PDA

View Full Version : 250R Won't Start....

Pro1200
08-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Well the other day I washed down the quad. Then the next day till now it wont start. The engine cranks over when you kick it like normal but it just wont start. It sounds like its about to start but just wont.

I checked the following:

-checked plug and even replaced it.....its gets spark too
-checked compression and its perfect
-checked to make sure the wires are clean an plugged in together perfect
-checked ground wire
- Its got a full tank of gas
-I cleaned out carb and saw a little bit of water at the bottom of float and cleaned it out as well as tank.
-I treid pushing it an starting it an nothing

And it still wont start..I'm thinking its got to be electronic..
Any ideas???

I also searched an can't find anything......

matt250r21
08-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Pull the side cover/ stator flywheel and drain the pond. Bet you have water in the side cover.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-18-2006, 08:09 PM
& give it a real good coating of WD40 as well.
Neil

Pro1200
08-18-2006, 08:29 PM
I took off the stator cover and found no water..
Now should I take off flaywheel to spray cables w/ wd-40...
also to do so I'm using my impact gun to take off nut no flywheel puller..Then what should I do?

Dave83
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Get the clymer manual out or there may be something at the front of this forum to check the stator.The last stator I had go out was after I washed it and loaded it on a trailer,drove 130miles to a race and it never hit again.It had weak fire and would pull start (only by dragging it around the Tulsa fairgrounds for 45 min).The pickup went out without any warning.

C-LEIGH RACING
08-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Sometimes on those old R ignitions it can get gunked up behind the mounting points of the case & the stator plate & loose ground & just that little bit of WD40 will make connection & the ignition will spark again.
Every one of my Rs have a small hole drilled it the cover at the bottom to let the moisture out & all have a good coating of WD at least after one or two races.
Neil

elchankoblanko
08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Where exactly do you spray the wd-40 once you take off the cover?

lee37vernon
08-20-2006, 12:19 PM
everywhere ! back of flywheel , all connections , stator the lot .

Pro1200
08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
alright i will spray it once I get flyweheel off but also it does have spark....

Pro1200
08-21-2006, 04:35 PM
I just noticed that pipe was leaking on to ground. So I took it off an ended up finding a huge gas mixture left in the pipe...Whats this mean? I'm not sure if there water water in the solution but it was pretty good amount. it looks like it settled in middle of pipe since it sits at an angle..

Whats this mean? What should I do?

Pro1200
08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
anybody?????:confused:

Aceman
08-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Did you check you're airbox for water? Clean and reoil your filter? Completely drain your fuel tank to make sure no water is at the bottom being sucked into your carb. Then clean your carb again to make sure no water is still in it. Did you check your float height? Check fuel hose coming into carb for steady gas flow. Now try and start it.

EDIT: Make sure you blow through the carb with compressed air and carb/brake cleaner.

Pro1200
08-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Did you check you're airbox for water? Clean and reoil your filter? Completely drain your fuel tank to make sure no water is at the bottom being sucked into your carb. Then clean your carb again to make sure no water is still in it. Did you check your float height? Check fuel hose coming into carb for steady gas flow. Now try and start it.

EDIT: Make sure you blow through the carb with compressed air and carb/brake cleaner.

airbox has no water...havent reoiled it cause its K&N
fully cleaned out carb and went through it and sucked on it...
drained tank already...has steady gas flow,...and still nothing

Pro1200
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I checked stator for restistance since I have the manual and it read 196 ohms..so thats good...

my guess it has to either be the cdi, or pulse generator (as the manual calls it)

TheFontMaster
08-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Pro1200
I checked stator for restistance since I have the manual and it read 196 ohms..so thats good...

my guess it has to either be the cdi, or pulse generator (as the manual calls it)

You said there was gas in the pipe. That could mean that the carb is flooding the engine. My carb was doing that, I had to pull start it, and it was really boggy untill I reved it a bit to clear it out, and that whole time it was spitting gas out of the exaust. Try pull starting your quad and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, and you still think it is the CDI, I have a stock one here that when I took it off my quad, it worked. I'll sell ya that if nothin works out for ya.

Pro1200
08-22-2006, 09:06 PM
gas in pipe= the problem

i just got it started an it covered my garage in gas...

So my question is why is the pipe getting so much gas??

TheFontMaster
08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Pro1200
gas in pipe= the problem

i just got it started an it covered my garage in gas...

So my question is why is the pipe getting so much gas??

Chances are that the float in your carb is stuck, and is letting too much gas into the cylder. You ether need to clean the carb better, or rebuild it. Try push starting it and see what happens, it should run and start spittin gas out the tail pipe.

Pro1200
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
yep its the float..like 95% sure it is..

C-LEIGH RACING
08-23-2006, 07:16 AM
When the fuel tank petcock is working like its suppost to & turned off when the engines not running, the carb cant flood the engine.

:eek: I know theres not a rider alive that stops riding, shuts the engine off, & dont turn the gas petcock off, that right, every rider does that right.
Neil

Pro1200
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
I know ..i tun gas off after I ride...but problem was the flaot..had itty bit of dirt in it..

C-LEIGH RACING
08-23-2006, 09:42 AM
That can happen & it makes no difference whos bike it is. Something as small as the thickness of a hair can stop the inlet needle from seating & cause the carb to flood.
You want to hear something crazy,,, listen to this,,you put a inline fuel filter in the supply line & for the most part it filters the fuel like its suppost to, but you enter water & dirt or mud into the fuel tank somehow & that water will carry the dirt or trash right through the filter & into the carb. Its crazy makes no sence, but it can happen.
Something else, those vent tubes hanging off the sides of the carb, do you know what they do. They are for allowing air to enter the float bowl area.
When the engine is running & air is being drawn through the carb bore, fuel is sucked up through the main jet tube & air is mixed with that fuel to turn it into a mist to make the engine run right.

With that being said, you guys with carb that have little short vent tubes or no tube at all on those vent nipples, can you guess where the dirt or trash is comming from thats getting in the bowl of your carb.
Neil

86 Quad R
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
sorry to H-jack but, this is on the lines of your problem Pro1200.

neil is there anyway that a water trap could be made/used beween the tank and carb?

i frequent the creeks where my quad is under water alot. well, long story short my tank will draw water in through the vent tube and flow to the carb causing problems from time to time, water/trash as you described.

Pro1200
08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
its cool 86 Quad R

C-LEIGH RACING
08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
It could be done.
You remember the glass bowl things like was on the oil drum outside the house for the heating system, that was a trap filter to catch the water or trash before in went through the line & into the house.
Briggs & Stratton for years had a smaller version of that trap under the gas tanks of all side shaft engines. You can still buy those trap filters at different places.
Neil

Pro1200
08-26-2006, 07:02 PM
new problem...the quad wont idle..It only starts i give it full throttle and everytime I let of the gas it shuts off cause has no idle..I tried adjusting the knob on the carb and nothing..

Aceman
08-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Did you blow through the carb with compressed air and carb cleaner? Maybe your pilot circuit is plugged with dirt. Sounds like it only runs when the carb starts using the needle and main jet circuit.

Iliketogofast
08-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Look at your drain hoses coming from your carburetor. The reason you had gas in the pipe was because you either didn't shut the gas off completely or didn't shut it off at all and your drain tube is stuck so that it won't let the excess out.

You need to take the plug out and kick the motor over until moisture stops coming from the hole. Kick it over for at least a minute non stop.

When you're done, take the mainjet cover from the bottom of the carb off in order to drain the float, then make sure all of your overflow tubes are free. Then screw your mainjet cover back in and start the engine.

Pro1200
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Aceman I already did that...

Iliketogofast tried that an wont start at all...