PDA

View Full Version : Can not get the rear preload set

10-12-2001, 04:26 PM
What is the ticket to doing this? I have tried channel locks (no room), hammer and punch-does not work on this lame version-works well on a real THREADED preload adjuster. I have tried spinning the spring. What else? Sure I could buy a spanner wrench but how do I know there will be enough room for that? I know that not every person here has a spanner wrench but about everyone here has adjusted preload. What else can I try. I am all for proper tools and everything (have a Craftsman catolog worth of tools) but through all my dirtbikes never needed a dang spanner wrench.

trueblue450
10-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Ohh boy,

I remember doing this. Yes Honda decided to put the rear shock adjustment in the easiest place to get to. If I remember correctly, I just took the air box completely off. Then put a pair of channels in there turned it as much as a could. Stuck a screwdriver in there, and turned it the rest of the way to click. PAIN IN THE A:devil :devil .

FRONTS EASIER I SUPPOSE, just put the channel locks in there. Turn. Don't know if you need help with that. Another tool that we used on my friend EX since he didn't have a channel locks around, was a oil filter wrench. It was big enough and just clamped on it. (dont know if its called that)

10-14-2001, 04:07 PM
1. Remove airbox
2. Grab with hands.
3. Twist.
4. If can not do step 3 go to the gym.

Got the job done.