PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech Speedometer

PismoGuy400
08-25-2002, 11:16 PM
....ive been wanting one of theese for a little while, but ive been wondering...how accurate are they?

i dont want something that doesnt function properly...

how easy are they to hook up?...

what all is displayed at one time?, do you have to go to a different mode for every thing you want to find out?...top speed, distance, etc....

if you are familiar w/ theese please feel free to leave any good points or bad points about theese....

thanks
pismoguy

Doibugu2
08-26-2002, 08:57 AM
There is already a thread a while back about this if you would like more info.

They only take 1/2 to install. I could probably do yours in 10 since I know what I am doing now. Just make sure you take off your right front tire. Finding where to put it takes the longest.

There is basically 3 modes that you can choose from. Not sure what is on each one, because I rarely every change it. The main mode show: Ride Time, MPH, Trip Odometer.
Other things it has is regular odometer, total ride time, average speed, top speed.

Thing I like the most is the setups for oil & maintenance. I use mine for gas and oil changes. It will flash when you need gas and oil.

The only thing that is a little different is the digital speedo, its just like in the car, it updates like every sec or so.

I don't look at as much as I thought I would, because we usually ride in tight woods so I have to watch where I am going, and don't look at it much.

PM if you want more info.

crazy canadian
08-26-2002, 09:54 AM
don't get any gas on it, they tend to MELT!!!!!! (literaly)

PismoGuy400
08-26-2002, 11:25 PM
thanks for all the info , doibugu...but...

1 more question, is it accurate, how does it measure the speed, is it satelite, likg a gps or is it something connected to the quad?...

thanks again
pismoguy

one more thing, if you bought a new quad would you buy another one?, IOW was it worth the money

Atomic83
08-26-2002, 11:37 PM
It has a sensor that runs down to the front brake rotor. It is pretty accurate, but it has a little delay in displaying the speed. I mainly have mine so I can keep up with my hours. And yes I would buy another one if I needed to.

TravEX
08-27-2002, 05:45 AM
you calibrate the Trail Tech by your tire size, so it is only as accurate as your measurement of the tire is, see what i mean,,,later

tprender
08-27-2002, 06:57 AM
I got one this past spring and it is well worth the money for me. I have used it to help lay out the courses for my Hare Scrambles races. The riders all want to know how long the cours was and I had to find someone (a bike rider to do it). Now I can do it my self. The thing that I like best is the average speed when riding and the fastest speed that you rode. Like he said it is hard to see when riding somethimes, you have to watch the trail and looking down is hard. I like it just for the average and top speed to look at when stopped.
Yes I would buy another one if I sold my 440. My friend got one because he liked mine so much and put it on his raptor.

Doibugu2
08-27-2002, 08:24 AM
I would say they are accurate. They do have somewhat of a delay, but after I thought about it for awhile it is just like it is in a car with a digital dash. If you really jump on it hard, the speedo will like skip 3-5 mph. What I mean is it will go from 5mph, 10mph, 13mph, 18mph. It is just the delay in updating.

The wire from the back of the mount gets screwed onto your brake caliper and you take a bolt out of your rotor and replace it with the one they give you. It just has a magnet on the back for the sensor to pick up. Go to a bicycle shop and I bet they will have one with a similar setup.

For $80 they are worth the info and I would get another. But if your tight on cash, I would consider it more of an accessory rather than something necessary.

If this means anything, the guy I ride with we both got our quads about 3 months ago. I got mine the first week I had my quad, and he just bought his last week because he liked mine so much.

PismoGuy400
08-27-2002, 12:23 PM
ok thanks guys...i think im gonna be getting one....either from the quadshop or rocky mountain, thanks again

pismoguy

08-27-2002, 12:42 PM
the exriders store has them on sale right now for cheap...

anybody out there got a formula for a 23 inch tire... I'm lazy and can't do math..:o

JabberJaw
08-27-2002, 01:07 PM
I found that if you ride naked...you get better gas mileage.

SubnetZero
09-01-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by crazy canadian
don't get any gas on it, they tend to MELT!!!!!! (literaly)

Found out the hard way about that heh.. I got a little gas on it and it looks like it was dumped in a acid tank :eek:

I haven't been by there yet, but I think Walmart sells just the computer cheap (like $20 -$30)

Atomic83
09-01-2002, 05:46 PM
I busted my screen and Trail Tech replaced it for $20.