smoxy
08-20-2006, 05:42 AM
Look for axle slop by putting the swinger up on a milk crate or something and see if you can wiggle the axle any! As well check for any mysterious clumps on the cases that might be a patch job that was tig welded or worse JB welded. Especially around the front sprocket. All these things knock down the price a little but all and all it's an "R" and should be bought anyways for the right price! You'll never look back!

atvmxr
08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
did you buy it??
The spots to check on the frame are around the swingarm bolt and engine mounts

300excrazy98
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
well guys, i bought it for $1700

its got

new HD yukon gears
hinson clutch basket
cases milled out for a 340
new top end
new crank
pep shocks
baldwin case saver
k&n air filter
laeger swinger
new black plastics
nacs graphics and seat cover
renthal bars
billet twist throttle
msr shorty perch
tether kill switch
champion beadlocks in back with razrs
and some other stuff

it has a small oil leak from the base gasket.. so im putting a whole new top end

it has lots of PC..

it thought it was a good deal, its real real fast!! oh and the cylinder he said was bored to 72mm.. what CC is that?

TheFontMaster
08-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Given that you don't find any other problems other than the base gasket, you got one hell of a deal on that 250r. Post up some pics of it.:cool:

deathman53
08-20-2006, 03:54 PM
72mm is equal to a 295 bore or as many call it a 310. You got a real good deal if thats all you paid for it.

300excrazy98
08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
ok so its a 295? where can i get a piston for her? currently its in peices as i started to rip it aprt for the new gasket...! ill get pics of it when its done!!! it is fast as hell, thats all i can say!

oh and one more question, does it matter if you have the motormout that mounts to the head?

elchankoblanko
08-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 300excrazy98
oh and one more question, does it matter if you have the motormout that mounts to the head?

some people dont run one and i dont think its a real big deal if you dont (ive never done it though) its there and i use it and i would imagine it would help with less vibration

TheFontMaster
08-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 300excrazy98
ok so its a 295? where can i get a piston for her? currently its in peices as i started to rip it aprt for the new gasket...! ill get pics of it when its done!!! it is fast as hell, thats all i can say!

You dont need it, I run one, but I don't bolt it down to the head. For the piston, is the big bore in the R a stock cylinder re-sleeve? If it is I would say its a LA sleeve 310 resleeve. Try contactine Neil at C-Leigh racing.

deathman53
08-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I use the head stays on trx frames, atc frames, not really needed. Some say that the head stays crack, I would put in in the frame and tighten the bolts, but don't put the bolt in on the cylinder if you don't like them. The head stays add rigidity to the frame and stop some flexxing, honda put it there for a reason. On the atc frames, its just another point to hook the motor to, but on the trx frame its part of the frame and adds strength as it join two sections together that can flex.